Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuum for toxic material pick-up

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Vacuum for toxic material pick-up
Original Message   Feb 17, 2011 6:08 pm
Will a TriStar (with HEPA motor & exhaust filter + micron bags) be good for picking up asbestos, lead dust or anything hazardous?  I'm remodeling my house & plan to vacuum up the dust but don't know if its safe.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Vacuum for toxic material pick-up
Reply #1   Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm
I just wouldn't! Any HEPA filter can be ignited with any kind of material that ignites easily. Although  Asbestos is non- flammable and non-combustible, lead dust is flammable and I wouldn't take chances, particularly as lead is a very fine dust and can tear through the paper pleated filter HEPA type on the Tristar and through to the motor.
Venson

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm
hooverman wrote:
Will a TriStar (with HEPA motor & exhaust filter + micron bags) be good for picking up asbestos, lead dust or anything hazardous?  I'm remodeling my house & plan to vacuum up the dust but don't know if its safe.

No.  Asbestos and plaster dust are two of the most insidious forms of matter that you can attack with a vacuum cleaner.  A regular household vacuum is not the answer no matter how brilliant the makers claims may sound.  Plaster dust can actially get into electrical switches, etc.,  and cause them to short. 

Asbestos is worse in that not only is it very fine material that is easy to set airborne but is a known carcinogen and can be harmful to health in other ways.  Thorough training as to how to go about removing and containing asbestos loaded material is required. Knowledge of local regaulations in regard to its disposal are also in line. 

An ounce of prevention saves a pound cure.  The least risky, simpler and best course to follow is to call in a properly licensed service  for asbestos removal and let them do the job.  Otherwise, you stand in line to jeopardize not only your own health but that of your family's.  It is irresponsible to tell you otherwise.

Venson

This message was modified Feb 18, 2011 by Venson
procare

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2011 12:04 am
Hooverman,

The answer to your question is NO , NO, NO. Currently there is a new law that requires people cleaning and prepping old houses that are past a certain age and could have lead paint and other contaniments in it must have a HEPA vacuum used. These cleaners must meet the recommended  requrements of the EPA and Tristar will not. Also you must be certified to do that type of work, not do it yourself. That is fore your safety. A big fine could be levied if you are caught.

Procare.

adamlau

Reply #4   Mar 19, 2011 5:05 pm
As a construction professional trained in asbestos abatement, I can tell you that the general procedure for asbestos cleanup of qualified material is wetting following by removal via a sealed wet/dry vacuum with a HEPA filter. The vacuum can be portable, but is often a vehicle-mounted (i.e. heavy-duty).
This message was modified Mar 19, 2011 by adamlau

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42