Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
procare

Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Original Message   Aug 7, 2010 10:01 pm
   Customers are coming in  asking  about bags, belts and filters for cleaners that Wal Mart sells. They were told they were discontinuing these products and want the customers to go online when they need these items. When you need a belt or anything else ,it is," I need it now", not days from now. These customers didn't like being told they had to go to another store if they had what they needed. In our area it is 20 miles in three directions for a store.

Many small businesses have been driven out of business by this company as well as other big box stores.I feel there will be a ressurection of the Independent Vac Shops because people will find getting parts and service there is better than going online and waiting. Looking at a cleaner and seeing what it will do is better than buying online and hope it does what it is supposed to. Online sales will still be made but having the service after the sale is still important. 

You can say what you will about your favorite brand but when it gets down to buying a cleaner going to a Vac Shop is the best way.  At Wal Mart and the other big box stores they sell you what they want to sell you. At least with Vac shops you can find a wider variety of Vacuums.The Door to Door sales peolpe also have a variety. It is if the cleaner meets the needs of the consumer that they buy.

Procare

This message was modified Aug 7, 2010 by procare
Replies: 64 - 73 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Reply #64   Feb 26, 2011 2:11 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Costco in the UK are more or less the same. They used to sell a heck of a lot of bagged vacuums and then suddenly went cheap side with the TTi and pre TTi Dirt Devil Swift/ models under the Vax branding. A lot of them shifted but a lot of them were returned. I picked up quite a few cheapy vacuums there for clients after something, cheap and brands like AFK who are German had shockingly bad models with poor plastic and a lack of bags. Even their bagless models are total rubbish and Costco have stopped selling them. Quite surprised to see a Miele S5 Cat and Dog model last week though - maybe things are looking up. It was the only bagged vacuum available amidst bagless Chinese made cheap ones.

Hello vacmanuk:

Very interesting.  This is consistent with the financial results reported by Wal*Mart this past week.  If 70 percent of W*M loyal customers have annual incomes of $78,000 [or less and I apologize for not converting into pounds or euros] then upper level income American shoppers, although in the minority, are closed out if no vacuum parts and high end vacuums are offered for sale.  Dyson tried to fill this void in W*M [plus Sam's Club] but a break down in their business relationship in 2005 stopped the dyson sales momentum.  W*M dumped dyson and took on less expensive bagless brands and models and stayed the course with them right up to now.  Dyson never was able to get a strong hold again in W*M stores.  All the spin here about dyson not caring and even better exclusive dyson models for W*M, after the reconciliation, was all wishful thinking.  Not just for W*M but other retailer chains all of which scrubbed the dyson exclusive models. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Re: Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Reply #65   Mar 7, 2011 7:29 am
Off the Wal*Mart subject, except for tha fact that BEST BUY is using the same scaled down store size strategy, here is an article specifically about the trials and tribulations of BEST BUY stores.  Stock price down 21 percent, one of the worse performing sales for the 2010 holiday season, losing sales and profits to competitors, no longer a specialty retailer with products like Sony and Apple, savvy sales staff once its prode and joy, no longer making a diference, prices too high compared to competition, expecially amazon, on the ropes and worse yet to come.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112269/forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come

Carmine D.

BTW, Wal*Mart increased its dividend by 26 percent to $1.46 a share.  Paying dividends since 1974, it is like all other years an increase over the previous years' payout to stockholders.  As I said, I rarely shop there. 

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #66   Mar 29, 2011 5:02 pm
Trebor wrote:
I have had occasion to visit three of the six Wal-Marts in my area recently, and all of them have greatly enlarged floor care areas a double facing aisles, and one more aisle, with a improved selection of canisters. The overwhelming majority of the offerings are still bagless, but there are also more models of carpet cleaners and steamers. A big change from less than a year ago.

My feelings have not changed.  Walmart is not getting rid of their vacuum cleaners.  Still quite a bit available.  Why would stores have every bag, belt, etc. for every vacuum cleaner on the market?  That is bad business for them.  Leave that for the parts department of manufactuer or vacuum cleaner shops.  Take a look at Targets bags, belts, etc.
CarmineD

Reply #67   Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm
Mike_W wrote:
My feelings have not changed.  Walmart is not getting rid of their vacuum cleaners.  Still quite a bit available.  Why would stores have every bag, belt, etc. for every vacuum cleaner on the market?  That is bad business for them.  Leave that for the parts department of manufactuer or vacuum cleaner shops.  Take a look at Targets bags, belts, etc.

Latest on Walmart downsizing. Talked about on this thread and site before.  If smaller is better according to the latest management thinking then by that thinking somethings have to go/get culled and/or replaced by something else.

http://blogs.forbes.com/retailwire/2011/03/15/walmart-testing-express-c-store-concept/

Carmine D.

As I said before my shopping sprees at WM are limited to several a year for one/few inexpensive items.  I hope the women win their class suit and WM changes its ways.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #68   Mar 30, 2011 2:22 pm
"What's Old is New Again"

Walmart's creating different stores is not new to some of us.  I am old enough to remember retail stores that had different store capacities.  Rose's had different store sizes.  Grant's had different size stores.  What about Sears and Penney's.  They had their regular stores w/everything, plus very small "catalog" stores.  Sears and Penny's smaller stores were for ordering/pick up and usually had clothing.  What about Woolworth's.  Well, they created Woolco.  We also had Kresge's who created Kmart. The idea of having different size retail is not new.  Walmart is doing the same thing.

There is no need to have large stores all over the place.  I remember visiting AZ. and having to choose which Walmart to go to, because they were so close together.  Carmine has made it known that he lives in Las Vegas, Nevada.  I would suggest to anyone interested, to go to the Walmart website and click on the "store finderr" at the bottom, then enter one of the Las Vegas zip codes within a 15 mile radius.  Look at all the Walmarts in that area.  Unbelievable.  Why does everyone of them have to be the large store. They do not.  That is why some of them are those small Neighborhood Market.  

All of the stores, in my area, continue to stock plenty of vacuum cleaners, bags, filters, belts, and other floorcare.
CarmineD

Reply #69   Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Ironically Mike all those retailers you reference are either out of business, struggling financially and/or on the brink of going belly up.  With WM having 7 straight quarters of down sales at same stores opened, it's management is desperate.  WM's big profits traditionally are from the largest stores, not the small.  That's why WM was opening 350 Super Stores each year.  But, alas no more.  May I suggest as discussion and thought that WM will shutter its large stores in time in favor of smaller ones.  Especially in areas that are saturated, like Las Vegas.  Reason is simple.  Cut costs and expenses.   Just my opinion and observation.  But... may become reality.   At which time, if this thread is still active, I'll post so.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #70   Apr 9, 2011 11:43 am
Another major retailer may be on the bubble ready to burst:  Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It's had a bounce up due to the shuttering of Linens 'N Things in 2008 but will it last?.  BB&B may, like BEST BUY stores, be a victim of the Internet which led more shoppers to seek out lower prices at on-line stores.  Especially troublesome for BB&B whose web site has been slow to take off with only ONE percent of its company sales and ranking 154th in e-commerce.  Costs are aslo a concern.  Suppliers ship directly to their stores not warehouses and distribution centers.  Harder to cut sourcing costs. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #71   Apr 11, 2011 1:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Another major retailer may be on the bubble ready to burst:  Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It's had a bounce up due to the shuttering of Linens 'N Things in 2008 but will it last?.  BB&B may, like BEST BUY stores, be a victim of the Internet which led more shoppers to seek out lower prices at on-line stores.  Especially troublesome for BB&B whose web site has been slow to take off with only ONE percent of its company sales and ranking 154th in e-commerce.  Costs are aslo a concern.  Suppliers ship directly to their stores not warehouses and distribution centers.  Harder to cut sourcing costs. 

Carmine D.

I am going to talk to you as Moderator now-

First, this thread was about Walmart "getting out of the belt, filter and bag business". It is not about how BB&B is doing.  We do not need to hear your periodic reports on the economy, cars, etc.  Keep on topic. 

Secondly, I am going to talk about something we have discussed before, on this forum.  Besides being off topic, you are using someone else's info and making it yours., again  I did check  and you are using an article from the Wall Street Journel Titled, "Bubble Bath & Beyond" by John Lannarone.  I have taken the liberty to underline someone else's idea, which you have used as your own.  In the one underlined sentence. you only bothered to change one or two words.

When someone comes to this forum and reads what you have said, they will think it is your idea; making you look better than you really are.  I knew better and checked it out. 

Use your own ideas and not ideas from someone else.

Mike W.
CarmineD

Reply #72   Apr 11, 2011 1:55 pm
Mike_W wrote:
I am going to talk to you as Moderator now-

First, this thread was about Walmart "getting out of the belt, filter and bag business". It is not about how BB&B is doing.  We do not need to hear your periodic reports on the economy, cars, etc.  Keep on topic. 

Secondly, I am going to talk about something we have discussed before, on this forum.  Besides being off topic, you are using someone else's info and making it yours., again  I did check  and you are using an article from the Wall Street Journel Titled, "Bubble Bath & Beyond" by John Lannarone.  I have taken the liberty to underline someone else's idea, which you have used as your own.  In the one underlined sentence. you only bothered to change one or two words.

When someone comes to this forum and reads what you have said, they will think it is your idea; making you look better than you really are.  I knew better and checked it out. 

Use your own ideas and not ideas from someone else.

Mike W.

I subscribe to the WSJ and have for many years.  It is even "comped" to me for my long membership.  As such, I can reuse the thoughts and ideas of those who print in the WSJ since it is in the public domain both orally and in writing.  There is no prohibition against it.  However, I do agree with Lannarone and hence the reason I excerpted his words.  In fact, the similarity with BEST BUY stores and Circuit City AND BB&B and LNT is striking, and worth repeating.  Long before Lannarone's article, I posted about the hazards of BB after the demise of CC.  When he made the same analogy, I thought it was insightful and worthy to print. 

Carmine D. 

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #73   Apr 11, 2011 2:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I subscribe to the WSJ and have for many years.  It is even "comped" to me for my long membership.  As such, I can reuse the thoughts and ideas of those who print in the WSJ since it is in the public domain both orally and in writing.  There is no prohibition against it.  However, I do agree with Lannarone and hence the reason I excerpted his words.  In fact, the similarity with BEST BUY stores and Circuit City AND BB&B and LNT is striking, and worth repeating.  Long before Lannarone's article, I posted about the hazards of BB after the demise of CC.  When he made the same analogy, I thought it was insightful and worthy to print. 

Carmine D. 

Some publications do not mind reprints, etc.  What they do not want is for someone to use their words and ideas as their own, like you did.  Go ahead and ask the writer?  Ask colleges and now even high schools.

No, it is not worth repeating here.

Mike W.
Replies: 64 - 73 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42