Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Where do central vacs stand as of late?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Where do central vacs stand as of late?
Original Message   Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm
Hi,

Considering the increasing high prices of some of our "deluxe" canister and upright vacuums, where do central vacuum systems stand in the current economy? Though not much of an option for apartment dwellers and renters, I'm beginning to get the feeling that durable central vacs may be a great deal for home owners.

For the price of a high-end Miele, etc., plus the advantage of less consumables requirement it would seem, at least to me, that an externally vented "bagless" central vac system might save users a lot of money over even just a few years of use.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Where do central vacs stand as of late?
Reply #1   Jan 14, 2011 8:20 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Considering the increasing high prices of some of our "deluxe" canister and upright vacuums, where do central vacuum systems stand in the current economy? Though not much of an option for apartment dwellers and renters, I'm beginning to get the feeling that durable central vacs may be a great deal for home owners.

For the price of a high-end Miele, etc., plus the advantage of less consumables requirement it would seem, at least to me, that an externally vented "bagless" central vac system might save users a lot of money over even just a few years of use.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Considering that CVS are more prevalent in new home construction in the USA, and that sector of the econmy has tanked over the last 3 years and still, I have to think sales of CVS have declined in direct proportion over the same time period.

In recent years the VDTA added CVS to its venue.  I'm curious to see if this year's show will weigh in heavily with CVS.  I ssupect it won't for the reasons above.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #2   Jan 19, 2011 9:01 am
Once again, I love the idea of the CV format but it is little used in the UK.
Venson

Reply #3   Jan 19, 2011 10:39 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Once again, I love the idea of the CV format but it is little used in the UK.

Hi,

I understand that vacuumanuk but what prompted the question is that if I were to purchase an upper line Miele,. Riccar/Simplicty or any given niche brand vacuum, I could expect to spend at least $1,000.  When the price of vacuum rise that high or beyond I don't feel it's not that difficult to find equal or possibly better value in a central vac IF you own your dwelling and modifications for installation are not too high in price.  You can put in a central vac for about the same money I believe, give or take a dollar or two.

Basically, we're all using the same vacuum cleaners especially when it comes to canisters.  Their attachments are usually outsourced.  Straight suction tools aren't all that different brand to brand  and even a large part of PNs are a originating from one central source.   I just recently saw what I thought was a new Miele power nozzle only to discover it for sale as part of an attachment package for a central vac system produced by an unrelated maker.

If you live in an apartment or rented space, you usually haven't much choice except to purchase a stand-alone machine.  However, if living in yur own space I think a practically designed and set up central vac can offer high, probably even higher suction and zero blowback that stand-alone vacs offer at such silly prices these days with even less consumables cost required plus reduced maintenance time.

What do you think contributes to the CVS's lack of popularity in the UK?

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #4   Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm
The problem with CV installation in the UK is because of many factors:

Fitting it retro style can cost from £1000 to £ 4000 (U.S conversion = $1588.32 to $6353.28) depending on the type of house. In the UK most houses, if they aren't all timber based modern range from a mix of wood and stone to complete stone work homes where retro fitting is very expensive. Obviously it is cheaper when homes are just being built and the CV addition is therefore factored into the cost making it cheaper and easier to design around.

The second factor is that whilst the idea of Central Vacs are appealing, a lot of brands who sold the CV idea in the 1970s no longer produce parts or accessories. I've only known two people in the UK who have central vacs fitted from when they bought their homes in the 1970's and one of them only uses their CV once in a while because its either too cold to go outside to empty the bin, messy and also a bit of a challenge as the owner gets older to constantly have to bend down to the floor to carry or change over the hose.

It is therefore far cheaper to buy two vacuums if you happen to live in a home that has two floors than consider the central vac idea, particularly as it doesn't cost $1000  / £629.31 for a "top end" Miele in the UK for each vacuum. At the most, Venson, it is half the price for top end Miele vacuums here in the UK.
Venson

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
. . . At the most, Venson, it is half the price for top end Miele vacuums here in the UK.

My goodness!  Does this mean I'll have to move?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm
Venson wrote:

Venson

CVS was and still is IMHO a vacuum feature best sold in new home constructions.  Especially multi floor and large square footage dwellings.  As this sector as suffered the effects of the housing downturn in the USA, CVS must have probably too.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am
Venson wrote:

Venson

LOL you may have to!
Venson

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
LOL you may have to!

Well . . . anything for a bargain.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42