Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best Vac for laminate/pile carpet

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Freya1

Best Vac for laminate/pile carpet
Original Message   Nov 25, 2010 3:09 pm
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an 1100 sq.foot townhouse that I share with two kids, two cats, and a lab. My main floor is laminate hardwood and lino, the stairs and upper level are carpet. I need to vacuum at least 3 times a week (it gets pretty dirty awfully fast!), but my current vacuum is awful, so I end up sweeping the downstairs before washing the floors (really, I'm sure I'm just redistributing the dirt into the air), using a hand vac on the stairs...you get the idea. I'd like to get a canister vacuum as I think it'll be easier to lug up and down the stairs as well as do the furniture with, but I don't know what to get. I've been reading reviews for a couple of weeks, and it seems that for all the good reviews of a particular vacuum, there's just as many (if not more) bad ones. Being a single mom, I can't really afford to spend more than $300. If anybody has any suggestions for a good vacuum, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! I'm in Canada if that helps
This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by Freya1
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Venson

Re: Best Vac for laminate/pile carpet
Reply #1   Nov 25, 2010 5:30 pm
Freya1 wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an 1100 sq.foot townhouse that I share with two kids, two cats, and a lab. My main floor is laminate hardwood and lino, the stairs and upper level are carpet. I need to vacuum at least 3 times a week (it gets pretty dirty awfully fast!), but my current vacuum is awful, so I end up sweeping the downstairs before washing the floors (really, I'm sure I'm just redistributing the dirt into the air), using a hand vac on the stairs...you get the idea. I'd like to get a canister vacuum as I think it'll be easier to lug up and down the stairs as well as do the furniture with, but I don't know what to get. I've been reading reviews for a couple of weeks, and it seems that for all the good reviews of a particular vacuum, there's just as many (if not more) bad ones. Being a single mom, I can't really afford to spend more than $300. If anybody has any suggestions for a good vacuum, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! I'm in Canada if that helps

Kids! Dogs! Cats! I love it . . .

There's all kinds of avenues to take.

Understanding the need to observe a budget, my first thought is that you'll need something that does a decent job and that will last you a while.

My first feeling is that you might check out some of your local independent vac shops and ask if they have any rebuilt all-metal Electroluxes with power nozzles plus the electric mini nozzle. (Many machines now have air-powered (turbo) mini nozzles but in my books the electric type work best.) Electrolux canisters, similarly called tank-type, sit easily on stairs and make it easy to either work your way up or down. One of these machines, either rebuilt or refurbished, should last you a good while with care. Plastic models, like the Electrolux Epic may prove a little lighter if you have issues with weight and also serve well.

Of course, get a full understanding of the shop's warranty rules regarding refurbs and re-builts and its standard charge for replacement bags and filters before buying. Also make sure it can provide the mini nozzle as well as the full-size PN. However, if they try to soak you pricewise (more than 200 bucks) just because the rebuilt you're looking at bears the name Electrolux, tell them, "Thanks but no thanks."

Also, inquire about new Panasonic canister vacs with power nozzles at your local vac shops as well. (Look for model MC-CG902. It should range somewhere between $210 and $280.) Panasonic is a "good" vacuum that often comes at nice prices.

They're good at cleaning and have goods size disposable bags. Not a bad thing if you're a frequent vacuumer.

Some of Sears' new Kenmore canisters, can be had with regular power nozzle, mini electric mini nozzle and a bare floor tool no less, for about the $300 you're willing to spend. Please note that models 2029219 (orange and white body) and 2029319 (blue and white body) are musts to avoid. Not overly expensive but there's been a very noticeable amount of returns on them in my neck of the woods.

As usual, there will be great debate but bottom line if you have to be careful with your money -- be careful and save your money. I'm sure you too know, it doesn't fall from the sky.

Best,

Venson
This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42