Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
chirkut123

Miele S2 vs S5
Original Message   Sep 21, 2010 6:49 pm
I'm set on purchasing a Miele canister. Need some insight with real differences between the two lines - S2 and S5. Looking at straight comparison up on web I don't see significant differences in the unit itself. For e.g. http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/vacoverview.html For the most part it looks like main difference is in the bundled attachments, such as, power head, brush. Motor is the same, suction & air-flow supposedly is similar. Does it mean that if you throw higher end power head, floor brush that is bundled with Callisto over to a Delphi then Delphi becomes pretty much similar to Callisto ignoring cosmetics such as ergo handle etc.?
Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Miele S2 vs S5
Reply #25   Oct 12, 2010 4:06 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
I could be wrong but I think we are discussing 2 different things. A "Sealed System" I believe refers to the total area from air intake to exhaust that is sealed by gaskets so that no exhaust can leak from any part of the vacuum before the final exhaust port. A "Sealed Suction System" refers to the ability to create an efficient "air vacuum".

I agree with you and therein is the confusion among vacuum users and customers.  A sealed system and sealed suction system are mutually inclusive in that the better the former the better the latter [all things being equal, which of course they never are].  Which is the key point IMHO of the quote that vacmanuk posted.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 12, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #26   Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I agree with you and therein is the confusion among vacuum users and customers.  A sealed system and sealed suction system are mutually inclusive in that the better the former the better the latter [all things being equal, which of course they never are].  Which is the key point IMHO of the quote that vacmanuk posted.

Carmine D.

Precisely Carmine, thank you. Which brings me back to the original theory behind the S2 and S5. ALL Miele vacuums have been tested and fitted with sealed suction units. The S2 is no different. Having just bought a new S4212 recently I'm also happy to report that it has a sealed suction unit, sealed motor and also additionally this one I have is made in Germany - my old S4210 was made in China - and I can't really tell a difference where the build quality is concerned. Still pretty much premium and generally excellent.
CarmineD

Reply #27   Oct 13, 2010 4:12 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Precisely Carmine, thank you. Which brings me back to the original theory behind the S2 and S5. ALL Miele vacuums have been tested and fitted with sealed suction units. The S2 is no different. Having just bought a new S4212 recently I'm also happy to report that it has a sealed suction unit, sealed motor and also additionally this one I have is made in Germany - my old S4210 was made in China - and I can't really tell a difference where the build quality is concerned. Still pretty much premium and generally excellent.

Thank you, Vacmanuk.  You researched and posted the info with the synopsis.  I just agreed.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #28   Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you, Vacmanuk.  You researched and posted the info with the synopsis.  I just agreed.

Carmine D.

I've got no gripes over quality but it appears the bloom fell quickly off the rose as far as the paint job on my Capricorn goes.  A picayune point I admit but I'd think more care would have been taken with the finish considering the cost of the machine.  The charcoal grey machine base, colored all the way through, looks great but the "silver" cover and matching parts looks kind of ratty.I don't know the proper term but I would have preferred material colored all the way through to lessen the appearanc of small scratches and scuffs. 

Generally, all the attachments just need a wipe with a damp cloth to keep the spiffy look.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #29   Oct 14, 2010 10:27 am
Venson wrote:
I've got no gripes over quality but it appears the bloom fell quickly off the rose as far as the paint job on my Capricorn goes.  A picayune point I admit but I'd think more care would have been taken with the finish considering the cost of the machine.  The charcoal grey machine base, colored all the way through, looks great but the "silver" cover and matching parts looks kind of ratty.I don't know the proper term but I would have preferred material colored all the way through to lessen the appearanc of small scratches and scuffs. 

Generally, all the attachments just need a wipe with a damp cloth to keep the spiffy look.

Venson

Its the same with my old S4210 and infact the whole S4 range that has silver paint. The pedals get scratched fairly easily and silver paint flecks come off easily. It's hard not to be "abusive" with a vacuum cleaner though, Venson. Unless you wrap it in clear PVC plastic to keep it looking new or you're a collector where the machine only comes out of the bag periodically for photographs. Still, I take your point since my own experience of the silver paint comes off all too easily. Even my S5 handle has silver paint that has come off.

However, I've only just began to look into Miele's claim of supposedly better design through my Which membership and discovered that the Miele S7 has quite a few faults with its handle from a lot of disgruntled owners.
Venson

Reply #30   Oct 14, 2010 2:42 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Its the same with my old S4210 and infact the whole S4 range that has silver paint. The pedals get scratched fairly easily and silver paint flecks come off easily. It's hard not to be "abusive" with a vacuum cleaner though, Venson. Unless you wrap it in clear PVC plastic to keep it looking new or you're a collector where the machine only comes out of the bag periodically for photographs. Still, I take your point since my own experience of the silver paint comes off all too easily. Even my S5 handle has silver paint that has come off.

However, I've only just began to look into Miele's claim of supposedly better design through my Which membership and discovered that the Miele S7 has quite a few faults with its handle from a lot of disgruntled owners.

Hi vacmanuk,

I am not saying that I expect a vacuum to look exactly the way it it did the day I took iyt out of the box forever.  Hpwever, I have seen and even own vacuums that are 40 years or older that, even with a few dings, have maintained more eye appeal than my two year old Capricorn. With reasonable care, just for the sake of the aesthetics that may have helped me choose thing -- especially at high price -- I'd also like to see some proof of external quality like a finish that can endure a few bangs and scuffs.  I want this the same as I want body components that are resisteantt to breakage, I want to to walk to the closet and feel a little pleased by way of my purchase's appearance.

There are finishes or materials that can help promote that but Miele apparently chose not to bother though nothing was overlooked when time came to decide on what to put on the price tag.  Saving a few bucks by painting some body components when you use color infused material elsewhere is merely nickel-and-diming.  And the even greater insult is when you see machines that cost far less doing the opposite.  If it can be done for two hundred buck machines it would seem like cinch for a vacuum they ask as much as $1,200 for.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #31   Oct 14, 2010 4:16 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

I am not saying that I expect a vacuum to look exactly the way it it did the day I took iyt out of the box forever.  Hpwever, I have seen and even own vacuums that are 40 years or older that, even with a few dings, have maintained more eye appeal than my two year old Capricorn. With reasonable care, just for the sake of the aesthetics that may have helped me choose thing -- especially at high price -- I'd also like to see some proof of external quality like a finish that can endure a few bangs and scuffs.  I want this the same as I want body components that are resisteantt to breakage, I want to to walk to the closet and feel a little pleased by way of my purchase's appearance.

There are finishes or materials that can help promote that but Miele apparently chose not to bother though nothing was overlooked when time came to decide on what to put on the price tag.  Saving a few bucks by painting some body components when you use color infused material elsewhere is merely nickel-and-diming.  And the even greater insult is when you see machines that cost far less doing the opposite.  If it can be done for two hundred buck machines it would seem like cinch for a vacuum they ask as much as $1,200 for.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Not a picayune issue atb all.  Not for a $1200 MIELE vacuum.  MIELE needs to do better on the paint finish on its Capricorn if it's ratty looking after 2 years of usage.  MIELE's claim to fame is IMMER BESSER.  Not just two words.  It's a commitment to excellence.  Excellence means as good as if not better the best.   Paint finish, aka appearance, qualifies for a feature of excellence and it should be intact [read original looking] after 2 years.  Not chipped and marred. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #32   Oct 14, 2010 7:36 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Venson

The same could be said for many brands though Venson. I guess it's really what your own expectations are as a buyer. The SEBO K series is a good case in point. SEBO have already contacted me about the issue of the look of the machine in question and they will openly admit that it isn't the best looking. Even when it came to designing their D series they have no intention of putting any silver on their machines as its a known paint that comes off during use. I guess its courses for horses where looks and materials are concerned. Can't have everything.
vacomatic

Reply #33   Dec 2, 2010 12:41 am
The s2 appears to lack the dust chamber edge sealing that the s5 offers, among other things.

Also, as an aside, it seems the HYCLEAN bags have fixed the S5's previous problem of dust leaking through its bags and clogging its HEPA filter, the main reason I've stuck with the Blue Moon for awhile.
Have to admit the S5 maneuvers  better than the Blue Moon, though.
vacmanuk

Reply #34   Dec 2, 2010 8:41 am
vacomatic wrote:
The s2 appears to lack the dust chamber edge sealing that the s5 offers, among other things.

Also, as an aside, it seems the HYCLEAN bags have fixed the S5's previous problem of dust leaking through its bags and clogging its HEPA filter, the main reason I've stuck with the Blue Moon for awhile.
Have to admit the S5 maneuvers  better than the Blue Moon, though.

Probably true but what about the inner side of the lid on the top where the hose mount is located? The seals may have been put up there that close down onto the bag once the lid is locked down.

The Hyclean bags have been improved - this was already identified in an earlier post where some U.S places are getting "Airclean" bags rather than "HyClean" and in the UK Miele haven't bothered to change the name , only getting rid of the central inner ribbons that pushed dust out past the seal hole.
Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42