Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
procare

Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Original Message   Aug 7, 2010 10:01 pm
   Customers are coming in  asking  about bags, belts and filters for cleaners that Wal Mart sells. They were told they were discontinuing these products and want the customers to go online when they need these items. When you need a belt or anything else ,it is," I need it now", not days from now. These customers didn't like being told they had to go to another store if they had what they needed. In our area it is 20 miles in three directions for a store.

Many small businesses have been driven out of business by this company as well as other big box stores.I feel there will be a ressurection of the Independent Vac Shops because people will find getting parts and service there is better than going online and waiting. Looking at a cleaner and seeing what it will do is better than buying online and hope it does what it is supposed to. Online sales will still be made but having the service after the sale is still important. 

You can say what you will about your favorite brand but when it gets down to buying a cleaner going to a Vac Shop is the best way.  At Wal Mart and the other big box stores they sell you what they want to sell you. At least with Vac shops you can find a wider variety of Vacuums.The Door to Door sales peolpe also have a variety. It is if the cleaner meets the needs of the consumer that they buy.

Procare

This message was modified Aug 7, 2010 by procare
Replies: 41 - 50 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Reply #41   Nov 11, 2010 8:05 am
Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the article. Bloomy's, et al, must be in trouble but so are a lot of other folks -- the shoppers. I'll waiting to see if and when the "spartanizing" tactics might eventually make a significant difference for consumers too by way of prices. The more they trim their sails regarding overhead the less we expect to pay.

In past, the higher prices at Bloomingdale's, Macy's and other big department stores might have been excused or looked past due to the stores' efforts to manufacture a kind of special atmosphere, tone I guess is the better word, but that is apparently no longer a concern to shoppers. Everybody is looking to save.

Mr. Underhill's statement about confused customers is both on and off the mark. Yes, people may get confused but why? Considering the kind of near self-service venues they're attempting to move us toward, put out as many brands as you want but in regard to appliances, electronics, etc., provide clearly legible, plain English spec sheets/signs that customers may read for themselves -- especially in stores where sales help is sparse whether or not by design. I'd also add that I've walked out of more stores because in their effort to save they've cut back on staffing at the registers. Keep me in line too long and I begin counting reasons why I can live without whatever I'd intended to buy.

The only place I've seen a remedy for this so far is at Home Depot where they have self-service checkout areas.

There's also the matter of customer confidence. I see lots of sales staff pushing product merely because its sale garners higher commissions. This does not always lead to happiness for the customer. (This appears to happen a lot with Dyson over other good bagless brands though it also seems to only work once every blue moon when price comparisons are made.)

Considering the times and the economy, its sensible that all kinds of shopping venues lose a little fat but customers should never feel they're getting the bum's rush in the process. The store will surely lose in the end.

Venson
retardturtle1

Re: Walmart is supposedly getting out of belt ,filterand bag business in stores.
Reply #42   Nov 11, 2010 5:55 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the article. Bloomy's, et al, must be in trouble but so are a lot of other folks -- the shoppers. I'll waiting to see if and when the "spartanizing" tactics might eventually make a significant difference for consumers too by way of prices. The more they trim their sails regarding overhead the less we expect to pay.

In past, the higher prices at Bloomingdale's, Macy's and other big department stores might have been excused or looked past due to the stores' efforts to manufacture a kind of special atmosphere, tone I guess is the better word, but that is apparently no longer a concern to shoppers. Everybody is looking to save.

Mr. Underhill's statement about confused customers is both on and off the mark. Yes, people may get confused but why? Considering the kind of near self-service venues they're attempting to move us toward, put out as many brands as you want but in regard to appliances, electronics, etc., provide clearly legible, plain English spec sheets/signs that customers may read for themselves -- especially in stores where sales help is sparse whether or not by design. I'd also add that I've walked out of more stores because in their effort to save they've cut back on staffing at the registers. Keep me in line too long and I begin counting reasons why I can live without whatever I'd intended to buy.

The only place I've seen a remedy for this so far is at Home Depot where they have self-service checkout areas.

There's also the matter of customer confidence. I see lots of sales staff pushing product merely because its sale garners higher commissions. This does not always lead to happiness for the customer. (This appears to happen a lot with Dyson over other good bagless brands though it also seems to only work once every blue moon when price comparisons are made.)

Considering the times and the economy, its sensible that all kinds of shopping venues lose a little fat but customers should never feel they're getting the bum's rush in the process. The store will surely lose in the end.

Venson     

Hello Venson

Totally agree... I also have walked out and left what i planned to purchase due to long lines and countless unused registers. Its gotten to the point where online shopping is more conveinent and less of the hassle... the bbx stores can only lose in the end on this one.

turtle

Venson

Reply #43   Nov 11, 2010 6:39 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hello Venson

Totally agree... I also have walked out and left what i planned to purchase due to long lines and countless unused registers. Its gotten to the point where online shopping is more conveinent and less of the hassle... the bbx stores can only lose in the end on this one.

turtle

Hiya turtle,

How have you been?

Thinking on your response I can't help but wonder if that might not be what they want. You can even buy shoes online now. You just have to know your size. A mouse click will show color and provide an all around view.

I believe there are a few sites to which you may submit your measurements and body proportions for clothing buys.

I also make note that established credit is no longer necessary in that debit cards that draw directly from your bank account or pre-paid versions with usage fees are readily available. Just about anyone who wants to gets to play.

Venson
This message was modified Nov 11, 2010 by Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #44   Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm
Venson wrote:
Hiya turtle,

How have you been?

Thinking on your response I can't help but wonder if that might not be what they want. You can even buy shoes online now. You just have to know your size. A mouse click will show color and provide an all around view.

I believe there are a few sites to which you may submit your measurements and body proportions for clothing buys.

I also make note that established credit is no longer necessary in that debit cards that draw directly from your bank account or pre-paid versions with usage fees are readily available. Just about anyone who wants to gets to play.

Venson

Hey Venson

Ive been good....just really busy my friend......and how have you been?

Gotta say its much eiser to order online than to deal with the hassle of the bbx store lines.....the prepaid card is and are the sign of the times.

Turtle

CarmineD

Reply #45   Nov 12, 2010 6:45 pm
Bloomingdale's is owned by Macy's.  It's done well this year, better than most retailers, and improving over last year's operations.  Enjoying a sales resurgence, reduced costs and expenses, and upper end spending including on-line sales increase of 24% over last eyar.  3rd qtr 2010 profit of $10 MILLION and yearly earnings forecasts of $2 per share.  Total sales increased as same store sales increased 3.9%.  Expecting a good 4th quarter profit and with the current momentum a Holiday season at least as proportional in pricing and sales to last year.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #46   Nov 13, 2010 7:55 am
Several retailers normally closed on Thanksgiving Day are announcing they will be open.

Retailers are changing with the consumers.  Reflecting the same mood as the customers.  Leaner, meaner, more conservative spenders.  Retailers are adjusting to them too by downsizing and getting more lean.  Good business.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #47   Nov 13, 2010 9:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
Several retailers normally closed on Thanksgiving Day are announcing they will be open.

Retailers are changing with the consumers.  Reflecting the same mood as the customers.  Leaner, meaner, more conservative spenders.  Retailers are adjusting to them too by downsizing and getting more lean.  Good business.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I've got nothing against leaner or meaner as long as ease and convenience for shoppers is not overly sacrificed in finding what they like or want and paying up.

Thanks for the heads-up re Thanksgiving store openings. It will be interesting to see if shopping can compete with what's usually a big football day -- a big thing for a lot of Americans.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #48   Nov 13, 2010 1:11 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I've got nothing against leaner or meaner as long as ease and convenience for shoppers is not overly sacrificed in finding what they like or want and paying up.

Thanks for the heads-up re Thanksgiving store openings. It will be interesting to see if shopping can compete with what's usually a big football day -- a big thing for a lot of Americans.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I suspect after Church and Thanksgiving Day dinner, the men will recline to watch the football games on the big screen TV and the women will go shopping.  At least that will be the way it works for us.  In previous years, I mentioned that the ladies were up and out early for Friday sales after Thanksgiving Day.  With retailers opening on TD, less of a Friday morning sales rush.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #49   Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

I suspect after Church and Thanksgiving Day dinner, the men will recline to watch the football games on the big screen TV and the women will go shopping.  At least that will be the way it works for us.  In previous years, I mentioned that the ladies were up and out early for Friday sales after Thanksgiving Day.  With retailers opening on TD, less of a Friday morning sales rush.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Have to agree with you on that one ....did it one year and cant say i had fun. ..id rather have a tooth pulled. Nothing beats a full tummy and football...followed by a nap.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #50   Feb 7, 2011 1:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Procare:

Interesting.  I was at Wal*Mart this past Wednesday to purchase weatherstripping for my daughter and son-in-law's garage.  First time I made a visit there in months.  I checked out the vacuum aisles.  I was stunned.  The vacuum replacement parts portion was reduced in size from my previous visit and in complete disarray.  I looked for several common belts and bags and bagless filters but did not see them stocked.  I didn't really think much more than what I had read recently about a major shake-up in Wal*Mart management over merchandise inventory/supplies.  Never gave it a second thought.  You explained it.  Thanks for the information.

Carmine D.

I made one of several yearly visits to Wal*Mart today to buy enamel spray paint.  The local Wal*Mart Super Center has the exact brand and color of my outdoor lawn furniture which is in need of touch up.  Swung by the vacuum aisles.  2 aisles to be exact not counting the floor space thruout the store loaded with pallets of new vacuums.  Nice array of products as usual but noticed that the parts and vacuum supplies has been substantially culled and the newly available aisle space used to display more new floorcare products:  HOOVER, EUREKA, SHARK, BISSELL and DIRT DEVIL to be specific.  The vacuum parts were organized and in their correct spaces and places.  But the amount of space that they use now is probably 1/10 of the aisle space they once commanded in this store.  Easy to keep them all neatly in their place now.  The parts and supplies are mostly if not exclusively HOOVER, EUREKA, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL and SHARK accessories to match the lineup of the new floorcare products displayed and sold in this W*M store.

No parts for the high price bagless brand which has been culled down to a mere 2 display models collecting dust.

Carmine D.

Replies: 41 - 50 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42