Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tbstbs

Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?
Original Message   Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am
I have been reading the various forums here this morning and they are so helpful.

I know what I don't want, so now I am having difficulty deciding between what appear to be 2 very good machines.

After pushing several of the previously mentioned machines around in the store, I might have a slight prefernce for the Riccar.  I like the fact that it won't need belts, and will turn off when I accidently suck up something I shouldn't.  I also prefer the hand held vac that comes with the Riccar, but I think that may be mostly cosmetic.

I believe I would choose the Pilot over the Gold, but I did not consider or really know about  the Edge I see talked about on here.  When it comes to the Oreck, it is hard to overlook the great 6 or 10+ year service plan, not to mention the 30 day money back guarantee.

Now, I am just going around and around in circles.

Does anyone here have some information that might help me move on?

Replies: 19 - 28 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Riccar RSL 5 @ $650 or Oreck Pilot @ $599 ?
Reply #19   Aug 14, 2010 5:14 pm
Actionvac wrote:
I sell the Riccar sO Im biased but give a money back guarantee an they certainly are the most powerfull lightweight

Question:  After 30 days in home trial use?

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #20   Aug 14, 2010 10:29 pm
Tbs, I am glad you made a decision and I hope it works out well for you.

Carmine, I hardly think the few dealers in my area make up the majority of dealers in the world.... not to mention many people don't fully trust or agree with Consumer Reports.
CarmineD

Reply #21   Aug 15, 2010 7:19 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Tbs, I am glad you made a decision and I hope it works out well for you.

Carmine, I hardly think the few dealers in my area make up the majority of dealers in the world.... not to mention many people don't fully trust or agree with Consumer Reports.

How true.  Nice to hear you say so.  TBS reads CR and purchased a EUREKA based on it with some regrets in hindsight.  CR is a guide not the gospel.  Experts in the industry are the best and final say.  Shoppers should use CR as a starting point not the ending place.

Carmine D.

tbstbs

Reply #22   Aug 15, 2010 9:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
How true.  Nice to hear you say so.  TBS reads CR and purchased a EUREKA based on it with some regrets in hindsight.  CR is a guide not the gospel.  Experts in the industry are the best and final say.  Shoppers should use CR as a starting point not the ending place.

Carmine D.

I was trying to be PC when I spoke about CR and my Eureka Boss.  It is without a doubt a piece of carp.  While it still has powerful suction, it has been a giant pain to operate and has other durability issues.  When I had to pull out the duct tape last week, I knew it was time to save myself.  My son is pretty excited that he can take it off to college with him.  Good riddance!  The vac, not my son.

This is not the first time I went with a CR recommendation and regretted it.

I almost renewed my subscription, but I found you guys instead.

Venson

Reply #23   Aug 15, 2010 10:27 am
tbstbs wrote:
I was trying to be PC when I spoke about CR and my Eureka Boss.  It is without a doubt a piece of carp.  While it still has powerful suction, it has been a giant pain to operate and has other durability issues.  When I had to pull out the duct tape last week, I knew it was time to save myself.  My son is pretty excited that he can take it off to college with him.  Good riddance!  The vac, not my son.

This is not the first time I went with a CR recommendation and regretted it.

I almost renewed my subscription, but I found you guys instead.

I agree that CR best serves as a tool , not a Bible.  However, the same organization rated your new Pilot. as "very good" on carpet and for pet hair, "excellent" in regard to bare floor cleaning and emissions and also "excellent" for handling.  Are they off the mark now?

The Boss is rated as"fair" for handling.  I don't blame that on CR.  Maybe you missed the fine print stating that -- Overall, this is a very good upright vacuum that excelled at cleaning bare floors and picking up pet hair. It was also excellent at keeping its emissions low. It was fairly hard to handle.

Venson

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #24   Aug 15, 2010 11:00 am
Are we talking about the Boss Smart Vac?  I know that CR rated them highly along with the S/P WindTunnel.  I have both, and much prefer the WindTunnel.  Having sold both for Sears back in 2002, I know well of the durability issues with the Eureka.  The Hoover is an overall better machine, except for the hose fighting and the machine falling over when the hose is used....  Since I am a collector (I tend to prefer modern vacs though, lately my 60 dollar Kirby Sentria and my Dyson DC 14 have been the daily drivers), I baby my machines, so I hope not to have any issues with the Eureka. 
tbstbs

Reply #25   Aug 15, 2010 11:23 am
Yes, the Boss Smart Vac is the one I am referring to.  Even my 6'3" husband finds it hard to handle.  I don't remember what CR said in terms of management. At any rate, at the time I was wanting another vac so that I did not have to haul my Windtunnel up and down the stairs.  I was fairly used to a heavy vac, so it didn't seem to be a huge issue at the time.  The first problem that came up right away, was that the hose would not stay in it's cradle and would flop around when I vacuumed.  What was a good advantage when using the attachments, turned out to be a problem when not in use.  For awhile I tried to duct tape it and later used velcro to keep it in place.  That didn't work too well and I eventually learned to anchor it around the extenders on the side of the vac.  Then the release petel stopped working right and I had to kick it back in to hold the vac upright...I could go on....

I will send the Boss packing and keep the older Hoover.

I am not out to disrespect CR in general...just saying I have been disappointed.

The next time they send me a "we want you back" email...I might reconsider.  If it is really cheap.

tbstbs

Reply #26   Aug 15, 2010 11:24 am
petal....Is there a spell check on here?
Venson

Reply #27   Aug 15, 2010 11:45 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Are we talking about the Boss Smart Vac?  I know that CR rated them highly along with the S/P WindTunnel.  I have both, and much prefer the WindTunnel.  Having sold both for Sears back in 2002, I know well of the durability issues with the Eureka.  The Hoover is an overall better machine, except for the hose fighting and the machine falling over when the hose is used....  Since I am a collector (I tend to prefer modern vacs though, lately my 60 dollar Kirby Sentria and my Dyson DC 14 have been the daily drivers), I baby my machines, so I hope not to have any issues with the Eureka. 

Hi VF,

Sometimes it the machine and sometimes its the user.  Most of the repair people have stories about bad machinery AND dumb users.

I have owned some of what I thought were the sturdiest vacuums known to man.  I gifted one, a well cared fro, almost new Filter Queen to a cousin and it was a shambles in less than six months. Looked liked she'd taken u Sumo wrestling.

Also I gifted a Kenmore can, not touted by many as durable, to a friend and now, some time later, he's still happy with it and it is doing well.  Note, I am not speaking of a person who particularly pays a lot of attention to his vacuum.  Prior, he'd owned only a Eureka Mighty Mite for ten years that carried him through a large loft space and two apartments before it had to be replaced. I on the other hand, no matter how careful I thought I was being, managed to snag and break the locking clip on a Kenmore can hose at least two or three times.

The Boss for its price should prove a decent enough machine but for its price -- $170 approx. -- I wouldn't get all het up about sturdiness.  Times have changed but . . .  you shouldn't have to baby a vacuum cleaner but you also should not abandon common sense regarding its handling and use.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #28   Aug 15, 2010 1:41 pm
tbstbs wrote:
petal....Is there a spell check on here?

Yes....pedal. 

Carmine D.

PS: The technical industry term is "handle release."

This message was modified Aug 15, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 19 - 28 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42