Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tbstbs

Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?
Original Message   Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am
I have been reading the various forums here this morning and they are so helpful.

I know what I don't want, so now I am having difficulty deciding between what appear to be 2 very good machines.

After pushing several of the previously mentioned machines around in the store, I might have a slight prefernce for the Riccar.  I like the fact that it won't need belts, and will turn off when I accidently suck up something I shouldn't.  I also prefer the hand held vac that comes with the Riccar, but I think that may be mostly cosmetic.

I believe I would choose the Pilot over the Gold, but I did not consider or really know about  the Edge I see talked about on here.  When it comes to the Oreck, it is hard to overlook the great 6 or 10+ year service plan, not to mention the 30 day money back guarantee.

Now, I am just going around and around in circles.

Does anyone here have some information that might help me move on?

Replies: 6 - 15 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?
Reply #6   Aug 12, 2010 6:08 pm
tbstbs wrote:
Thank you Carmine.

I noticed the prices on the web site are cheaper than the ones quoted to me in the store.  I copied those pages and assumed that the store would meet those prices.  I  haven't been back to the store yet to see.  That would make the difference to me, I think.

I see that you are a big Oreck fan.  I enjoyed reading your posts.  Have you checked out the Riccars and compared them to the Oreck?

Can I get a machine that does a good job and still be light?

At this time I just want to be sure I get the best machine for my money.  The Oreck is going to cost less.

I understand the same ORECK sales/savings are applicable at all the ORECK stores thru 8/15/10.

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #7   Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm
I think most vacuum experts would agree that Riccar is superior quality to Oreck.... I'd go with the Riccar unless the Oreck just has some stand out features that you can't live without.  I'd think a metal brushroll would make the machine push easier than a wooden one.... especially if it is coupled with a metal instead of plastic sole plate.   No matter how they push in the store, they are going to behave differently in your home, on your carpet, so I think the best thing would be to see if you could do a trial with both machines at home and see which one better suits you.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Aug 13, 2010 4:58 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I think most vacuum experts would agree that Riccar is superior quality to Oreck.... I'd go with the Riccar unless the Oreck just has some stand out features that you can't live without.  I'd think a metal brushroll would make the machine push easier than a wooden one.... especially if it is coupled with a metal instead of plastic sole plate.   No matter how they push in the store, they are going to behave differently in your home, on your carpet, so I think the best thing would be to see if you could do a trial with both machines at home and see which one better suits you.

I currently know personally several former long time RICCAR employees who now work for ORECK who would disagree with your statement.  They have made careers in the vacuum industry and are for all intents and purposes experts in their respective fields.  On rugs, I would give the nod to RICCAR over ORECK for performance by a tad bit.  Quality of one brand over the other...very close to judge.  Value?  The facts speak for themselves.  In the final analysis, peoples' personal preferences probably dictate their likes and dislikes for both and their purchase decisions.

One concern with the Pilot that I have is the affect of the weighted bag on the pivoting and handling.  Of course empty it is a breeze and nifty.  As the bag fills and becomes heavy, especially the ORECK size bag, I opine the swivel and pivotiong feature gets impeded.  Don't know this for sure yet but it is a concern I would voice to buyers who are interested in the Pilot.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 13, 2010 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #9   Aug 13, 2010 10:41 am
Carmine, there may be people you know who disagree with that, but I still say the majority of vacuum experts would choose Riccar over Oreck any day.  Maybe we should do a nationwide poll  :o) 
CarmineD

Reply #10   Aug 13, 2010 12:45 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Carmine, there may be people you know who disagree with that, but I still say the majority of vacuum experts would choose Riccar over Oreck any day.  Maybe we should do a nationwide poll  :o) 

Are these the same experts.

Vacuumfreeeke wrote:

The vac shops in a my area are awful.... they are old rednecks that are rude to gay people and they don't even what to talk to you unless you want to buy a new Riccar from them.... totally awful.  I had the same experience with sewing machine dealers when I wanted to get a sewing machine for myself and I contacted at least 10 dealers.... they were ALL nasty to me, so Amazon got 500 dollars of my money, the local economy didn't seem to want it!    I've tried to strike up conversations with some of the vac shop people because I'm a collector and I know more about vacuums than the average consumer, they were only interested in trying to extract as much money from me as possible! 

If one researches Consumer Reports latest edition March 2010 ORECK XL Platinum meets the 60 score cutoff for ups with RICCAR RSL3 scoring 66.  On the reliability scores for both ORECK and RICCAR, ORECK beats RICCAR but within the survey margin of error at 9 percent for ORECK versus 11 percent repair rate for RICCAR.  Very close on all CR accounts.  CR should be updating its vacuum test scores and results in October.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #11   Aug 13, 2010 2:50 pm
tbstbs....I will first say I am a Simplicity Dealer (Riccar and Simplicity are basically the same). I have to say that this company is the very best at customer service of ANY that I have dealt with. It may not seem like much when your vacuum is working but if you need attention later.... I really like the lightweight series. If you don't want the metal roller get the 2 speed model below the one you are looking at. (you won't get the auto shut off though) -As for Oreck and it's pricing, be careful. Some dealers will not service or warrantee an Oreck bought from a Discounter, Box Store or Online. -My experience is the Oreck Belt needs to be replaced every 6-8 months to be at maximum efficiency. -They are hard to push on Thick Carpeting -When bringing in your Oreck for one of those "Free Tune-ups" Be prepared to be sold a newer model or at least a sales pitch to do so. This is only my opinion for what it's worth.
tbstbs

Reply #12   Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm
Thanks everyone!

Well, we had a storm yesterday that knocked out my cable, phone, and internet.  That was probably a good thing because I would have spent the last many many hours reading one review after the other.  I had also found the You Tube videos!

So, I was on my own!

I decided that it made good sense to give the Pilot a try since they met the lower price, worked with me on the canister, and I can return it if I am disappointed.  I should know that for certain in 30 days.  The swivel feature is nice, but the bag is empty...and they are pricey!   The sales person was also very personable while the Riccar fellow got a little snarky with some other customers while I was there.  Not with me of course, because I am very charming.  As far as pushing it along, I let it go for a second and it rolled away from me.  Expect that won't happen when the bag is heavier.

After a short trial here, I am very pleased.  It is like buying a new car though.  Of course it is far superior to the rattle traps I have been lugging around for the last 5 years or so.  I am so happy that I could pick up the new vacuum and do my stairs with it.  It has been a long time since my stairs got a good cleaning.

Interestingly enough, the recs I got from friends and acquaintances were for either the Oreck or the Riccar.  There were a few Dyson recs, but I made up my mind that I wanted a lightweight, so I could eliminate the Dyson. 

That is my story so far.

I do sincerely thank you all.  I read here for quite a bit before I wrote in, and the information here really did help me a lot.

If it falls apart right away...I'll be back.  Insert smiley face.....

TBS

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Aug 13, 2010 7:33 pm
tbstbs wrote:
Thanks everyone!

The swivel feature is nice, but the bag is empty...and they are pricey!   The sales person was also very personable while the Riccar fellow got a little snarky with some other customers while I was there.  Not with me of course, because I am very charming.  As far as pushing it along, I let it go for a second and it rolled away from me.  Expect that won't happen when the bag is heavier.

After a short trial here, I am very pleased.  It is like buying a new car though.  Of course it is far superior to the rattle traps I have been lugging around for the last 5 years or so.  I am so happy that I could pick up the new vacuum and do my stairs with it.  It has been a long time since my stairs got a good cleaning.

Interestingly enough, the recs I got from friends and acquaintances were for either the Oreck or the Riccar.  There were a few Dyson recs, but I made up my mind that I wanted a lightweight, so I could eliminate the Dyson. 

That is my story so far.

I do sincerely thank you all.  I read here for quite a bit before I wrote in, and the information here really did help me a lot.

TBS

If it is typical Oreck you will not have to worry about the bag weight.  Takes a long time for an Oreck to suck up enough dirt to add weight.  They do not deep clean so you will only be removing surface dust.

CarmineD

Reply #14   Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm
tbstbs wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Well, we had a storm yesterday that knocked out my cable, phone, and internet.  That was probably a good thing because I would have spent the last many many hours reading one review after the other.  I had also found the You Tube videos!

So, I was on my own!

I decided that it made good sense to give the Pilot a try since they met the lower price, worked with me on the canister, and I can return it if I am disappointed.  I should know that for certain in 30 days.  The swivel feature is nice, but the bag is empty...and they are pricey!   The sales person was also very personable while the Riccar fellow got a little snarky with some other customers while I was there.  Not with me of course, because I am very charming.  As far as pushing it along, I let it go for a second and it rolled away from me.  Expect that won't happen when the bag is heavier.

That is my story so far.

TBS

No other vacuum maker except ORECK allows customers a free 30 day in-home trial with no obligations and willingly takes back their vacuums with no questions asked if the customer is not completely satisfied.  None except ORECK.  For over 45 years ORECK has made this promise.  Sure, many big box stores take back vacuums with stipulations/conditions within 30-60-90 days.  Some, like COSTCO, even allow customers longer than 90 days.  Good for the retailers like COSTCO who do.  More power to them.  Speaks volumes about ORECK, its products and its customer service guarantee.

Congrats on your new ORECK purchases and please keep us posted.

Carmine D.

tbstbs

Reply #15   Aug 14, 2010 7:58 am
If it is typical Oreck you will not have to worry about the bag weight.  Takes a long time for an Oreck to suck up enough dirt to add weight.  They do not deep clean so you will only be removing surface dust.

LOL

We shall see.  In the meantime, I still have a couple of powerful but difficult to use machines around here that I can use for a deeper clean.  If necessary.

It was nice for my vacuuming to be more of an activity than a awful chore.  The swivel feature turns out to be a real asset.  I loved swooping around a corner with the flick of my wrist.  Today I will break out the canister and clean some plantation blinds that I am embarassed about.  You know what?  Isn't it better to USE a vac that does a pretty good job than to have one that deep cleans, but rarely gets out of the closet because I hate to use it? 

I know a couple of clean freaks that have issues with pet hair.  One swears by her Oreck and the other her Riccar.

Hurray for me that I have 30 days to decide for myself.

Replies: 6 - 15 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42