Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > A self-proclaimed vac guru marvels at the Dyson DC23.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

A self-proclaimed vac guru marvels at the Dyson DC23.
Original Message   Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm
A man who obviously knows what he's talking about appreciates the incredible design, incredible performance, and excellent quality of the DC23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9W6tCRSII Be sure to check out part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1rZHfUgyqI
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: A self-proclaimed vac guru marvels at the Dyson DC23.
Reply #1   Oct 10, 2010 6:49 pm
Hertz wrote:
A man who obviously knows what he's talking about appreciates the incredible design, incredible performance, and excellent quality of the DC23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9W6tCRSII Be sure to check out part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1rZHfUgyqI

BTW, an incredible dyson DC23 for $600 recently was rated 17 out of 27 canisters by Consumer Reports with a decent score of 61.  Dyson's DC22 for $700 came in 25th and appears to be scrubbed in the USA rating a dismal showing of 53.  It was impugned by CR for only meriting a fair test score for its cleaning results on carpets and pet hair.

Carmine D.

PS:  Part I of the video is just a narrative about the power head in stand alone mode.  No live demo of the vacuum and power head in real world use.  Just a lot of words and removing the brush roll and showing how to cut off the hair and rug wrap.  The demo-er has a DC27 beside this "used" DC23 which he purchased.  Obviously he likes and appreciates dysons.  But not enough to buy them at their new prices.    Smart man but like he said, he didn't get the 5 year warranty.

This message was modified Oct 10, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #2   Oct 10, 2010 9:07 pm
Hertz wrote:

As per usual Hertz, using someone elses video to prove points. And what lousy points this floor head has. It isnt as good or as well designed as the Sebo Et-1/Felix floor head or the older ET-H which Dyson have copied with the twin roller on a central pin idea. Wanna know why?

1) The underside may well be "suitable for hard floors," as this tester says but with so many hard plastic grids on the floor base, I just wouldn't trust it on my marble!
2) The brush roll should be easier to remove = unlike removing two screws which the tester convieniently forlorns with the use of a dime instead of a screw driver, the side hook that locks onto the side of the brush has been copied from SEBO's Felix. The Felix roller is also easier to remove by the touch of a button and not screws. The SEBO floor head also has a protected motor and shuts off when there's a clog.
3) The width of the floor head may well get under beds but the rear circular mounts on the side/not the central wheel underneath can actually get stuck. SEBO's wheels are smaller.
4) Smaller castors as the tester puts it at the front of the floor head can clog up with dirt - these wheels /castors are also used on many cheaper air driven turbo brush floor heads that have to be picked out to clean up if the owner doesnt bother.
5) Is the DC23 motorhead available for all Dyson vacuums with a plug? The Sebo floor heads are - suitable for all of the SEBO vacuums that have an electrical point at the base of their body.
Hertz

Reply #3   Oct 11, 2010 1:05 am
CarmineD wrote:
BTW, an incredible dyson DC23 for $600 recently was rated 17 out of 27 canisters by Consumer Reports with a decent score of 61.  Dyson's DC22 for $700 came in 25th and appears to be scrubbed in the USA rating a dismal showing of 53.  It was impugned by CR for only meriting a fair test score for its cleaning results on carpets and pet hair.

Carmine D.

PS:  Part I of the video is just a narrative about the power head in stand alone mode.  No live demo of the vacuum and power head in real world use.  Just a lot of words and removing the brush roll and showing how to cut off the hair and rug wrap.  The demo-er has a DC27 beside this "used" DC23 which he purchased.  Obviously he likes and appreciates dysons.  But not enough to buy them at their new prices.    Smart man but like he said, he didn't get the 5 year warranty.

Anyone who trusts consumer reports and their ignorant, biased methods of testing is probably beyond saving; I guess that's what a Miele and a Dyson have in common as well, being inferior to a Kenmore machine, as per the bought-out consumer dumb xxx reports. What a load of crap. Sure, he purchased it used, not everyone has the luxury of buying a new machine, but that further proves my point in that he's, and I quote "NEVER" had a problem w/ it. Ever. The video shows the incredible engineering that goes into it, such as being able to easily snip away hairs, the fact is shuts off automatically - my Miele SEB 217 doesn't even do that, xxxxxxxxx, and the fact you can easily spot a clog and *VERY* easily remove it. Not to mention the build quality is a good 10 times of what you could get at Best Buy or Sears.

*Portions deleted by Moderator*
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by a moderator
Hertz

Reply #4   Oct 11, 2010 1:14 am
vacmanuk wrote:
As per usual Hertz, using someone elses video to prove points. And what lousy points this floor head has. It isnt as good or as well designed as the Sebo Et-1/Felix floor head or the older ET-H which Dyson have copied with the twin roller on a central pin idea. Wanna know why?

1) The underside may well be "suitable for hard floors," as this tester says but with so many hard plastic grids on the floor base, I just wouldn't trust it on my marble!
2) The brush roll should be easier to remove = unlike removing two screws which the tester convieniently forlorns with the use of a dime instead of a screw driver, the side hook that locks onto the side of the brush has been copied from SEBO's Felix. The Felix roller is also easier to remove by the touch of a button and not screws. The SEBO floor head also has a protected motor and shuts off when there's a clog.
3) The width of the floor head may well get under beds but the rear circular mounts on the side/not the central wheel underneath can actually get stuck. SEBO's wheels are smaller.
4) Smaller castors as the tester puts it at the front of the floor head can clog up with dirt - these wheels /castors are also used on many cheaper air driven turbo brush floor heads that have to be picked out to clean up if the owner doesnt bother.
5) Is the DC23 motorhead available for all Dyson vacuums with a plug? The Sebo floor heads are - suitable for all of the SEBO vacuums that have an electrical point at the base of their body.

It's actually more like what lousy perception you have man. So many plastic grids? Dude, the wheels are THERE to keep any scratching from happening. THey're actually high quality wheels, and sure they may clog w/ dirt, but if you clean take care of your stuff and have half a brain, they won't be a problem, just like the ones on my Miele/WesselWerks SEB 217 aren't, and in reality are an EXCELLENT addition, love 'em on my hardwood floors. The brushroll has to be easier to remove?! That has to be the dumbest, lousiest point bar none; TWO screws dude, TWO, if you have trouble counting that high then I can see why that could be a problem, either that or it's just being pathetically lazy. Given you're picking the most insignificant, moot points to call "lousy" only proves how hard of a time you have trying to actually say anything bad, and proves just how well design this Dyson machine is. Gee, let's see here man, a second opinion is what any respectable person would offer up as a means to back up an argument or prove a point, and the fact this guy has much praise for this machine just goes to prove what an awesome machine Dyson manufactures.
CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 11, 2010 3:17 am
Hertz wrote:
Anyone who trusts consumer reports and their ignorant, biased methods of testing is probably beyond saving; I guess that's what a Miele and a Dyson have in common as well, being inferior to a Kenmore machine, as per the bought-out consumer dumb ass reports. What a load of crap. Sure, he purchased it used, not everyone has the luxury of buying a new machine, but that further proves my point in that he's, and I quote "NEVER" had a problem w/ it. Ever. The video shows the incredible engineering that goes into it, such as being able to easily snip away hairs, the fact is shuts off automatically - my Miele SEB 217 doesn't even do that, and the fact you can easily spot a clog and *VERY* easily remove it. Not to mention the build quality is a good 10 times of what you could get at Best Buy or Sears.

On your first point [trust for Consumer Reports]:  About 20 MILLION faithful US readers per month every month by recent authoritative estimates.  On the second point, [dyson and MIELE being inferior to Kenmore] you can't pair MIELE and dyson together in ratings by CR with Kenmore.  Why?  MIELE vacuums score much better by CR than dysons in Nov 2010.  CR rates 3 MIELE uprights and 3 MIELE canns in the top 10 and/or 12 vacuum product line ups.  All with respectable scores that are comparable to the top/best rated CR vacuum models/brands.  CR also rates 2 MIELE models, one upright and one cann, as recommended buys for vacuum consumers.  Dyson does not rate any vacuums in the top 10 in Nov 2010 reviews and sadly NEVER ever has.  The FACT is dyson has never received a recommended buy by CR for any of its models in 8 plus years of trying, let alone 2 models one upright and one canister simultaneously like MIELE.  For an avid dyson fan like yourself, these FACTS must be difficult and even impossible for you to understand and accept.  The term in psychology is denial.  No doubt the reason you feel compelled to berate and begrudge CR despite its faithful readership and following.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #6   Oct 11, 2010 3:28 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Poster does the same with DC23 canister video as the power head video.  Talks words for 10 and half minutes without ever turning the vacuum on and using it. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Oct 11, 2010 11:36 am
Hertz wrote:
It's actually more like what lousy perception you have man. So many plastic grids? Dude, the wheels are THERE to keep any scratching from happening. THey're actually high quality wheels, and sure they may clog w/ dirt, but if you clean take care of your stuff and have half a brain, they won't be a problem, just like the ones on my Miele/WesselWerks SEB 217 aren't, and in reality are an EXCELLENT addition, love 'em on my hardwood floors. The brushroll has to be easier to remove?! That has to be the dumbest, lousiest point bar none; TWO screws dude, TWO, if you have trouble counting that high then I can see why that could be a problem, either that or it's just being pathetically lazy. Given you're picking the most insignificant, moot points to call "lousy" only proves how hard of a time you have trying to actually say anything bad, and proves just how well design this Dyson machine is. Gee, let's see here man, a second opinion is what any respectable person would offer up as a means to back up an argument or prove a point, and the fact this guy has much praise for this machine just goes to prove what an awesome machine Dyson manufactures.

Hey xxxxxx, you trying to tell me that removing a brush roll by two screws is easier than pressing a button release? 

*Portions deleted by Moderator"
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by a moderator
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #8   Oct 11, 2010 1:30 pm
This thread is starting to go in the wrong direction.  Let's watch the language and name-calling.

Mike W.
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Oct 11, 2010 5:10 pm
Mike_W wrote:
This thread is starting to go in the wrong direction.  Let's watch the language and name-calling.

Mike W.
Apologies Mike but Isnt it about time you did something about members on here who keep posting endless videos from You Tube (which they dont make themselves) which are designed to antagonize your members as well as the obvious endless posts on this forum?
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by vacmanuk
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Oct 13, 2010 7:11 am
Spoke to Dyson UK this morning and they confirm that the DC23 Motorhead on its own weighs 2.2kg. The SEBO ET-1 weighs 1.8kg. For an older machine floor head, this is pretty impressive and isn't less of a strain to pick up off the floor.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42