Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Garry Vacuum Question.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ty977

Garry Vacuum Question.
Original Message   Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm
Hi I'm new here and my Garry Vacuum arrived today.I know that some reviews are good and some are bad but it has just as good as suction as my kirby.So far I am very pleased but I have a question.I noticed that there is no lever or foot pedal to put the sweeper arm or handle down so I can sweep.I have been pressing on the sweeper and you hear a click.It unlocks it and I can sweep but I don't know if I am doing this right?Am I? Thanks, Ty
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Garry Vacuum Question.
Reply #1   Jan 21, 2011 10:10 pm
Hello Ty:

You're doing it right.  No pedal release for the handle.  Just a forceful pull of the handle grip to release the handle into the normal cleaning position.

Carmine D.

ty977

Reply #2   Jan 21, 2011 10:21 pm
Thanks!Do you guys recommend the Garry?I wanted to know because I sweep everyday and I was wondering if it lasts for a long time or not.
CarmineD

Reply #3   Jan 22, 2011 8:41 am
ty977 wrote:
Thanks!Do you guys recommend the Garry?I wanted to know because I sweep everyday and I was wondering if it lasts for a long time or not.

Hello Ty:

Here is a thread from this site on the Garry vacuum which you may like to peruse:

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/discussions/38006-0-1.html

There is at least one more thread too here that says the Garry vacuum actually is approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute also.  There was a time lag between the maker's claim of CRI approval in its marketing and sales pitches and the actual listing of Garry on the CRI site.

It's an interesting concept in producing and marketing vacuums.  Unique in many respects in that it forces the owner/buyer of Garry vacuums into a forced lifetime business relationship with the maker for as long as the vacuum is owned and used.  At least so far.  Parts like bags and belts are only available directly through Garry.  So there is no shopping around for price and savings.  No avenue for repairs other than packing up and shipping back to the maker.  At a cost to the owner for shipping and handling.  As is the case with the bags.  Shipping and handling costs dictated by Garry.  For the life of the vacuum's use by their owners. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #4   Jan 22, 2011 9:39 am
ty977 wrote:

Hi ty977,

An opinion as to whether your new cleaner is worth it or not is probably not that much of a help now -- you've already bought it.  However, Consumer Reports assessd the Garry vacuum as very good for getting up pet hair and bare flooring but not so hot at deep-cleaning carpeting.  Tool suction was also assessed as poor.  I assume you bought the machine with the idea of saving some money in mind, Garry's big pitch, and I by all means hope that works out for you.  Were I you, I'd attempt to make a go of it BUT treat the mac hine well. 

Do a cursory check of your floors for hard objects like pins, coins and kids toys before you start to clean.  Check the brushroll regularly and keep it free of lint, hair and string.  Change the bag when its about three-fourths full or no further than its fill line if it has one.  Following those suggestions would do well no matter the machine you own.

Consumer Reports did make some additional interesting points.  The Garry vac is said to weigh 9 pounds and it does -- until the onboard attachments are hooked up.  The cleaner's weight increases to 12 pounds.  And, at the time of its September 2009 article, CR recommende better performance was available from the $80 Eureka Altima 2691 and the $60 Dirt Devil Featherlite Bagless M085845 in comparison to the Garry vac..

Best of luck,

Venson

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42