Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Video: Hacking Microsoft Kinect and a Roomba

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Video: Hacking Microsoft Kinect and a Roomba
Original Message   Feb 17, 2011 8:49 am
A japanese inventor, or should I say computer hacker, has come up with a way to control a Roomba robotic vac with Microsoft's new Kinect program.  Though you ordinarily would just allow a Roomba to turn on do its thing, Ogutti the hacker, has found a way to make the machine follow hand movement with no remote control involved.  I wouldn't want to have to direct a robotic machine while doing the whole house but I see an advantage if it is suddenlty required for spot cleaning or sweeping up dry spills.  A brief articla and a video demo can be found at the following link.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/video-hacking-microsoft-kinect-and-a-roomba/

Venson

This message was modified Feb 17, 2011 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Video: Hacking Microsoft Kinect and a Roomba
Reply #1   Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm
Venson wrote:
A japanese inventor, or should I say computer hacker, has come up with a way to control a Roomba robotic vac with Microsoft's new Kinect program.  Though you ordinarily would just allow a Roomba to turn on do its thing, Ogutti the hacker, has found a way to make the machine follow hand movement with no remote control involved.  I wouldn't want to have to direct a robotic machine while doing the whole house but I see an advantage if it is suddenlty required for spot cleaning or sweeping up dry spills.  A brief articla and a video demo can be found at the following link.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/video-hacking-microsoft-kinect-and-a-roomba/

Venson

Agree Venson.  A both and approach.  Robotic and/or operator controlled direction if and when needed or both.  That would be the robotic vacuum of the future. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2011 8:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Agree Venson.  A both and approach.  Robotic and/or operator controlled direction if and when needed or both.  That would be the robotic vacuum of the future. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Even better, there's one less remote control to hunt down.  I wonder if Roomba, Samsung and others will actually try including this new technology.  I wince when I think of what it may cost for a feature like that but I like the idea.

Just a wave of the hand changing the channel on your TV, turning the volume on the stereo up or down or even starting the cycle of a washing machine with no trips to Rite-Aid or CVS for batteries to keep a remote juiced.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2011 4:42 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Even better, there's one less remote control to hunt down.  I wonder if Roomba, Samsung and others will actually try including this new technology.  I wince when I think of what it may cost for a feature like that but I like the idea.

Just a wave of the hand changing the channel on your TV, turning the volume on the stereo up or down or even starting the cycle of a washing machine with no trips to Rite-Aid or CVS for batteries to keep a remote juiced.

Venson

Whilst I think the Windows idea is a good one (perhaps TV and computers one day will become one, I can see its not far off) the humble RCU for the TV could incorporate the Roomba control. Now Samsung make TV's and they also make robotic vacs - could easily be done.
Venson

Reply #4   Feb 18, 2011 7:01 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Whilst I think the Windows idea is a good one (perhaps TV and computers one day will become one, I can see its not far off) the humble RCU for the TV could incorporate the Roomba control. Now Samsung make TV's and they also make robotic vacs - could easily be done.

Hi vacmanuk,

I don't know how the technology works or how far is can get you but there are actually some "trainable" remote controls for sale that can scan and pick-up operating data from various remotes made for specific devices. I don't know if they are easy to use.  Then again, the beauty of the thing is still needing no remote device.  However, the one thing I have not explored is what happens if your dog walks by one of these Kinetic-prepped devices and wags his tail. 

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

I don't know how the technology works or how far is can get you but there are actually some "trainable" remote controls for sale that can scan and pick-up operating data from various remotes made for specific devices. I don't know if they are easy to use.  Then again, the beauty of the thing is still needing no remote device.  However, the one thing I have not explored is what happens if your dog walks by one of these Kinetic-prepped devices and wags his tail. 

Venson

I thnk they'd probably be able to program the system without recognising pets - or curtain ties that "wave in the wind," if taking it to extremes.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42