Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck may have an announcement shortly

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Oreck may have an announcement shortly
Original Message   Feb 19, 2011 5:06 pm
A famous German Vacuum soon to be available at your local Oreck Dealer.....Hummm.
Replies: 62 - 71 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Oreck may have an announcement shortly
Reply #62   Mar 28, 2011 1:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 MSRP $400  Quest is Pano made in China. 

Carmine D.

Are you kidding?  Where are you getting your info?  I am sure you just run down to the nearest ORECK center and ask.  Just because they work there, does not mean they know.  I happen to know who makes this new vacuum cleaner.  ORECK sources alot of their models from different sources(not including XL & BB).
CarmineD

Reply #63   Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Are you kidding?  Where are you getting your info?  I am sure you just run down to the nearest ORECK center and ask.  Just because they work there, does not mean they know.  I happen to know who makes this new vacuum cleaner.  ORECK sources alot of their models from different sources(not including XL & BB).

As I recall there was a discussion that the Quest was BOSCH made.  I added my info that it is Pano made.  If you know, then post it. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #64   Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well Vacmanuk, HOOVER refers to this model as a portable canister.   ......And ORECK calls its models like this either compact canisters and/or handhelds.  Both are used interchangeably.  It's not my terminology, but theirs and standard for the industry in the USA for the last 50 plus years.  I use what the makers/industry use and say they are. 

My feeling is wheels on such small and lightweight compact/portable canisters would make them unruly on stairwells and steps.  Both the HOOVER and ORECK, after which HOOVER copied, have shoulder straps for these compact/portable canisters.  At 5-7 pounds typically, they are made to easily glide/slide and/or be used over the shoulder and/or sit sideways on the steps.  Wheels would add unnecessary weight and defeat the purposes for which they are designed and function.  IMHO

Carmine D.

PS:  When I say HOOVER copied ORECK I refer to the lightweight with compact canister sold as dual team vacuums.  Clearly this combo is an ORECK marketing strategy that HOOVER/TTI copied.  HOOVER for many years was absent from the lightweight upright vacuum market chosing instead to source its solo sold 8 pound Ultra lightweight upright vacuum to RICCAR/Simplicity under the HOOVER brand name. 

Well you see Carmine, in the UK and Europe we don't use the term canisters unless its the old fashioned round tub types U.S refers to as "Shop Vac." Even the Rainbow in the UK would come under "tank" or "canister" due to its rounded shape. In this respect, whoever copied who (and how long has the Oreck canister been out actually? The Hoover Portapower from the U.S was available in the U.K in the 1980's. )

On the basis that Miele, SEBO and Bosch all use castors which are deemed lightweight, it wouldn't add that much weight to add three wheels recessed into the base, particularly when you consider the lighter PVC plastic components around these days.
CarmineD

Reply #65   Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well you see Carmine, in the UK and Europe we don't use the term canisters unless its the old fashioned round tub types U.S refers to as "Shop Vac." Even the Rainbow in the UK would come under "tank" or "canister" due to its rounded shape. In this respect, whoever copied who (and how long has the Oreck canister been out actually? The Hoover Portapower from the U.S was available in the U.K in the 1980's. )

On the basis that Miele, SEBO and Bosch all use castors which are deemed lightweight, it wouldn't add that much weight to add three wheels recessed into the base, particularly when you consider the lighter PVC plastic components around these days.
vacmanuk wrote:
Ah Carmine, I'm referring to canisters that are akin to Miele/Hoover. Not the kind that you purposefully carry.

O'Really?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 28, 2011 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #66   Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm
CarmineD wrote:

O'Really?

Carmine D.
Yes really Carmine. I use the word canisters so that you guys can understand what Im talking about. The word 'cylinder" seems to confuse some people.

CarmineD

Reply #67   Mar 29, 2011 12:15 am
vacmanuk wrote:
O'Really?

Carmine D.
Yes really Carmine. I use the word canisters so that you guys can understand what Im talking about. The word 'cylinder" seems to confuse some people.

Like hoovering your rugs?  And you say that we guys [USA] don't understand?    O'Really? 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #68   Mar 29, 2011 1:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
As I recall there was a discussion that the Quest was BOSCH made.  I added my info that it is Pano made.  If you know, then post it. 

Carmine D.

Didn't I ask you a question?  You are skirting around it.  I did not ask for details of threads.  One person said that it looked like a Bosch.  Vacmanuk said that he has seen it before as a Swan.  He also said that he has seen other vacuum cleaners that we know as Eureka, in the US.  So that is where you say panasonic made vacuum cleaners for Eureka also.  You see,  you take info, comments, etc. from someone else and make it your.  You even put your own twist on it.   

I will post in do time.  The answer will come out and the thread will still be here.  It does not even have to be me.  I brought it to the light. 

Curiosity has got the best of me.  What about the ORECK makes it a Panasonic?  Is it the hose, cord, power nozzle?  I sure would like to know.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #69   Mar 29, 2011 1:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
Well Vacmanuk, HOOVER refers to this model as a portable canister.   ......And ORECK calls its models like this either compact canisters and/or handhelds.  Both are used interchangeably.  It's not my terminology, but theirs and standard for the industry in the USA for the last 50 plus years.  I use what the makers/industry use and say they are. 

My feeling is wheels on such small and lightweight compact/portable canisters would make them unruly on stairwells and steps.  Both the HOOVER and ORECK, after which HOOVER copied, have shoulder straps for these compact/portable canisters.  At 5-7 pounds typically, they are made to easily glide/slide and/or be used over the shoulder and/or sit sideways on the steps.  Wheels would add unnecessary weight and defeat the purposes for which they are designed and function.  IMHO

Carmine D.

PS:  When I say HOOVER copied ORECK I refer to the lightweight with compact canister sold as dual team vacuums.  Clearly this combo is an ORECK marketing strategy that HOOVER/TTI copied.  HOOVER for many years was absent from the lightweight upright vacuum market chosing instead to source its solo sold 8 pound Ultra lightweight upright vacuum to RICCAR/Simplicity under the HOOVER brand name. 

HOOVER did have some models w/ wheels that did fine on stairs.  HOOVER, Eureka, GE, etc. had straps, so that it could be carried over the shoulder.   

It would be a bad idea to "glide/slide" these small machines around. The older ORECKs,Eurekas,GE's, Premiers had hoses that would come out.  The new HOOVER is not made to pull around, because the hose is not made to withstand it.

The word "copied" is used too often on this site.  If copying were so true, then everyone copied the first electric vacuum cleaner.    ORECK chose to market their two vacuum cleaners as "buy the upright, get the compact vacuum free".  HOOVER markets theirs by saying "purchase the upright and the small vacuum cleaner".  You see there is a difference.  HOOVER  is upfront about it.

Pairing the two vacuums together is good marketing.  If the upright is sold alone today, there will be those who complain about not being able to do above-the-floor cleaning.  They would have a negative attitude about the upright.  If the upright is paired, so they could clean more surfaces, they will be happier.  Their attitude/feelings towards the brand will be positive. 

Have you heard of "the perfect pair"?  No, this is not from ORECK.  It was from decades before David Oreck started his company.  This ad phrase is from General Electric's Tidy vacuum cleaner.  It had a strap, so the user could carry it over the shoulder.  This vacuum was paired w/GE's upright vacuum cleaner, so the house could be cleaned from top to bottom.
CarmineD

Reply #70   Mar 29, 2011 7:04 am
Mike_W wrote:

HOOVER did have some models w/ wheels that did fine on stairs.  HOOVER, Eureka, GE, etc. had straps, so that it could be carried over the shoulder.   

It would be a bad idea to "glide/slide" these small machines around. The older ORECKs,Eurekas,GE's, Premiers had hoses that would come out.  The new HOOVER is not made to pull around, because the hose is not made to withstand it.

The word "copied" is used too often on this site.  If copying were so true, then everyone copied the first electric vacuum cleaner.    ORECK chose to market their two vacuum cleaners as "buy the upright, get the compact vacuum free".  HOOVER markets theirs by saying "purchase the upright and the small vacuum cleaner".  You see there is a difference.  HOOVER  is upfront about it.

Pairing the two vacuums together is good marketing.  If the upright is sold alone today, there will be those who complain about not being able to do above-the-floor cleaning.  They would have a negative attitude about the upright.  If the upright is paired, so they could clean more surfaces, they will be happier.  Their attitude/feelings towards the brand will be positive. 

Have you heard of "the perfect pair"?  No, this is not from ORECK.  It was from decades before David Oreck started his company.  This ad phrase is from General Electric's Tidy vacuum cleaner.  It had a strap, so the user could carry it over the shoulder.  This vacuum was paired w/GE's upright vacuum cleaner, so the house could be cleaned from top to bottom.

I remember the GE Tidy Vac well.  Repaired and sold many.  Even some of the later GE models like it.  Thank you for asking.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #71   Mar 29, 2011 7:16 am
Mike_W wrote:
Didn't I ask you a question?  You are skirting around it.  I did not ask for details of threads.  One person said that it looked like a Bosch.  Vacmanuk said that he has seen it before as a Swan.  He also said that he has seen other vacuum cleaners that we know as Eureka, in the US.  So that is where you say panasonic made vacuum cleaners for Eureka also.  You see,  you take info, comments, etc. from someone else and make it your.  You even put your own twist on it.   

I will post in do time.  The answer will come out and the thread will still be here.  It does not even have to be me.  I brought it to the light. 

Curiosity has got the best of me.  What about the ORECK makes it a Panasonic?  Is it the hose, cord, power nozzle?  I sure would like to know.

Mike W:  You just don't get it, do you.  Let me take another tact.  Whoever makes the Quest, if the company is in China as many of the sourced makers are including the maker of Quest, it's not worth $499 even with the ORECK name and network of 500 stores to back it up.  [My bad, I said $400 in my post].  For that much $ it should be USA and or German made.  Hope you get my point now.  If not ask nicely and I'll answer your questions.  

Carmine D.

Replies: 62 - 71 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42