Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Less Air Watts = Less Suction = Dirtier carpets?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
chrikenn

Less Air Watts = Less Suction = Dirtier carpets?
Original Message   Nov 16, 2010 2:59 pm
I'm looking at the Dyson DC24 and DC25.  Love the idea of the smaller DC24 but I noticed it has about 110 air watts, whereas the DC25 has about 220 air watts.  I read that air watts correlates to suction power.  Is it therefore accurate to say that because the DC24 has less suction power, that it will remove less dirt from my carpets when I vacuum them?  In other words, will the DC25 clean better because it has more suction power?

Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Less Air Watts = Less Suction = Dirtier carpets?
Reply #1   Nov 16, 2010 5:08 pm
chrikenn wrote:
I'm looking at the Dyson DC24 and DC25.  Love the idea of the smaller DC24 but I noticed it has about 110 air watts, whereas the DC25 has about 220 air watts.  I read that air watts correlates to suction power.  Is it therefore accurate to say that because the DC24 has less suction power, that it will remove less dirt from my carpets when I vacuum them?  In other words, will the DC25 clean better because it has more suction power?

Thanks.

If I may rephrase your question:  In other words, will the DC25 clean my rugs better better because it has more suction power? 

If you are a follower of Consumer Reports [November 2010 edition], and if you're not, the answer is according to CR: No.  Both DC24 and 25 receive a rating of Good for rug cleaning.  For pet hair, DC25 receives an Excellent and DC24 a Fair.

Suction power alone does get clean carpets.  Takes a revolving brush too for agitation to loosen imbedded dirt in rugs/carpets.  A combination of both brush roll and suction is the best for carpets/rugs.

If you are wedded to dyson ball models, the choice of one or the other depends on your cleaning requirements and budget.  DC24 is lightweight and a tad bit on the smallish side in size and performance for household usage.  Takes users longer to do cleaning/vacuuming than DC25.

If you're not wedded to dyson ball models there are a plethora of uprights that will clean carpets as well and better for a lot less than the $400-$500 dysons.  Depends on you and your likes and dislikes and cleaning needs.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #2   Nov 16, 2010 6:28 pm
Hi CHRIKENN

Have you thought about a tempo,riccar or panasonic...far better than dyson and has a bag to top it off...deep cleaners indeed and at a fraction of the cost.

Easy to maintain and a breeze to service....cant go wrong with a bagged version of the above suggestions.

just my view...turtle

vacmanuk

Reply #3   Nov 16, 2010 7:16 pm
chrikenn wrote:

Thanks.

Carmine is spot on with the difference. Infact the DC24 has a 0.85 litre dust bin capacity compared to the DC25 which has 1.3 litres. In Dyson's case because of the non-stop/continuous suction principle and the Dyson cyclone procedure, this company have made a big thing about air watts because of their "non-stop suction claim." However in my experience it's a lot of marketing rubbish because the built in filters will require cleaning from time to time. Ignore it and the suction will start to weaken. So in the case of a Dyson, although the air watts claim looks greater than the smaller model, it doesn't really matter - if you need to go bagless and fed up cleaning out paper filter cones or mesh filters after every clean, then a Dyson makes a lot more sense and the greater figure here is for bigger capacity bin, which I feel is probably greater to compensate for the bigger size of dust bin.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42