Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Market share of major brands

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
wstromer

Market share of major brands
Original Message   Oct 20, 2010 6:30 pm
I have searched for any information regarding the market share for the major vacuum brands and I have not had any success.   I am specifically interested in the upright market but will take any kind of data.

If anyone on these boards has any insight and can point me to this kind of information it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-WDS
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Market share of major brands
Reply #1   Oct 20, 2010 6:53 pm
Hi. It is difficult to obtain market share because upright vacuums may well sell globally but its impossible to gauge state by state and country by country which one is popular against cylinder/canister and in some case other forms of vacuum cleaners like the back pack idea, which is more popular in the U.S than U.K

Can I ask what this is for?
CarmineD

Reply #2   Oct 20, 2010 8:36 pm
You may/might want to try NPD.  It tracks such data.  But be warned: The data is old at best and some makers don't want it published for general consumption.  AND it depends on how you count sales:  From maker ot retailer or maker to customer.  Consumer Reports data suggests that fro many years about 20 million new full sized vacuum products are sold each year in the USA to households.  Howver in recent years the 20 MILLION may be down due to the recession by anywhere from 3-5 percent.  The biggest market seller is TTI with Dirt Devil and HOOVER.  Probably 40-50 percent of the market or even more.  As a general rule, uprights outsell canisters almost 8 to one but in recent years canisters are enjoying a surge.  Hope this assists.

Carmine D.

wstromer

Reply #3   Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm
I have been tasked with developing a marketing plan for a college course.  :)

Normally I would be able to find a lot of this information in company SEC filings and other places but there are a lot of manufacturers that are privately owned and do not release that type of data (i.e. Dyson).  I do see from time to time that there will be a bit of information on percent of market share by a company but it is never all in one spot and not for all major (top 4 or 5) companies in the same year.
CarmineD

Reply #4   Oct 21, 2010 7:07 am
wstromer wrote:
I have been tasked with developing a marketing plan for a college course.  :)

Normally I would be able to find a lot of this information in company SEC filings and other places but there are a lot of manufacturers that are privately owned and do not release that type of data (i.e. Dyson).  I do see from time to time that there will be a bit of information on percent of market share by a company but it is never all in one spot and not for all major (top 4 or 5) companies in the same year.

Several years ago, I assisted a college student with a similar task.  Would be happy to do the same for you, if you like.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42