Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: New vacuums from Aerus, Electrolux, Lindhaus, Miele, Panasonic, and Sebo

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: New vacuums from Aerus, Electrolux, Lindhaus, Miele, Panasonic, and Sebo
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 4:54 pm
More opinions from CR for better or worse...

An Electrolux that reminds them of Barney the Dinasaur.... 

CR takes Lux to task for not offering more performance for the price.  

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/07/best-vacuums-review-sebo-automatic-x5-lindhaus-diamante-380-miele-s-2120-olympus-aerus-lux-legacy-lu.html

(sorry forgot link earlier)

This message was modified Sep 30, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: New vacuums from Aerus, Electrolux, Lindhaus, Miele, Panasonic, and Sebo
Reply #12   Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:

You're validating the point that more popular selling vacuum brands/models get the most high profile negative PR for recall problems.  While least popular selling vacuums don't.  I recall recently that RAINBOW models were recalled for the same/similar electical shorting problems as the TTI WT series.  But RAINBOW's recall did not make national news and did not affect CR's reliability rating of RAINBOW.  Moot point perhaps from CR's point of view in part because RAINBOW nevers makes high enough grades for BEST BUY/Recommended.  However from a purist's perspective, a recall of the same percentage of RAINBOW made/sold units should be comparable for reliability as that for HOOVER and/or Eureka/Electrolux.  Not knowing the details behind CR's reliability criteria/measure make it difficult, if not impossible, to accept CR's conclusion for reliability of brands as truth/fact.  Now [March 2011], CR raises the bar for recommendations and best buy picks to include reliability.  That's a CR perogative.  BUT...it's disingenuous to use the same criteria for reliability for $300-$800 priced brand/models for $70-$100 priced brand/models.  Just as CR separates bag from bagless vacuums for ratings, perhaps it should separate brands/models by price ranges too for rating purposes.  Or, as I suggested, provide more details about the methodology for testing/rating reliability of vacuums.   

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I wonder if striving to prove efficient -- which seems the reasoning for CR's sometimes too short, sweet and to the point ratings, means missing the forest for the trees.  If that's what's happening, is it worth it?  My first problem with CR is that, though it groups bagged and bagless models, regarding canisters it does not group the straight-suction models separate from the cans with power nozzles.  CR used to do this and should consider continuing to.  Straight suction cans are great in certain situations and not so great in others and the line of division should be be made clear.

As for Rainbow AND Kirby, both are too expensive for the larger part of consumers and I think they merit lesser ratings by way of CR  because there are match-ups that clean as well or better than either and that match or surpass emmissions numbers for far less cost to buy.  CR has appeared lax in my books about making this clear.  As well, if they are going to test ultra-high-cost vacuums I haven't felt much of a serious effort has been made in that the prior companies mentioned do not constitute the total brands of pricey door to door sold machines.  Delphin, Miracle Mate, Filter Queen, Big Power, Hyla -- just to name some -- are also being hawked here DTD.  Though ultra pricey achines need not be tested every year, I'd appreciate assessments of value from CR for these every few years or so.

CarmineD

Re: Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: New vacuums from Aerus, Electrolux, Lindhaus, Miele, Panasonic, and Sebo
Reply #13   Feb 15, 2011 7:48 am
Hi Venson:

Perhaps Consumer Reports shuns the ultra high priced models because of its own budget restrictions and limitations. 

No excuse for CR to withhold details for HOOVER and Electrolux brands and models if the brands do not meet CR's reliability standards.  Give consumers and the vacuum makers the CR standards and let us determine if the brands/models fall short.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #14   Feb 16, 2011 8:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Perhaps Consumer Reports shuns the ultra high priced models because of its own budget restrictions and limitations. 

No excuse for CR to withhold details for HOOVER and Electrolux brands and models if the brands do not meet CR's reliability standards.  Give consumers and the vacuum makers the CR standards and let us determine if the brands/models fall short.

Carmine D.

Ah But Carmine, if CR were to give truer findings, they'd probably lose the sponsorship from the companies who loan out the vacuum cleaners or strike a deal. On EBAY UK there are many models appearing that have been quoted, "used for a professional testing organisation," under the "manufacturer refurbished," tag recently - and one can't help wondering if these "professional testing organisations," include Which? consumer mag and other likewise testing fields. Those models have a set price, much lower than the brand new boxed one in the shops/online.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Ah But Carmine, if CR were to give truer findings, they'd probably lose the sponsorship from the companies who loan out the vacuum cleaners or strike a deal. On EBAY UK there are many models appearing that have been quoted, "used for a professional testing organisation," under the "manufacturer refurbished," tag recently - and one can't help wondering if these "professional testing organisations," include Which? consumer mag and other likewise testing fields. Those models have a set price, much lower than the brand new boxed one in the shops/online.

Hi Vacmanuk:

CR buys its products for testing and refuses sponsorship from all and any product makers.  Says it does this to remain independent and honest.  Unlike Consumers Digest which solicits fees from product makers to allow the makers to use the CD recommendation in printed ads. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #16   Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk:

CR buys its products for testing and refuses sponsorship from all and any product makers.  Says it does this to remain independent and honest.  Unlike Consumers Digest which solicits fees from product makers to allow the makers to use the CD recommendation in printed ads. 

Carmine D.

These claims are the only reason I've bother with Consumer Reports over the years.  I pay little attention to Consumers Digest or Good Houskeeping's Seal of Approval.  Does Which? bear the same standard or does it get funding from manufacturers?

Venson

Venson

Reply #17   Feb 17, 2011 8:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk:

Carmine D.

These claims are the only reason I've bother with Consumer Reports over the years.  I pay little attention to Consumers Digest or Good Houskeeping's Seal of Approval.  Does Which? bear the same standard or does it get funding from manufacturers?

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #18   Feb 17, 2011 8:41 am
Venson wrote:

Venson

We heard you the first time.
Venson

Reply #19   Feb 17, 2011 8:50 am
HARDSELL wrote:
We heard you the first time.

Okay, okay -- I'll shut up!

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 17, 2011 8:52 am
Venson wrote:

Venson

Hello Venson:

You along with 20 MILLION monthly readers of Consumer Reports.  While I don't subscribe to CR, save for gifts of subscriptions given to me over the years, I do make it a point of buying selected CR issues off the shelf.  Usually at COSTCO where the price is discounted from the newstand and store prices by 30 percent. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #21   Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm
Venson wrote:

Venson

I think Which does get the machines on loan. They test quite a few models and wouldn't be able to afford to buy all of them, even at reduced costs.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42