Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Incredible new Bosch vacuums.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Incredible new Bosch vacuums.
Original Message   Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm
Look at these gems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNBxAE1FWyU Seem to get good reviews, too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-BSG8PRO1GB-Cylinder-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B001E5CBRU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1271175245&sr=1-6 Does anybody here have any personal experience with Bosch? Are they Made in Germany? I do believe these new machines are, like Bosch's REAL products; not their somewhat decent but simply re-badged bagless upright that was supposedly a Vax and Dirt Devil re-name. Not even sure if that's true. But anyways check out that new bagless machine. A German-Made bagless?! This should be sweet. That new technology looks very interesting, too :D Ten year motor warranty, as well. Very impressive!
Replies: 7 - 16 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Incredible new Bosch vacuums.
Reply #7   Oct 3, 2010 9:25 am
Nice but I wonder if Bosch plans to venture again into the American market.  It pulled out a couple of years ago because it wasn't getting enough of a return for the effort.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Oct 3, 2010 10:58 am
Dont know the price ranges as yet Carmine - but I'm speculating that since they are based on the expensive Free'e series, they will be highly priced and put into Miele S5 territory.
CarmineD

Reply #9   Oct 4, 2010 7:28 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Dont know the price ranges as yet Carmine - but I'm speculating that since they are based on the expensive Free'e series, they will be highly priced and put into Miele S5 territory.

Tough market and price range to launch new products in now.  S2 venue would be more realistic epsecially in current economic times.  Then move up into the S5 territory.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #10   Oct 4, 2010 9:13 am
CarmineD wrote:
Tough market and price range to launch new products in now.  S2 venue would be more realistic epsecially in current economic times.  Then move up into the S5 territory.

Carmine D.

Nope. The Siemens/Bosch have a compact line up already - this series would be premium, sitting alongside Miele S5.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Oct 5, 2010 7:08 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Nope. The Siemens/Bosch have a compact line up already - this series would be premium, sitting alongside Miele S5.

That is true for your side of the pond, vacmanuk.  Not here in the USA.  No vacuums at all from Bosch as yet.

http://www.bosch-home.com/us

Breaking into the US market, if Bosch does, at the TOL full size price range [$1000] would be difficult for Bosch but not impossible.  More appropriate to start with the compact $300 S2 range and work up IMHO.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2010 11:55 am
An advert for the Bosch with the line '50% energy saving with no loss of performance.' has today been banned in the UK by the ASA, due to lack of evidence to back up the claim.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/12/dyson-complaint-about-ad-for-rival-vacs-is-upheld-238966/

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by M00seUK
Venson

Reply #13   Dec 9, 2010 5:17 pm
M00seUK wrote:
An advert for the Bosch with the line '50% energy saving with no loss of performance.' has today been banned in the UK by the ASA, due to lack of evidence to back up the claim.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/12/dyson-complaint-about-ad-for-rival-vacs-is-upheld-238966/

Hi M00seUK,

As the main factor re vacuum cleaner energy consumption is rate of use time versus power draw, I think there's going to be a lot of back and forth on the issue. Either a high power draw vac that actually shortens vacuuming time by way of single or double-pass deep clean ability OR a high-efficiency vac that runs at half or less todays standard power draw appears to be needed. We've already had the latter by way of several American brands, especially the Electrolux G and the Hoover Convertible. However, the low-watt vacuum motor has been long abandoned.

I don't think there's any way to seriously broach energy consumption issues without readapting to simply using less power draw.

Having said all that and even though vacuuming can be a lengthy and labor intensive task, I'll never be quite convinced that it puts all that big a hit on an electric bill. People, even the very fussy frequent cleaners, don't vacuum that long. You use far more electricity by way of cooking appliances, refrigerators and clothes dryers.

I'd add be sure to read the consumer reviews included with this article. They were very favorable giving me the feeling that maybe the finger pointing and tattling is just another matter of sour grapes on Dyson's part.

Best,

Venson
This message was modified Dec 10, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #14   Dec 10, 2010 7:30 am
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

As the main factor re vacuum cleaner energy consumption is rate of use time versus power draw, I think there's going to be a lot of back and forth on the issue. Either a high power draw vac that actually shortens vacuuming time by way of single or double-pass deep clean ability OR a high-efficiency vac that runs at half or less todays standard power draw appears. We've already had the latter by way of several American brands, especially the Electrolux G and the Hoover Convertible. However, the low-watt vacuum motor has been long abandoned.

I don't think there's any way to seriously broach energy consumption issues without readapting to simply using less power draw.

Having said all that and even though vacuuming can be a lengthy and labor intensive task, I'll never be quite convinced that it puts all that big a hit on an electric bill. People, even the very fussy frequent cleaners, don't vacuum that long. You far more electricity by way of cooking appliances, refrigerators and clothes dryers.

I'd add be sure to read the consumer reviews included with this article. They were very favorable giving me the feeling that maybe the finger pointing and tattling is just another matter of sour grapes on Dyson's part.

Best,

Venson

Agree with you Venson.  Sir James is rattled because Bosch launched several compact canns that give his baby dyson a whupping.  And Which? and consumers praise them and they are affordable.  We've seen this litigation tact by dyson before.  Running to the ASA whenever a competitor whups it fair and square with better products and prices.  Like the boy crying wolf.  After a few times, it loses credibility.  As you say, read the Which? reviews and the Bosch products are notable. 

I like the ASA rationale for banning the claim: "likely to mislead."  What in the heck does that mean?  ASA's rationale is likely to mislead readers too.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 10, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #15   Dec 11, 2010 8:21 pm
I can see where ASA/advertising bodies are coming from. Bosch has made a claim using a dust bag that maintains suction without evidence yet Dyson for years proved that all dust bags do clog and reduce suction.
Venson

Reply #16   Dec 12, 2010 4:19 am
vacmanuk wrote:
I can see where ASA/advertising bodies are coming from. Bosch has made a claim using a dust bag that maintains suction without evidence yet Dyson for years proved that all dust bags do clog and reduce suction.

"Proved," you said? There was nothing to prove. It was and has been common knowledge that bagged vacuums have to be emptied at some point to provide good performance. Some bagged machines are better at it than others. Come to think of it, for quite a while bag size and dust collection capacity was considered a real factor for making purchase decisions. It has been forgotten by consumer periodicals and subsequently by bagged vacuum consumers.

The Miele bags I use are over the four-quart line by way of capacity and do quite well in regard to maintaining air flow/suction power. The multi-layer high-filtration bags do allow for good suction longer and improved dust containment.

Bagged versus bagless, the real advantage for me is not having to either think about or need to make bag changes more than once every three or four weeks and that's just fine by me. Things here at the old corral don't get any cleaner for want of suction that lasts forever.

-Bagless machines, per manufacturers' instruction, require far more frequent emptying. Forgetting that point -- I've raised more dust and gotten my hands dirtier clearing out collection bins than I ever did when emptying even ancient Electroluxes or Hoovers with cloth bags. That should make Dyson feel threatened.

Whatever the case, it still appears to me that Dyson, despite its monetary success, is overly sensitive and a poor sport that will do or try anything to dampen competition. The ASA ruling leaves me cold and also makes me highly suspicious as to whether it is a bedfellow of Dyson. Despite what I think or don't think of its product I can say flat out that I think far less of the company due to its constant yapping and kvetching. Sometimes it's better just to shut up and do your work.

Bosch can probably get around the issue by simply inserting something like "maintains high suction better and longer than other/most BAGGED vacuums" within its advertising text and there would be little or nothing that the ASA or Dyson could say or do. AND -- there'll be far less from its bagged competitors.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 7 - 16 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42