Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > some type of powder/grain to clean dyson vacs.....

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
stephenbrown2

some type of powder/grain to clean dyson vacs.....
Original Message   Nov 23, 2011 1:26 pm
I was thinking....could you use maybe rice (smallest grain you could find) or maybe dry corn meal to suck up into a dyson regularly to clean out the insides of the cyclone thingies.......??????

Of course, you would have to do this before it was plugged, and make sure you had installed clean filters before doing this (and perhaps afterward too).......

just curious what the pro's out there might think about this......

by the way, both these methods work fantastically well for crystal goblets and decanters......just fantastic way to clean these things........

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
procare

Re: some type of powder/grain to clean dyson vacs.....
Reply #1   Nov 24, 2011 12:02 pm
stephen,

Nice thought but corn meal or any other powder would be out because it would clog as well.  Tried the rice and  had seen no significant reduction of dust and dirt buildup on cyclones. Good idea tho. Tried it on a customers cleaner twice to be sure.

Procare

vacmanuk

Reply #2   Nov 24, 2011 5:59 pm
Also, rice - unless its washed and then dried - has a powdery film, so it would add more "dust" to the cyclones. I think the best way is the pressured air video that was put on You Tube ages ago, albeit getting messy in the process unless you direct the bin out into the open/outdoors with the pressured jet inside at the top of the cyclones - or however it works. Not a problem of course if you have a bagged vacuum : )
Venson

Reply #3   Nov 24, 2011 7:11 pm
Hi,

Cleaning out a Dyson requires real effort.  Has yours had a significant drop in performance?  If your reason is loss of performance take your cleaner to a good vacuum shop and have it cleaned.  If that's not affordable, see the following link and consider it ONLY if your of the handy sort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jycqEzbkKOM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqx8CzAxeUA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9lon_AbhY&feature=related

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Nov 24, 2011 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #4   Nov 27, 2011 10:19 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Also, rice - unless its washed and then dried - has a powdery film, so it would add more "dust" to the cyclones. I think the best way is the pressured air video that was put on You Tube ages ago, albeit getting messy in the process unless you direct the bin out into the open/outdoors with the pressured jet inside at the top of the cyclones - or however it works. Not a problem of course if you have a bagged vacuum : )

I did have a thought later on in the week - cotton wool $#%* ? Small enough to insert into a cyclone, but then they may well get clogged.
Venson

Reply #5   Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm
Hi vacmanuk/stephenbrown2,

I don't know that there's anything you can really do for a bagless machine except manually clean it, one way or another, if your disturbed by internal dust and dirt build-up.  Doing so may mean having to consider warranty issues.

In any event, even for the fastidious such a task can prove pretty tedious work and I can't I imagine the worth of the reward for all that effort since the "clean machine" look only lasts for a couple of cleanings.  (Vacuum cleaners are supposed to save the user time and effort, not make more work.)  Clear plastic containers and airways on most bagless machines get grungy looking from use.  Having no place to blow them out, the only satisfying solution to the problem I ever found was dismantling the collection bin and using mild detergent and water to wash parts offendiing my eye.  Though I washed filters frequently, I didn't brave completely cleaning a collection bin and cyclones more than absolutely necessary.  I took too long to feel assured they'd had a proper amount of time to dry.

Note:  my bin cleanig effort was more to assure the machine kept operating properly than for aesthetics. I learned early that if airlfow in the cyclone area was hindered by dirt or debris build-up, filtration suffered.  Anyway . . .

The cyclones should be allowing only the travel of air and very fine dust before incoming air's cleaned by the pre-motor filters.  Ideally, stephenbrown2, particles as heavy as grains of rice should be immediately falling to the bottom of the collection bin though due to size and velocity they might loosen dust and dirt in air ways that lead to the bin. 

Vacmanuk, the automatic censoring thing for whatever reason obscured what you input after the word cotton.  If you meant cotton swabs, there's a company that sells the like with over-sized rayon tips that bear a stick length of eight inches.  Sounds like a messy prospect but they might be used to swish around the inside and outside of individual cyclones and loosen adhering dirt.  I don't know if stephenbrown2 will approve the cost of approximately $85.00 for a pack of 500.  Please check out the following link but be advised I have no affiliation with Puritan, the swab's maker, or Amazon (other than giving them too much money).

http://www.amazon.com/Puritan-808-BULK-Oversized-Applicators-Non-Sterile/dp/B003IT75R6/ref=sr_1_20?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1322428561&sr=1-20

Best,

Venson

mole

Reply #6   Nov 28, 2011 10:39 am
I would cook the rice and have myself a nice chicken and rice dinner. Personally the cyclones should be teflon coated. But that aint gonna happen.

The cyclones have to  cleaned with high pressure rince and dried manually.Trust me i tried the easy way out of this.It just would not come out right.........

Mole

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Nov 28, 2011 5:58 pm
mole wrote:
I would cook the rice and have myself a nice chicken and rice dinner. Personally the cyclones should be teflon coated. But that aint gonna happen.

The cyclones have to  cleaned with high pressure rince and dried manually.Trust me i tried the easy way out of this.It just would not come out right.........

Mole

Teflon doesn't repel dust though.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42