Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Electrolux "Thrift" vac

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Electrolux "Thrift" vac
Original Message   Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm
I just got a super rare Lux vacuum.  It looks like a Lux AE & Bee-Vac.  Does anyone know how old & rare this vac is?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Electrolux "Thrift" vac
Reply #4   Aug 14, 2010 6:05 pm
hooverman wrote:
& one more pic.  My Lux collection keeps growing year after year; the Electrolux aliens have invaded my neighborhood!

I wouldn't touch a Guardian or Renny, even with a 100ft pole (approx. 1000? Lux wands connected together)

Excuse me, but this picture is from Charlie Lester's website and is not to be posted elsewhere without his permission.  You should not be posting these without his permission or also posting without stating that they are presented by courtesy of him.  See the following link:

http://www.137.com/thrift/

Venson

procare

Reply #5   Aug 15, 2010 1:54 am
                                       My Father and I came across one similar to this in a grey body like the Model XXX and it was a Model XX  circa 1946-8 and made in Canada . The T Model was probably the equivalant to the S model that we sold in the U.S. as a drop down model around the time of the E and then AE.  The S  tho used paper bags like the LX on used. Electrolux doesn't show these machines in their history pictures .  These were stripped down models with no place for cord reels or cord rings. The other model here in the U.S. you don't hear much about is the Special Model that sold as a drop down model after the L. It  had the body like the 1205 and was non automatic. Very good cleaner.Built from 1980-about 1985.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #6   Aug 15, 2010 7:25 am
procare wrote:
                                       My Father and I came across one similar to this in a grey body like the Model XXX and it was a Model XX  circa 1946-8 and made in Canada . The T Model was probably the equivalant to the S model that we sold in the U.S. as a drop down model around the time of the E and then AE.  The S  tho used paper bags like the LX on used. Electrolux doesn't show these machines in their history pictures .  These were stripped down models with no place for cord reels or cord rings. The other model here in the U.S. you don't hear much about is the Special Model that sold as a drop down model after the L. It  had the body like the 1205 and was non automatic. Very good cleaner.Built from 1980-about 1985.

Procare

Hi Procare:

I suspect the gray combo tools illustrated witht the model T's are actually from the Canadian Lux model 20.  The original como tools for the T would have been Lux hammertone blue, I think.  But going back that far, memory is not as good.  In my professional career I probably saw a two/three of each: Lux XX and Model T come into my store in over 40 plus years.  Lux sellers probably used them as a bait and switch vacuum just as many makers/sellers did during the recessionary times. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #7   Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am
hooverman wrote:
Here's a picture of the rare Lux.  WHAT A JOY!

Your ModelT needs a new cord, Dont plug it in the way it is.Is the hose pouros?
Is the rubber O ring still on the bag ring? Is there a front castor wheel on this machine or just the slider?

Watch out for the handle grip they are sometimes brittle

Looks like a stove pipe with a motor in it.Its worth whatever someone will pay for it.
Venson

Reply #8   Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am
mole wrote:

. . . Looks like a stove pipe with a motor in it.Its worth whatever someone will pay for it.

But Mole, it's an Electrolux! 

Unfortunately, many names in industry viewed as illustrious have offered low-end product bearing their brands for the sake of raking in a dollar more.

No wonder I used to like Filter Queens so much.  A new model every few years and eventually an economy model -- but just one and price less due to materials.  I don't mind so much when an "economy" model will allow you a few bucks less 'cause they left off a headlight, or some chrome but when it bears no integral similarity to the top-of-the-line that's purported to be an ultimate item, why bother. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #9   Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm
mole wrote:
Your ModelT needs a new cord, Dont plug it in the way it is.Is the hose pouros?
Is the rubber O ring still on the bag ring? Is there a front castor wheel on this machine or just the slider?

Watch out for the handle grip they are sometimes brittle

Looks like a stove pipe with a motor in it.Its worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Hello MOLE:

You hit on all the problem points.  Possibly a previous owner washed the cloth bag with laundry detergent too degrading its effectiveness.  Didn't come with a front wheel just a slide.

Carmine D.

PS: There may also be a pre-motor filter that is postioned behind the cloth bag that may need replacing.  I don't think there was a post motor filter like the Lux 30.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 15, 2010 by CarmineD
procare

Reply #10   Aug 15, 2010 5:57 pm
Carmine ,

To tell about what year it came out look at the color and the lettering on the cleaner. The Model 20 had the bag straight up and down like the thrift model , was on runners and had grey body (r0ugh) like XXX's and Red letters.

The time period for the T (thrift ) is  that of the model E. Look where the front swivel wheel would be and you see the similarity to the E and later AE. The model E was from 1954- 1956. With T (thrift)out for one year1955-56 as a drop down before the AE came out in 1956-1957. Ther madel S came out in 1957-1960 , followed  by the R 1960-1966, AF came out from 1957-1961, model G came out in 1961-1968 with the model Las the drop down 1963-1979. The first L out was White with green lettering. The Aerus sight does have this put down wrong as 1966 for the first L. My father sold the first one in Indiana in spring of 1963.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #11   Aug 16, 2010 7:27 am
procare wrote:
Carmine ,

To tell about what year it came out look at the color and the lettering on the cleaner. The Model 20 had the bag straight up and down like the thrift model , was on runners and had grey body (r0ugh) like XXX's and Red letters.

The time period for the T (thrift ) is  that of the model E. Look where the front swivel wheel would be and you see the similarity to the E and later AE. The model E was from 1954- 1956. With T (thrift)out for one year1955-56 as a drop down before the AE came out in 1956-1957. Ther madel S came out in 1957-1960 , followed  by the R 1960-1966, AF came out from 1957-1961, model G came out in 1961-1968 with the model Las the drop down 1963-1979. The first L out was White with green lettering. The Aerus sight does have this put down wrong as 1966 for the first L. My father sold the first one in Indiana in spring of 1963.

Procare

Thanks for the info Procare and reminiscing about the good ole days.

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #12   Aug 16, 2010 11:52 pm
procare wrote:
 The other model here in the U.S. you don't hear much about is the Special Model that sold as a drop down model after the L. It  had the body like the 1205 and was non automatic. Very good cleaner.Built from 1980-about 1985.

Procare

And it had a different handle, plus no automatic cord rewind.
This message was modified Aug 16, 2010 by Mike_W
procare

Reply #13   Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm
Mike W.,

Special Model did have a cord reel available. It was a T trade item. Meant we could sell them for $50 or use it to get their trade.

Procare

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42