Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
10lees

Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Original Message   Dec 6, 2010 6:24 pm
Good afternoon everybody! I was hoping for some help.  I am a little torn between buy an Oreck Edge and a Kirby Sentria.  I have wanted a Kirby for a very long time, and I know how heavy it is (which seems to be the major critism everybody makes) as I used one growing up.  I believe the Kirby will keep my carpets very clean and that it will last a long time.  I would buy used/refurbished and therefore there would be no (or a very minor) warrenty.

However, today I decided to stop by an Oreck store and was very impressed with the Oreck Edge, which is the only Oreck that would work on my deep pile carpeting.  I am not convinced that it would do as well of a job and since it's a newer "edition" it doesn't appear yet on with a Seal of Approval on the Carpet and Rug Institute webpage (although many other Orecks do).  A Seal of Approval would be very important to me because I feel like they don't have a vested interest in what I buy.  (Consumer Reports doesn't seem to rate the higher end vacuums, which is disapointing).

Has anybody had experience with a deep cut-pile carpeting and what vacuum would work best? (I also glanced at a Riccar, but didn't fall in love). Anything you can do to sway me one was or the other would be helpful.  Please don't tell me the Kirby is heavy, I doubt the current version can be any heavier than the 1970s version I grew up pushing with no self propelling feature.

Replies: 25 - 34 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
10lees

Re: Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Reply #25   Dec 7, 2010 4:53 pm
How does the current Kirby model compare to the 1974-75 Traditional model?  Has it always been a 'fan first' design?  I heard the Kirbys always pulled NOT through the motor which is a selling point.
mole

Reply #26   Dec 7, 2010 4:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello my friend:

I would add to answer your question about abandoning the aluminum fans:  The little old lady, who was the only Kirby employee one who could balance them properly, died. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmie,

Was she a friend of yours

mole

Reply #27   Dec 7, 2010 5:01 pm
10lees wrote:
How does the current Kirby model compare to the 1974-75 Traditional model?  Has it always been a 'fan first' design?  I heard the Kirbys always pulled NOT through the motor which is a selling point.

Yes the motor and front bearing are sealed off from the fan which sits in the fan case,but so did Hoover,eureka,Royal and for the old guys The G.E.premier uprights

MOLE

vacmanuk

Reply #28   Dec 7, 2010 5:14 pm
It is a great pity that the SEBO FELIX isn't cheap to buy in the States. This is what I would recommend, or a "manual" old Windsor S12 commercial upright that has a manual dial to the side for height adjustment. Both have manual height adjustment and both are extremely capable to clean thick pile carpeting without strain. I can't stand Kirby vacuums - far too heavy - and even with a self propelled feature, it still has a dirty fan system which means more wear and tear on the fan since dust gets sucked through it, and not as instant to clean with the hose as the Windsor has a retractable hose and instant wand for above the floor cleaning - handy to have and quick to use in an instant. Also the Windsor/SEBO systems have removable brush rolls at the touch of a button. Oh, I think they have also had numerous seals of approval!
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #29   Dec 7, 2010 5:25 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmie,

Was she a friend of yours

Hi MOLE:

I met her at the KIRBY plant on occasion many many years ago.  I was proudly told that when she takes vacations, the plant stops all new KIRBY production.  Why I asked.  Because she was THE ONE and ONLY who could balance the fans and makes sure they revolved in balance on the motors.  A problem [out of balance] which went away when KIRBY switched over to the lexan fans.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #30   Dec 7, 2010 5:31 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
It is a great pity that the SEBO FELIX isn't cheap to buy in the States. This is what I would recommend, or a "manual" old Windsor S12 commercial upright that has a manual dial to the side for height adjustment. Both have manual height adjustment and both are extremely capable to clean thick pile carpeting without strain. I can't stand Kirby vacuums - far too heavy - and even with a self propelled feature, it still has a dirty fan system which means more wear and tear on the fan since dust gets sucked through it, and not as instant to clean with the hose as the Windsor has a retractable hose and instant wand for above the floor cleaning - handy to have and quick to use in an instant. Also the Windsor/SEBO systems have removable brush rolls at the touch of a button. Oh, I think they have also had numerous seals of approval!

You are right vacmanuk for Windsor at the Silver and Bronz levels.  No SEBO's approved by CRI.  Strange but always the case with CRI for its entire history.

http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercial-customers/cleaning-and-maintenance/seal-of-approval-products/soa-gl-vacuum-list.cfm?product_type=0&product_usage=0&manuf_id=11

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #31   Dec 8, 2010 4:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You are right vacmanuk for Windsor at the Silver and Bronz levels.  No SEBO's approved by CRI.  Strange but always the case with CRI for its entire history.

http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercial-customers/cleaning-and-maintenance/seal-of-approval-products/soa-gl-vacuum-list.cfm?product_type=0&product_usage=0&manuf_id=11

Carmine D.

Strange that Miele aren't even listed...but it seems this is purely only for upright vacuums. Goes to show in this instance that a "seal of approval" is no measure to finding the best vacuum cleaner, no matter how many products Oreck has managed to get in the Gold seal category.
Just

Reply #32   Dec 8, 2010 4:08 pm
I am fortwith on my biases, as it is well docummented that I am a Kirby fan from way back.

With that aside, I must say that to compare a Kirby to an Oreck, though both fine machines; is like comparing apples to turnips.

My suggestion is to get what you want, and what you will be most happy with.  Both machines you are looking at can be purchased at deep discounts on e-bay and Craig's list.  In these hard time is is not difficult to find someone that was talked into, or bought with their eyes wide open, and now face lay-off and job reductions where they can no longer afford their purchases.  Using this method you wouldn't have to choose, you could have both.

I know other's have made the suggestion as well, but look at the Riccar/Simplicity line of vacuums.  But before you do anything, make the decision what you want.  Deep cleaning, or frequent surface cleaning.  If you want deep cleaning, you may want to gravitate closer to the full-sized machines.  If you want quick, surface cleaning you may want to go towards lighter weight, less powerful machines.

vacmanuk

Reply #33   Dec 8, 2010 4:16 pm
Just wrote:
I am fortwith on my biases, as it is well docummented that I am a Kirby fan from way back.

With that aside, I must say that to compare a Kirby to an Oreck, though both fine machines; is like comparing apples to turnips.

My suggestion is to get what you want, and what you will be most happy with.  Both machines you are looking at can be purchased at deep discounts on e-bay and Craig's list.  In these hard time is is not difficult to find someone that was talked into, or bought with their eyes wide open, and now face lay-off and job reductions where they can no longer afford their purchases.  Using this method you wouldn't have to choose, you could have both.

I know other's have made the suggestion as well, but look at the Riccar/Simplicity line of vacuums.  But before you do anything, make the decision what you want.  Deep cleaning, or frequent surface cleaning.  If you want deep cleaning, you may want to gravitate closer to the full-sized machines.  If you want quick, surface cleaning you may want to go towards lighter weight, less powerful machines.

I just wouldn't touch either. I prefer clean fan systems - deep cleaning involves removing all manner of grit - and both Oreck & Kirby have dirty fan systems. Fair enough if they have lasted on your models, but it can't be taken as blues read. Thanks for pointing out Craig's List and EBAY. This is where you can get massive discounts off SEBO and WINDSOR.
Just

Reply #34   Dec 8, 2010 4:24 pm
The Riccar / Simplicity line of Vacs have both Clean air and Direct air machines.

Kirby's are very tough, and can handle most all household dirt.  Orecks and the Riccar Supralite have a more delicate fan you need to practice greater caution.

In nearly 50 years I have never had a problem with a Kirby fan (save the time I sucked up a rock in my Omega cleaning the car).  I use a shop vac for car duty now.

My main point on my previous post is:  Buy what you want and will be most happy with. 

Replies: 25 - 34 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42