Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck may have an announcement shortly

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Oreck may have an announcement shortly
Original Message   Feb 19, 2011 5:06 pm
A famous German Vacuum soon to be available at your local Oreck Dealer.....Hummm.
Replies: 72 - 81 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Oreck may have an announcement shortly
Reply #72   Mar 29, 2011 7:32 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well you see Carmine, in the UK and Europe we don't use the term canisters unless its the old fashioned round tub types U.S refers to as "Shop Vac." Even the Rainbow in the UK would come under "tank" or "canister" due to its rounded shape. In this respect, whoever copied who (and how long has the Oreck canister been out actually? The Hoover Portapower from the U.S was available in the U.K in the 1980's. )

On the basis that Miele, SEBO and Bosch all use castors which are deemed lightweight, it wouldn't add that much weight to add three wheels recessed into the base, particularly when you consider the lighter PVC plastic components around these days.

Hello Vacmanuk:

I have the precursor to the Hoover portapower called the Swingette.  Late 60's made.  No wheels.  Like the ORECK.  Some did come with wheels and some with wheels extra.  I preferred no wheels.  Matter of choice and preference depedning on your needs and uses.  Still works like a charm after all these years.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #73   Mar 29, 2011 9:35 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

I have the precursor to the Hoover portapower called the Swingette.  Late 60's made.  No wheels.  Like the ORECK.  Some did come with wheels and some with wheels extra.  I preferred no wheels.  Matter of choice and preference depedning on your needs and uses.  Still works like a charm after all these years.

Carmine D.

Yes Carmine, but you made a statement previously that Hoover copied Oreck. So timewise, when the Oreck canister appear? Isn't a case of being the other way around that Oreck brought out their portable canister after Hoover?
This message was modified Mar 29, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #74   Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Yes Carmine, but you made a statement previously that Hoover copied Oreck. So timewise, when the Oreck canister appear? Isn't a case of being the other way around that Oreck brought out their portable canister after Hoover?

If you read my post Vacmanuk, I said HOOVER copied the marketing strategy of a lightweight upright and compact canister as a dual cleaning team from ORECK.  If you want to focus on who made the compact canister/handheld first, I would say HOOVER since it is much older than ORECK.  Long before there was an ORECK company, HOOVER made a handheld/handcleaner called a Pixie with shoulder strap and attachments.  But that was not my point and if you gleaned that you should go back and reread.  I was referring to ORECK's marketing strategy on the dual team vacuums, not who made what first.

What started this tangent is that you said ORECK is the only maker that does not have wheels.  I said the HOOVER doesn't.  Posted a pic for you when you asked.  Mike W. gave another from over 5 decades ago that did not have wheels.  GE Tidy Vac.  Came with shoulder strap and attachments.  Slightly irrelevant since the age makes it obsolete at this point.  The current HOOVER compact [with lightweight up] is relevant to your statement. And HOOVER mimics [copies if you will] the ORECK company by not offering wheels on the sidekick cleaner.  You said you don't have those in the UK.  But later posted you had/familiar with the HOOVER portapower in the UK in the 1980's which for all intents and purposes is the same cleaner as this current HOOVER which I posted and pictured for you.  Just like the ORECK with no wheels.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2011 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #75   Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Mike W:  You just don't get it, do you.  Let me take another tact.  Whoever makes the Quest, if the company is in China as many of the sourced makers are including the maker of Quest, it's not worth $499 even with the ORECK name and network of 500 stores to back it up.  [My bad, I said $400 in my post].  For that much $ it should be USA and or German made.  Hope you get my point now.  If not ask nicely and I'll answer your questions.  

Carmine D.

You can use this little routine of trying to make it look like someone is just not "getting it" all you want.  People see right through it, because you do it all the time.  I could stand on my head and you still would not answer.  That is okay, because you already gave answers to the forum.

Here is another contradiction. 
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

I plan to order next month when it becomes available at my local ORECK Clean Home Center.  I expect at this time to have to pay the full MSRP of $499 which doesn't bother me even if the price subsequently drops.

Carmine D.

A $499 ORECK  is not worth it, if it is made in China, but you plan on purchasing it before you even take it for a test drive?  You will be so happy w/it, that you will not mind if the price drops after your purchase.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #76   Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If you read my post Vacmanuk, I said HOOVER copied the marketing strategy of a lightweight upright and compact canister as a dual cleaning team from ORECK.  If you want to focus on who made the compact canister/handheld first, I would say HOOVER since it is much older than ORECK.  Long before there was an ORECK company, HOOVER made a handheld/handcleaner called a Pixie with shoulder strap and attachments.  But that was not my point and if you gleaned that you should go back and reread.  I was referring to ORECK's marketing strategy on the dual team vacuums, not who made what first.

What started this tangent is that you said ORECK is the only maker that does not have wheels.  I said the HOOVER doesn't.  Posted a pic for you when you asked.  Mike W. gave another from over 5 decades ago that did not have wheels.  GE Tidy Vac.  Came with shoulder strap and attachments.  Slightly irrelevant since the age makes it obsolete at this point.  The current HOOVER compact [with lightweight up] is relevant to your statement. And HOOVER mimics [copies if you will] the ORECK company by not offering wheels on the sidekick cleaner.  You said you don't have those in the UK.  But later posted you had/familiar with the HOOVER portapower in the UK in the 1980's which for all intents and purposes is the same cleaner as this current HOOVER which I posted and pictured for you.  Just like the ORECK with no wheels.

Carmine D.

Oh, it is very relevant to this discussion.  You remember the phrase I always mention.  You have quoted me many times.  "What is old is new again!"  I mentioned, in an earlier post that GE already used this type of marketing to sell their upright and portable-Tidy.  ORECK later markets their upright with their portable as "purchase upright and get the portable vac for free".  HOOVER comes along and markets it w/o the "FREE". 

You cannot go around and say things are copied.  There are only a finite number of ways to produce/market.  We cannot go around and say one vacuum cleaner copied another, because they are selling door-to-door like the previous company.  One company has a vacuum cleaner line, then another company comes out w/their line that looks similar.  They have made slight changes though.  There are times that these changes actually benefit the user.

A company designs a vacuum cleaner w/a swiveling hose-copied.  A company puts a hose on the front-copied  There are/were many uprights w/bags on the back, many w/ bags on the side, and many w/bags mounted in front. 

There have been products, since the beginning, that look similar.   Like I have said many years ago, this works out for the purchaser.  As long as you know there is a difference between the machines, a person could be fine w/it.  
CarmineD

Reply #77   Mar 29, 2011 7:10 pm
Mike_W wrote:
You can use this little routine of trying to make it look like someone is just not "getting it" all you want.  People see right through it, because you do it all the time.  I could stand on my head and you still would not answer.  That is okay, because you already gave answers to the forum.

Here is another contradiction. 

A $499 ORECK  is not worth it, if it is made in China, but you plan on purchasing it before you even take it for a test drive?  You will be so happy w/it, that you will not mind if the price drops after your purchase.

As usual Mike W. you jump to conclusions that are flat out wrong.  I posted that I would order/buy when I was under the assumption it would be German made [as in BOSCH/MIELE] and at $499 to me is worth the $.  When I learned its true country of origin [China], I declined to order.  But I said I would be back to scope it out on arrival. Remember it is due in March 30.  With luck I was told.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #78   Mar 29, 2011 7:13 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Oh, it is very relevant to this discussion.  You remember the phrase I always mention.  You have quoted me many times.  "What is old is new again!"  I mentioned, in an earlier post that GE already used this type of marketing to sell their upright and portable-Tidy.  ORECK later markets their upright with their portable as "purchase upright and get the portable vac for free".  HOOVER comes along and markets it w/o the "FREE". 

You cannot go around and say things are copied.  There are only a finite number of ways to produce/market.  We cannot go around and say one vacuum cleaner copied another, because they are selling door-to-door like the previous company.  One company has a vacuum cleaner line, then another company comes out w/their line that looks similar.  They have made slight changes though.  There are times that these changes actually benefit the user.

A company designs a vacuum cleaner w/a swiveling hose-copied.  A company puts a hose on the front-copied  There are/were many uprights w/bags on the back, many w/ bags on the side, and many w/bags mounted in front. 

There have been products, since the beginning, that look similar.   Like I have said many years ago, this works out for the purchaser.  As long as you know there is a difference between the machines, a person could be fine w/it.  

If you want to go way back in vacuum history, HOOVER in the late 20's/early 30's [? little fizzy on the exact years] offered the model 425 upright with dustette handvacuum as side kick for a pair. 

I also said that the MSRP of $499 for the HOOVER pair was too expensive anmd not worth the $.  Why?  Made in China.  I said the price for the pair should be $250.  Last time I checked, the HOOVER duo is selling for that price by most retailers. 

Carmine D.

PS:  Just to remind, I bought 4 XL Classics at different times directly from ORECK w/o the compact canister.  Just the upright.  For $150-$199.  ORECK stores also offer just the XL uprights on special sale days throughout the year for similar prices as these or slightly higher depending on the length of warranty.  The 4 XL's I purchased new came with one year warranty.  BTW all still working well for their users.  Long past the warranty.  Mine turns 4 years next month.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2011 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #79   Mar 31, 2011 4:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
If you want to go way back in vacuum history, HOOVER in the late 20's/early 30's [? little fizzy on the exact years] offered the model 425 upright with dustette handvacuum as side kick for a pair. 

So, you see, you used your own words to prove yourself wrong.  ORECK was not the first to think about it.  It did not matter to me which company, as long as it proved my point.  And  you helped.
CarmineD

Reply #80   Mar 31, 2011 7:12 am
Mike_W wrote:
So, you see, you used your own words to prove yourself wrong.  ORECK was not the first to think about it.  It did not matter to me which company, as long as it proved my point.  And  you helped.

Yeah right.  Why didn't you think of it first instead of the GE Tidy vac.  Same old same old from you.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #81   Apr 9, 2011 8:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Wow.  That's huge.  About as huge as SEARS picking up certain ORECK models for sale in its stores starting next month. 

Carmine D.

I just happened to pick up the April 16, 2011 of People Magazine and noticed on page 138 in the magazine an ad for the ORECK XL Insight lightweight upright now at SEARS.  Looks like it's true.  ORECK is going retail.

Carmine D.

Replies: 72 - 81 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42