Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Miele vs Simplicity vs something else?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
pereztr

Miele vs Simplicity vs something else?
Original Message   May 24, 2011 7:47 am
Everyone recommends a different vacuum--I thought I narrowed it down to a Miele canister (for my mix of hardwood and area rugs), but doing further research I found out about Simplicity and Sebo.  So what to buy?  The sales guy at my local shop suggested a Miele Polaris (S4 series).  I'm not thrilled about spending $400, but I want to get something that is effective (my husband and daughter have dust allergies), easy to use (I'm not a great housekeeper) and will last--my husband doesn't want to buy another vacuum cleaner (haha).  After reading their brochure, I called about the Miele Olympus (S2 series), which is $100 cheaper.  I'm not convinced the Polaris is worth the extra $100--any thoughts?  Can I add the carpet attachments to the Olympus if I need to down the road?  Is it worth looking into the Sebo or Simplicity?  I would have to drive an hour to a shop that sells either of those.  And then there's the Panasonic--cheaper, but worth it?  I appreciate any feedback I can get.
Replies: 16 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
travstyles

Re: Miele vs Simplicity vs something else?
Reply #16   Jun 5, 2011 7:43 pm
To the original poster...my advice would be to buy the Miele S2 Delphi, for a few reasons: It is made in Germany and uses the 1200W Miele Vortex motor (the same as all other current Miele vacuums). It uses the larger G/N bags, which hold quite a bit more compared to the FJM of the S4. WHen you have pets, that makes a difference. Finally, it comes with an electrified hose with pistol grip, on/off switch for the power nozzle, a telescoping electrified wand, and the SEB 217 nozzle. This is a small and quiet nozzle, and while it does have soft bristles, combined with the Miele suction it wants for nothing in regards to pet hair pickup...it's very effective. It also has a squeegee-type strip behind the brushes that catches everything...it's a very effective hard-floor nozzle. The 217 is so light and quiet (and gentle) that I often connect it directly to the handle and use it for stairs or the couch. At $499.00 in the US, it's an incredible deal, unbeatable in my opinion. If you opt for spending $99 more, you can get the red Titan which adds a bare floor tool and a HEPA filter...the Delphi uses the clean air filter that comes with each box of bags, and is quite effective in my opinion. It's also upgradeable to the HEPA. I don't work for Miele, but I do have an S4 and an S2, and the S2 is a better machine in every way (bigger bag capacity, power nozzle). I hope that maybe helps you in some way.
vacmanuk

Reply #17   Jun 7, 2011 9:59 am
travstyles wrote:
To the original poster...my advice would be to buy the Miele S2 Delphi, for a few reasons: It is made in Germany and uses the 1200W Miele Vortex motor (the same as all other current Miele vacuums). It uses the larger G/N bags, which hold quite a bit more compared to the FJM of the S4. WHen you have pets, that makes a difference. Finally, it comes with an electrified hose with pistol grip, on/off switch for the power nozzle, a telescoping electrified wand, and the SEB 217 nozzle. This is a small and quiet nozzle, and while it does have soft bristles, combined with the Miele suction it wants for nothing in regards to pet hair pickup...it's very effective. It also has a squeegee-type strip behind the brushes that catches everything...it's a very effective hard-floor nozzle. The 217 is so light and quiet (and gentle) that I often connect it directly to the handle and use it for stairs or the couch. At $499.00 in the US, it's an incredible deal, unbeatable in my opinion. If you opt for spending $99 more, you can get the red Titan which adds a bare floor tool and a HEPA filter...the Delphi uses the clean air filter that comes with each box of bags, and is quite effective in my opinion. It's also upgradeable to the HEPA. I don't work for Miele, but I do have an S4 and an S2, and the S2 is a better machine in every way (bigger bag capacity, power nozzle). I hope that maybe helps you in some way.

The OP had actually considered the S2 and also considered SEBO, also made in Germany. With SEBO you get HEPA/S Class as standard and the models are far more efficient offering the floor tools with little price changes. My original feeling was to offer the OP choices of remaining lightweight for a canister since this is what they preferred and having hard floor for the majority of the time over a few spare area rugs doesn't warrant the extra expense of a powered brush in my experience. Having both the S2 and S4, I know what I prefer when it comes to quality. Here in the UK, so many different sellers are selling the base S5210 and S5211 models that it doesn't make much sense to consider the S2, one of the reasons to why Miele are still keeping the S4 in production a little longer even though the S6 is taking its place. The S2 just isn't very well made; you can see that when you open the bin door and watch the suction control bend inwards.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   Jun 8, 2011 1:51 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
The OP had actually considered the S2 and also considered SEBO, also made in Germany. With SEBO you get HEPA/S Class as standard and the models are far more efficient offering the floor tools with little price changes. My original feeling was to offer the OP choices of remaining lightweight for a canister since this is what they preferred and having hard floor for the majority of the time over a few spare area rugs doesn't warrant the extra expense of a powered brush in my experience. Having both the S2 and S4, I know what I prefer when it comes to quality. Here in the UK, so many different sellers are selling the base S5210 and S5211 models that it doesn't make much sense to consider the S2, one of the reasons to why Miele are still keeping the S4 in production a little longer even though the S6 is taking its place. The S2 just isn't very well made; you can see that when you open the bin door and watch the suction control bend inwards.

And it took someone else for you to acknowledge-

vacmanuk wrote:
 They did not mention Miele's S2, Mike.....

Mike_W wrote:
 The OP did mention the S2, so I made a comment. 

vacmanuk

Reply #19   Jun 8, 2011 9:13 pm
Mike_W wrote:

Oh I do apologise. In the meantime I wonder if the review channels have abbysguide on their review pages.
Lucky1

Reply #20   Jun 17, 2011 2:54 pm
travstyles wrote:

There is no comparison between the S4 and S2 comparing build quality and Sealed system. The S4 is a VERY well built, solid machine with a totally sealed system. I hope the new replacement for the S4 will have the same quality as the present S4 and not the S2.
vacmanuk

Reply #21   Jun 20, 2011 8:53 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
There is no comparison between the S4 and S2 comparing build quality and Sealed system. The S4 is a VERY well built, solid machine with a totally sealed system. I hope the new replacement for the S4 will have the same quality as the present S4 and not the S2.

Well as the owner of the new S6 which is the replacement for the S4, have a look at this German video on You Tube. You don't need to understand the German language to see what the poster has done - they compared the S6 to the S5 and the S6 seems okay until he/she hits a screwdriver off the side. (The music is fab though : ) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-hpFpdLw8
This message was modified Jun 20, 2011 by vacmanuk
Replies: 16 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42