Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Canister Vacuum Needs Help

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
illustrations

Canister Vacuum Needs Help
Original Message   Dec 8, 2010 1:10 am
Hello,
I have an old Montgomery Ward's Signature canister vacuum, model SP-316A, 9.7 Amp's.  It still works, I have all the attachments, and the motor is quite strong.  It is still in good condition.  I can easily lift a basketball with it.

However, it now has a problem with the 20 foot power cord which is pulled out of the canister and is returned into the canister when finished.  When the power cord is pulled out and stopped, I must hit the canister in the back or side to get the electrical contact inside to engage, otherwise the motor will not work.  The rear of the canister is held on by 3 Philips screws.  If I were to pull out the power cord and remove the 3 screws, would I be able to pull out the rear of the unit and at least clean and oil whatever electrical contacts are there?

Because of its age, the unit is really not worth taking to a repairman.  If I cannot repair the unit myself, I'm pretty much stuck with it the way it is or buying another unit.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Canister Vacuum Needs Help
Reply #1   Dec 8, 2010 7:00 am
Any repair work you and/or an expert will attempt to correct this problem will most probably result in making the annoyance worse.  Automatic cord rewinds, especially of that vintage era, are super sensitive.  Parts are non-existent unless you are fortunate to run across the same/similar model with a working winder.  Not too likely at this point in time.  Continue to use the automatic cord winder for as long as you can.  Gingerly.  At some point, and hopefully it won't be very soon, the vacuum will no longer power on when you plug in and hit it.  At that point you will have to scrub the automatic winder altogether if you want to continue to use the vacuum.  The fall back position is using the existing vacuum and its cord, minus the rewind, or a longer cord replacement, wrapping the cord during non-use around the outside the vacuum. 

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #2   Dec 8, 2010 7:49 pm
Illustrtation,

I haven't seen your cleaner but it is acting like your carbon brushes may be getting short and doesn't have the tension to start the cleaner unless you hit it and jar the carbon brushes. I don't think it is the cord reel. That is an educated guess and one that Carmine should have thought about.

Procare

illustrations

Reply #3   Dec 8, 2010 9:11 pm
procare wrote:
Illustrtation,

I haven't seen your cleaner but it is acting like your carbon brushes may be getting short and doesn't have the tension to start the cleaner unless you hit it and jar the carbon brushes. I don't think it is the cord reel. That is an educated guess and one that Carmine should have thought about.

Procare

procare,
no, it's definitely the auto-rewind power cord.  When the cord is outside the canister and locked, if I pull and hold on the cord, I can make the motor start.  When I let go and let the cord lock, the motor stops.  It's definitely something with the cord.  I'm hoping someone knowledgeable with this canister model will tell me how to pull out the back and tell me how to clean whatever contacts there are. 

I'm hoping perhaps there's a quick and easy way to use those (longer wooden) cotton swabs (for electronics) with 70% alcohol and perhaps a little bit of WD40 on whatever contacts there are back there.

Eventually, I'm hoping someone with a lot of canister experience will read this and give me instructions.  Perhaps I'll go to a nearby repairman and ask.  Usually the repairmen want to get paid a minimum of $70 and don't like to give free advice so I'm not expecting much help locally.

procare

Reply #4   Dec 8, 2010 10:44 pm
Illustrations, Carmine is an old timer in vacuum cleaner repair as well as me. As far as working on cord reels is concerned I have worked on cord reels dating back to 1947. Without seeing the canister I can't tell you much about working on it. But Canisters is what I work on as well as uprights. And as far as experience I have 50+ years working on canisters. Procare
mole

Reply #5   Dec 9, 2010 5:55 am
Hi
Does the cord exit from the rear housing on the side or center of the rear housing?
I believe this machine is a EUREKA product, Does it use style L bags?

Is the winder verticle or horizontal when mounted in the machine?

It sounds like the cord is broken right the cordwinder [the drum that the cord wraps up on.

Old G model electroluxes break at this spot also, and can be repaired,The eureka cord wider is much harder to repair.

If the cord is only pulled out 2 or 3 feet does the machine run?

Is the cord winder riveted together?

MOLE
This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by mole
CarmineD

Reply #6   Dec 9, 2010 7:12 am
procare wrote:
Illustrtation,

Procare

Hello Procare:

You are a wise man.  Yes I did.  And opined that this is probably a lamb motor.  Well known for good contact carbon brushes once they overcome the initial inertia of not ruinning for some years.  As I suspected these.  My utmost respect for you.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Dec 9, 2010 8:00 am
mole wrote:
Hi
Does the cord exit from the rear housing on the side or center of the rear housing?
I believe this machine is a EUREKA product, Does it use style L bags?

Is the winder verticle or horizontal when mounted in the machine?

It sounds like the cord is broken right the cordwinder [the drum that the cord wraps up on.

Old G model electroluxes break at this spot also, and can be repaired,The eureka cord wider is much harder to repair.

If the cord is only pulled out 2 or 3 feet does the machine run?

Is the cord winder riveted together?

MOLE

Hi MOLE:

Not to speak for the poster, but I'll take a shot and see how good this old vacuum man's memory is.

First, the cord is a heavy gauge, probably white, and similiar to the ORECK's thickness.

Second, the winder is mounted vertically on a machine using a harness that screws into the vacuum.

Third, the power plug exits from the rear of the vacuum.

Finally, the winder is rivetted shut. 

Perhaps, the poster can attest to how good my memory is for this Eureka product.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42