Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > does all the dirt pass through a dyson motor?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
givemesam

does all the dirt pass through a dyson motor?
Original Message   Feb 11, 2011 6:08 pm
I purchased a used Dyson DC17. BAD IDEA It was so full of pet dander, and my friends are allergic to cats, that i was afraid to turn it on. Since i am handy, i completely took it apart, cleaned everything that can be cleaned very well. ALL the caked on white dander, and poop is gone. I know. poop. I should have known better i guess. 2 questions: - Does all the dirt pass through the motor? I didnt clean the motor as it was not easy to open or get to. If dirt does through it, is it possible that it is filthy like the rest or it? I know other vacuums had dirt go through it, but the dyson is like 100,000 rpm and i feel like it would shatter if a penny went through it. - is there a local store that sells the grey extension hose near seattle? that is impossible to clean 100%. Thank you! Sam
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: does all the dirt pass through a dyson motor?
Reply #1   Feb 11, 2011 7:36 pm
givemesam wrote:
I purchased a used Dyson DC17. BAD IDEA It was so full of pet dander, and my friends are allergic to cats, that i was afraid to turn it on. Since i am handy, i completely took it apart, cleaned everything that can be cleaned very well. ALL the caked on white dander, and poop is gone. I know. poop. I should have known better i guess. 2 questions: - Does all the dirt pass through the motor? I didnt clean the motor as it was not easy to open or get to. If dirt does through it, is it possible that it is filthy like the rest or it? I know other vacuums had dirt go through it, but the dyson is like 100,000 rpm and i feel like it would shatter if a penny went through it. - is there a local store that sells the grey extension hose near seattle? that is impossible to clean 100%. Thank you! Sam

Hello Givemesam:

The quick and simple answer to your questions is "No, the dirt does not go through dyson's motor."  BUT...the caveat is... IF your dyson has been properly used and maintained AND it sounds like yours was not.

Some vacuum history:  For the first 50 years of upright vacuum design and usage, a dirt/air path called fan first was used.  This means that all dirt picked up was routed to the dirt bag through the fan [a major motor part].  In the 60's, HOOVER designed the first dirt/air by-pass system for uprights that routed dirt around the motor to the bag.  Both types of systems have their pluses and minuses and are still in use today on upright vacuums.

WRT your particular dyson, if it was abused [and it sounds like it was], dirt was allowed to exceed the max fill line consistently in the dirt bin and the filters [pre-and post motor] were not cleaned on a regular bases, and even more frequently if the dirt bin was not dumped timely, then dyson's motor has been compromised by dust and dirt.  It too needs a thorough cleaning.  Even if the filters were replaced in your dyson with new ones, this would not affect the dirt/dust that has already intruded dyson's motor and built up in the motor compartment.  The latter may lead to motor failure if severe enough.

Buying a used vacuum is always a risk unless the vacuum is rebuilt by the manufacturer and/or a qualified vacuum professional who are willing to guarantee the vacuum after purchase.

Carmine D.

givemesam

Reply #2   Feb 11, 2011 7:42 pm
Ok, thank you for that detailed reply. I am not sure where the post filter is on the vacuum. I checked the Hepa filter one that is blue with a big 6 and one side of it had some hair particles and dust, the other side was clean, which i presume is the intake. If that clean side was indeed clean (it was very clean), can i assume that the motor is ok? I couldnt figure out how to get to the motor bay as the brush head part of the vac would not come off. I opened one side, but tried everything for the other side and it was a no go. The DC17 is much different than the more popular DC14. I found a shop that is selling a normally used DC17, so im going to get a hose from them. I learned a valuable lesson this week, precisely when i was arm deep in my bathtub bating dyson parts.... thanks you
CarmineD

Reply #3   Feb 11, 2011 8:21 pm
givemesam wrote:
Ok, thank you for that detailed reply. I am not sure where the post filter is on the vacuum. I checked the Hepa filter one that is blue with a big 6 and one side of it had some hair particles and dust, the other side was clean, which i presume is the intake. If that clean side was indeed clean (it was very clean), can i assume that the motor is ok? I couldnt figure out how to get to the motor bay as the brush head part of the vac would not come off. I opened one side, but tried everything for the other side and it was a no go. The DC17 is much different than the more popular DC14. I found a shop that is selling a normally used DC17, so im going to get a hose from them. I learned a valuable lesson this week, precisely when i was arm deep in my bathtub bating dyson parts.... thanks you

Hello Givemesam:

The blue washable filter is the pre-motor filter on DC17 and may have been washed/replaced after the dirt penetrated the motor.  Not being the first and only user, you can't assume that a clean filter now precludes dirt having gotten to the motor before.  The HEPA post motor is not washable, if I recall correctly from the dyson instructions.  I suggest if you haven't already that you visit the dyson web site and read/download the user guide for your particular model DC17.  It will assist you now and in the future.  Glad to hear you secured a hose.  I might suggest you discuss your concerns/questions with the vacuum shop owner/operator.  Direct face to face give and take with the vacuum in on hand and in sight is the best way to go.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #4   Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm
Hello Givemesam:

Out of curiosity, I did some research to determine what motor is used in dyson's DC17 and decided to post it here:

Dyson DC17 Motor (Panasonic) 911604-01
Vacuum cleaner old timers will recognize this famous motor as a one fan panasonic made motor that has been used in the vacuum industry since the 1970's.  Thought you might like to know too since you were concerned about the degradation of the motor if the vacuum was abused.
Carmine D.
givemesam

Reply #5   Feb 13, 2011 1:28 pm
thank you! ill look into that!
Lucky1

Reply #6   Feb 16, 2011 12:28 pm
DC 17's are faulty machines. They have a seal in the bin that doesn't work properly. Dirt gets in every pore of that machine. I think there is a warranty/replacement out on some parts.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
DC 17's are faulty machines. They have a seal in the bin that doesn't work properly. Dirt gets in every pore of that machine. I think there is a warranty/replacement out on some parts.

Hi Lucky1:

I didn't know this about DC17's.  But I began to suspect a problem when all the big box retailers culled it from their shelves and rumors spread that dyson planned to scrub the model from its line up.

Carmine D.

CountVacula

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2014 1:11 am
Those motors are very tolerant of abuse. I have a couple of canister vacuums that use that motor which were severely neglected (one was free, the other $20 on Craigslist). The motors were filled with dirt, in one case so much dirt you could not even see the fields or commutator. It looked like the motor in a floor brush with hair and dirt poking out of every opening, yet it still ran fine. I cleaned them out with compressed air, pulled the carbon brushes and found they were almost full length but the housings were packed with dirt. Blew the dirt out of the brush housings too. Once clean the fields, brushes and commutators on both motors looked unworn. Smooth bearings and no noise. In short, if that motor is in your vacuum and it sounds good don't worry about it. If you really want to knock yourself out have fun removing and cleaning it. It will outlast the rest of the machine.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42