Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > How often do vacuums need a new belt?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ManikBhai

How often do vacuums need a new belt?
Original Message   Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am
My vacuum cleaner is not picking things up well. I have a new bag in it. I'm wondering if it needs a new belt, it hasn't had a new one since we bought it about 4 years ago. How often do vacuums need a new belt? Is there another part of the vacuum that may need cleaned or repaired to help it work better?

This message was modified Mar 15, 2016 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Venson

Re: How often do vacuums need a new belt?
Reply #1   Nov 12, 2010 11:35 am
ManikBhai wrote:
My vacuum cleaner is not picking things up well. I have a new bag in it. I'm wondering if it needs a new belt, it hasn't had a new one since we bought it about 4 years ago. How often do vacuums need a new belt? Is there another part of the vacuum that may need cleaned or repaired to help it work better?

Aha! Here I can help. Regular user replaceable vacuum belts should be checked periodically (every few months) and probably replaced roughly every six months to a year depending upon the amount of use the machine gets. (Special belts, cogged or made of long-lasting material may require less frequent checks and changing.)

As regards standard rubber vacuum belts, the ideal is to change them before they need changing -- just like the tires on our cars.

The good news is that vacuum belt replacement is far less expensive deal than getting new tires.

My best advice is this, take the machine in to local vacuum repair shop and have someone look it over and give it a tune-up/cleaning. As you haven't checked the belt in four years, I kind of guess you may not have changed your machines internal or exhaust filters. That too might be contributing to the problem.

After a local vac person has checked out and serviced your machine, which shouldn't cost much, have them carefully explain what they found. Also, look for your vacuum's user guide. If you've lost or misplaced it many vac makers still provide manuals for previous models by way of download.

A regular maintenance check is not a big to-do and will help keep your machine running at its best. Take a quick look at internal and exhaust filters after every couple of bag changes and don't allow bags to pack all the way full with dirt. By the way, what brand and model do you have?

Best,

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #2   Nov 13, 2010 10:01 am
Venson wrote:
Aha! Here I can help. Regular user replaceable vacuum belts should be checked periodically (every few months) and probably replaced roughly every six months to a year depending upon the amount of use the machine gets. (Special belts, cogged or made of long-lasting material may require less frequent checks and changing.)

As regards standard rubber vacuum belts, the ideal is to change them before they need changing -- just like the tires on our cars.

The good news is that vacuum belt replacement is far less expensive deal than getting new tires.

My best advice is this, take the machine in to local vacuum repair shop and have someone look it over and give it a tune-up/cleaning. As you haven't checked the belt in four years, I kind of guess you may not have changed your machines internal or exhaust filters. That too might be contributing to the problem.

After a local vac person has checked out and serviced your machine, which shouldn't cost much, have them carefully explain what they found. Also, look for your vacuum's user guide. If you've lost or misplaced it many vac makers still provide manuals for previous models by way of download.

A regular maintenance check is not a big to-do and will help keep your machine running at its best. Take a quick look at internal and exhaust filters after every couple of bag changes and don't allow bags to pack all the way full with dirt. By the way, what brand and model do you have?

Best,

Venson

BEFORE you go into a repairers check the following.

When the upright is on its back, check to see the roller brush is revolving at high speed. If it isn't then the drive belt will need to be replaced or there is a clog.

In my experience if an upright isn't picking up it could be a myriad of reasons. Switch off and take the sole plate off the bottom - is the roller brush clogged up with threads and hair? Remove it all and also check the main dust channel which is usually to the left or right of the upright. On some brands you can remove the entire dust channel but if its an old vacuum then just check with your fingers that nothing is clogged. Also check if you can, the main dust channel leading to the dust bag. Sometimes older uprights with a kinked hose at the bottom can get clogged.
retardturtle1

Reply #3   Nov 16, 2010 6:48 pm
Agree with all the above.....excellent advice from those who know.

turtle

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42