Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Future Buy: Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 vs. Kirby Avalir?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
adamlau

Future Buy: Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 vs. Kirby Avalir?
Original Message   Apr 2, 2011 6:20 am
To shampoo the carpet only, would the Avalir (based experiences with the Sentria and past Kirby models) be as effective as the X3 and/or vice-versa?

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Trebor

Re: Future Buy: Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 vs. Kirby Avalir?
Reply #1   Apr 2, 2011 10:09 am
The Kirby shampooer does an excellent job. Like any piece of equipment it has a learning curve, albeit not a terribly steep one. Dirt removal is greatly enhanced by foloowing with an extractor, using plain water with white vinegar to rinse.
adamlau

Reply #2   Apr 2, 2011 3:29 pm
So an extractor is still required after the shampoo...

Trebor

Reply #3   Apr 3, 2011 8:58 am
It works better that way. You are using less water to dissolves stains and grime, and less water to pick them up, hence a shorter drying time. I don't think the time spent is much longer, just have to use the 2nd piece of equipment. I have obtained fantastic results in this manner.
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #4   Apr 3, 2011 7:19 pm
If you choose to go with a separate extractor, I'd would recommend that you go for the new Bissell BigGreen upright over the Rug Doctor. As an owner, I can vouch for how well this machine performs. It is really built solid, does a great job at removing sand and grit from the carpet knap, and carpets are dry in around an 1.5 - 2 hours. It also has a 5 year warranty. They go for $600 at Lowes, or sometimes lower on HSN. I think the Bissell is easier to use than the Rug Doctor, and leaves the carpet far less saturated than the Mighty Pack/Wide Track machines I've rented in the past.
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Just

Reply #5   Apr 4, 2011 4:25 pm
I must preface with the fact that I have been a Kirby fan since practically birth.  Mom said I learned to walk pushing a Kirby.   With that said, I don't care for Kirby's shampoo system.  It leaves a sticky residue, it wets the carpet too much in my opinion. 

For those that use the Kirby then an extractor, that would be the best of both worlds, except it is a lot of extra work, and you still have to deal with the foam in the extractor pan.  I would just use a good extractor with a scrubbing brush and save the Kirby for what it's best at .  Deep cleaning vacuuming.

As for the Avalir, I was not aware that model had been released by Kirby yet, so am hence unable to comment on the machine itself, but past Kirbys have been long lasting, but on the expensive side.  My rule is "Never pay Retail" Never.  There is asking and what they will take price,  usually somewhere in between half.

Trebor

Reply #6   Apr 4, 2011 7:41 pm
Just,

I too learned to walk pushing a Kirby. I never cared for the shampoo system until the G series. The tank holds more solution, the suds control is a major plus.  The suds wet the carpet less than an extractor, especially if time is taken to let the brush pick up all the suds it can.  Best results are obtained when shampooing about a 4'x4' area at a time, scrubbing and picking up as you go. Once a carpet is really clean 3 pints is enough to maintain a 12' x 15' area, and approximately 50% of that is picked up in the tray. less than one gallon is needed to rinse, and about 75% of that can be recovered, so just under 4 pints, 64 ounces, are left in 180 square feet of carpet,  about 1/3 of an ounce of liquid per square foot.  The key phrases here are once the carpet is clean and maintaining. Dirty carpet takes more suds, more scrubbing and more liquid, and a longer drying time, but the Kirby followed by extraction can do an excellent job, surpassed only by the dry host system, in my opinion.

Trebor
This message was modified Apr 4, 2011 by Trebor
Just

Reply #7   Apr 5, 2011 4:08 pm
Trebor,

Thank you for the info.  I must confess that my bias is very old as I didn't care for the Renovator on the Tradition model, haven't used it since.  Since I have the attachment for my Ultimate G, I shall one day unlatch my mind and give it another try.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #8   Apr 5, 2011 4:19 pm
Before the popularity of the "steam cleaning" machines for residential use,  I used the dry foam method.  I cleaned my carpeting w/ Kirby's rug renovator and received fine results.  The secret is to know how to do it and do it right.  If it is done correctly, there should be no problem of sticky carpeting and/or soil buildup.  The same can be said w/ the wet "steam cleaning" method.  If it is not done correctly, you can get back results.
procare

Reply #9   Apr 5, 2011 7:05 pm
Mike W,

You are right in what you said about capet cleaning. The correct term about the so called steam cleaning is hot water extraction. It had been found  that real steam would damage the carpets made of synthetic fibers. One does not clean a cotton, wool, wool blend carpet with hot water extraction cleaners. Do it yourselfers have the following companies to get Shampooers that are best to use on carpets. Aerus Floor Pro, Kirby , ,and Tristar ( Aerus Floor Pro) . The Host dry powder does work but only if the people have a good cleaner to pick up the powder. Not all vacuums can clean well enough to get it out.

When someone says a sticky residue  is left you have to ask what brand of detergent is used . Over 95% of all shampooes leave a sticky residue. Even the Steamers do. Aerus, Kirby, and Von Schrader shampooes don't leave a sticky residue.

If the pictures  that are on the U.S. Patent for Kirby is any indication of what is to come they will use  2 srushes instead of the one they have now. I find it surprising to see a power head attachment. It is logical tho tyo go where the upright can't  go like under the bed and some furniture. Interesting stuff. All patent info is 2005-2010..

Procare

Trebor

Reply #10   Apr 8, 2011 4:27 pm
Just,

When you try the G series shampooer, remember one capful of Kirby shampoo is enough, 1 and 1/3 if the water is hard. The suds have to be dry enough to foam, but wet enough to clean, and be picked up in the tray. Too dry, no cleaning, too wet, not enough pickup.
Rinsing with an extractor with plain water and vinegar greatly enhances soil and suds removal.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42