Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
MBZimm

Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 2:32 am
We just had wool berber wall-to-wall carpeting installed in several rooms of our home. The manufacturer recommends a suction only vacuum, without a beater bar to "avoid excessive fuzzing."
First, is a beater bar and a brush roll the same thing on a vacuum?
And second what's my best bet for a vacuum? We have 700-square-feet of wool berber carpets, 600-square-feet of laminate and 200-square-feet of tile (including stairs) to vacuum. We own two boxers (dogs) that shed short hair and live in a dusty (agricultural) area.
At the recommendation of a local shop we tried out a Miele Titan (with 217 head) with the brush roll on (they're some of the softest brushes according to sales person). We used it for a while on a remnant of our carpet and I noticed what I think is some fuzzing so I worry that with extended use we will really wear into the carpet. Is there anything with some kind of brush roll or option other than straight suction to really get the dog hair up? Or something with enough suction not to worry about it?
The Miele seemed to do a very nice job but we're struggling for an accurate comparison point.

THANK YOU!!!
Replies: 9 - 18 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile
Reply #9   Oct 1, 2010 7:02 am
MBZimm wrote:
So, seems like Miele Titan at $550 is our best bet, over the discontinued Jubilee (silver model) at $750?

Is there anything as soft on berber that's cheaper??? I have little to no doubt either is a great vacuum but this is a lot for us to spend right now!

Get a mini bagless upright first and see how you fare! You can always hang onto it for emergencies or sell it on later. You'll be wasting bags with the carpet fluff you accomodate.
MBZimm

Reply #10   Oct 1, 2010 11:01 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Get a mini bagless upright first and see how you fare! You can always hang onto it for emergencies or sell it on later. You'll be wasting bags with the carpet fluff you accomodate.

Which mini bagless do you suggest? And although I'll go through more bags, won't I still spend less on bags than a mini vac and get the benefit of both surface and deep cleaning at the same time if I just decide which canister to go with?
vacmanuk

Reply #11   Oct 1, 2010 9:19 pm
MBZimm wrote:
Which mini bagless do you suggest? And although I'll go through more bags, won't I still spend less on bags than a mini vac and get the benefit of both surface and deep cleaning at the same time if I just decide which canister to go with?

You won't be deep cleaning when dealing with Berber in the first year, believe me! The first year your bags will contain more of the carpet fuzz than pet hair even though that's quite a trial having to deal with both. I don't own the type of dog you have - I have two Westies and the amount of pet hair plus the cat I have means one vacuum cleaner never suffices. You could buy any of the bagless types that are on the market, even a cheap Hoover upright - make sure its an upright though as pet hair and fuzz as I said before has a bad habit of clogging up electronic brush heads and Miele's electronic heads or air driven turbo brushes all have average to small dust channels which can clog with hair and carpet fluff. Deep cleaning only occurs once a carpet has settled, thus there's more of a chance getting to the fibres that need to be cleaned. This is why deep cleaning works when a carpet is washed for example - and that's another machine you may have to consider if you have pets and Berber in the long term! Dont go down the steam cleaner route. I tried that and have spent a fortune on steam cleaners - they just dont work very well on carpets unless you get a commercial grade machine and that can go into big money!

Since I'm not in the U.S I can't begin to wonder what mini bagless upright types there are but I have a feeling there are quite a few. I have used a few that are available in the U.K under U.S branding such as the Dirt Devil Vibe but the top filter on that vacuum is lousy and their better one (not sure if Dirt Devil U.S still sell it) is the Dynammite model. That is a fairly basic upright that has a twist release filter that can be messy but at least there is only ONE filter to deal with! Granted if you want clean disposal then consider other larger vacs on the market that take cheaper dust bags. Certainly from what Carmine and others have suggested a Miele would be your ideal solution but they're not cheap in the U.S and neither is the Sebo series (a brand I quite like).

http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=UH70212&ds=false

Well, this one looks quite good and its fairly cheap at 159.99 dollars! It certainly sounds like it could be a good cheap alternative "in the meantime," vacuum. It may not be "mini" by dimension but it has quite a few features - anyone on here actually own this vacuum rather than rely on consumer testing?? It has brush stop action and apparently pet hair marketed tools. At the price, I'd say its not that bad = but its a pity we dont have them in the U.K Sadly the Hoover models we have in the U.K are rather old fashioned and are worlds away from the models you have in the U.S/Canada.

I'd definately recommend going bagless and down the cheap route FIRST. Just be gentle with the vac and it will take off the "top soil" fluff in the first year. Otherwise you'll be going through One or Two of the larger Miele dust bags per month which is definately not cost effective and the Miele you've chosen won't get a chance to do the job its supposed to do when you'll find yourself picking out bits of carpet fluff thanks to the smaller dust channels. Yes, whilst Miele vacuums are supposed to clean carpets efficiently, they are also built with engineering expertise (as with SEBO) that prolongs the life in your carpet.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Oct 2, 2010 8:00 am
vacmanuk wrote:
You won't be deep cleaning when dealing with Berber in the first year, believe me! The first year your bags will contain more of the carpet fuzz than pet hair even though that's quite a trial having to deal with both. I don't own the type of dog you have - I have two Westies and the amount of pet hair plus the cat I have means one vacuum cleaner never suffices. You could buy any of the bagless types that are on the market, even a cheap Hoover upright - make sure its an upright though as pet hair and fuzz as I said before has a bad habit of clogging up electronic brush heads and Miele's electronic heads or air driven turbo brushes all have average to small dust channels which can clog with hair and carpet fluff. Deep cleaning only occurs once a carpet has settled, thus there's more of a chance getting to the fibres that need to be cleaned. This is why deep cleaning works when a carpet is washed for example - and that's another machine you may have to consider if you have pets and Berber in the long term! Dont go down the steam cleaner route. I tried that and have spent a fortune on steam cleaners - they just dont work very well on carpets unless you get a commercial grade machine and that can go into big money!

Since I'm not in the U.S I can't begin to wonder what mini bagless upright types there are but I have a feeling there are quite a few. I have used a few that are available in the U.K under U.S branding such as the Dirt Devil Vibe but the top filter on that vacuum is lousy and their better one (not sure if Dirt Devil U.S still sell it) is the Dynammite model. That is a fairly basic upright that has a twist release filter that can be messy but at least there is only ONE filter to deal with! Granted if you want clean disposal then consider other larger vacs on the market that take cheaper dust bags. Certainly from what Carmine and others have suggested a Miele would be your ideal solution but they're not cheap in the U.S and neither is the Sebo series (a brand I quite like).

http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=UH70212&ds=false

Well, this one looks quite good and its fairly cheap at 159.99 dollars! It certainly sounds like it could be a good cheap alternative "in the meantime," vacuum. It may not be "mini" by dimension but it has quite a few features - anyone on here actually own this vacuum rather than rely on consumer testing?? It has brush stop action and apparently pet hair marketed tools. At the price, I'd say its not that bad = but its a pity we dont have them in the U.K Sadly the Hoover models we have in the U.K are rather old fashioned and are worlds away from the models you have in the U.S/Canada.

I'd definately recommend going bagless and down the cheap route FIRST. Just be gentle with the vac and it will take off the "top soil" fluff in the first year. Otherwise you'll be going through One or Two of the larger Miele dust bags per month which is definately not cost effective and the Miele you've chosen won't get a chance to do the job its supposed to do when you'll find yourself picking out bits of carpet fluff thanks to the smaller dust channels. Yes, whilst Miele vacuums are supposed to clean carpets efficiently, they are also built with engineering expertise (as with SEBO) that prolongs the life in your carpet.

Excellent choice for the money.  HOOVER T series [2 models] bagless Windtunnel Rewind and Pet Rewind.  18 pounds.  $130-$160.  Caveat:  Recall on the cord rewind.  Rated a Consumer Reports Best Buy.

The HOOVER Web page gives an excellent description of features and pictures for this model and videos.  Sold by all the big box retailers.  With a manual rug height adjustment and brush roll shut off.  Allows use of straight suction and brush roll as needed.  If I recall correctly comes with a 2 year guaranty.  I'll check that and confirm.  That's true 2 years.

Carmine D.

The WindTunnel® Pet Rewind™ bagless upright helps you manage unruly pet hair and features an easy cord rewind, a folding handle for storage, 5 position carpet height adjustment, and the easy-to-clean Air-Powered Pet Hand Tool. There's no loss of suction* with Hoover® patented WindTunnel® technology that traps and channels dirt into the dirt cup** and minimizes scatter. It's everything you asked for and more!

• Only 17.8 pounds - light and easy to use with thorough cleaning power
  • Easy-to-Clean Pet Attachments-rubber blades and rolling brushes
  • Cord Rewind with 27-Foot Cord - no more winding?gently tap the pedal to activate the 27-Foot Cord Rewind and retract the cord to store neatly inside
  • Intuitive Power Controls - conveniently positioned where they should be - right at your fingertips
  • Folding Handle - makes storage a snap, ideal for small storage spaces
  • Fabulous Filtration - Carbon Filter absorbs musty pet odors; also features a rinsable filter and high-quality HEPA filter
  • 27-Foot Power Cord - vacuum a large room without re-plugging
  • No Scuff Bumper - protects furniture when you can't be as careful as you'd like
  • Headlight - illuminates dark corners & under furniture for thorough cleaning
  • System Check Indicator - indicates when the filter needs to be cleaned or checked
  • Suction Only Mode Pedal - press to easily transition from carpet to hard floors
  • Easy Belt Change System & Brushroll Access - simply flip two levers to change the belt or access the brushroll
  • 5 Position Carpet Height Adjustment - adjust as needed to clean all flooring types efficiently
  • 8-Foot Stretch Hose - provides instant extended reach
  • Limited 2-year warranty

Included Accessories:

• Air-Powered Pet Hand Tool - rubber blades collect hair and powerful suction carries it away, reducing need to clean blades
  • 12-Inch Extension Wand - extends reach of the hose
  • Crevice Tool - helps clean nooks and crannies
  • Pet Upholstery Tool - rubber blades pull stubborn pet hair away from upholstery.

See other WindTunnel T-Series™ uprights.

WindTunnel T- Series

*Per IEC 60312 4th Edition, Clause 2.9. Test results within accepted variability tolerance of 5%.

**On carpet, per ASTM F608

This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #13   Oct 2, 2010 10:42 am
Oh My.. I didnt realise it was a best seller. I just went to Hoover.com and looked at a model that seemed good value for money. You guys are lucky. When I convert the price into UK pounds, that's about £101.04 and for that money you can't even buy a Dyson over here for that kind of cash! Infact the comparative model that even gets close to the Hoover I listed on here yesterday would be our "best selling brand," Vax (thanks to TTi and Hoover U.S Windtunnel) VZL-6013/AL upright which doesn't have half the features the Hoover has. You guys may well have seen it before under a Hoover Windtunnel deriative;

CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 2, 2010 3:43 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh My.. I didnt realise it was a best seller. I just went to Hoover.com and looked at a model that seemed good value for money. You guys are lucky. When I convert the price into UK pounds, that's about £101.04 and for that money you can't even buy a Dyson over here for that kind of cash! Infact the comparative model that even gets close to the Hoover I listed on here yesterday would be our "best selling brand," Vax (thanks to TTi and Hoover U.S Windtunnel) VZL-6013/AL upright which doesn't have half the features the Hoover has. You guys may well have seen it before under a Hoover Windtunnel deriative;

Right on both accounts vacmanuk for this selection.  Consumer Reports rated the HOOVER T-Series bagless WT Rewind EQUAL to the $600 top of the line dyson DC28 with identical score of 67.  Most posters here agree DC28 is dyson's best upright to date.  Most posters here who are close followers of CR also opine that any upright vacuum with a CR score of 60 or better is a worthy performing vacuum product.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #15   Oct 9, 2010 9:33 am
So, MBZimm, let us know what you have bought!!
hooverman

Reply #16   Oct 21, 2010 4:57 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Now let's not say about Vax (Vax USA)  Vax USA is NOT TTI; they're WORSE than anything TTI makes.  I'd rather have a Regina Housekeeper or a XXX Tandem Air anyday over Vax X5.
vacmanuk

Reply #17   Oct 21, 2010 5:26 pm
Eh News flash Hooverman - Vax U.S is owned by TTi. See the main profile page: http://www.vaxusa.com/
Aviori7

Reply #18   Nov 27, 2010 5:58 am
I have been in the cleaning industry for a while and not even from my own experience, I would recommend you considering a Dyson Ball vacuum since its brush roll can be turned off to protect carpets or any other sensitive surface.
This message was modified Jun 7, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 9 - 18 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42