Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Something new from Dyson . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Something new from Dyson . . .
Original Message   Jul 31, 2010 5:54 am

Well vacmanuk we've been aced.  It  looks like you'll have to ditch the new Sebo and I my Mieles. Carmine, toss out the Oreck.  It's just not small enough.  What were we thinking? Jimmy D has done it again.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Around+House/3344559/story.html

Canada's announcing the Dyson DC 26 "City".  How clever!  Sorry but you farmers out there can't have one too.  We city slickers can't use "giant" vacuum cleaners like those in rural and suburban parts of the nation so this press release says.

http://www.dyson.com/environment/

Is it new/ Is it original? Is it environmental. I'd say not but it's is slightly cheaper.

Venson

This message was modified Jul 31, 2010 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
M00seUK

Re: Something new from Dyson . . .
Reply #1   Jul 31, 2010 7:09 am
I can't quite understand the point of the DC26. It's impressive to see the size they've managed to shrink it down to, but that rigid hose and wand seems to remove a lot of the benefits of size. The models with the wrap-around hose and extendable wand appear a better proposition - perhaps not as easy to use, but if you've got a relatively small dirt bin, you're not going to be using it for long??
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 31, 2010 7:26 am
Now we know with certainty the kind of engineers dyson employs: Marketing engineers.  Nothing changes except the spin.  Same as a straight suction nozzle DC22, called by a new name, and price drop of $200.  Figures.  Japanese customers where the original baby dyson was launched are known for paying premium.  DC22 has run its course there.  Pick up and sell in Canada with some marketing twists. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #3   Jul 31, 2010 8:14 am
Venson wrote:

Well vacmanuk we've been aced.  It  looks like you'll have to ditch the new Sebo and I my Mieles. Carmine, toss out the Oreck.  It's just not small enough.  What were we thinking? Jimmy D has done it again.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Around+House/3344559/story.html

Canada's announcing the Dyson DC 26 "City".  How clever!  Sorry but you farmers out there can't have one too.  We city slickers can't use "giant" vacuum cleaners like those in rural and suburban parts of the nation so this press release says.

http://www.dyson.com/environment/

Is it new/ Is it original? Is it environmental. I'd say not but it's is slightly cheaper.

Venson

Its not exactly original. Dyson are just trying to pull in buyers after compact cylinder vacuums, a fact when most of them are either bagless/fabric filter type or bagged with minimal but similar dust capacity and also offering something a bit larger than their cordless hand held. I think a Baby model was definately on the cards for a very long time. The DC26 has been on the market for some time. I rather like the idea of it as it would be handy for holiday homes or short term lets in small homes. Sadly for me though I'll keep my Miele S4212 and Sebo K1. The basic K1 is 5.5kg and is thus only a little heavier than the DC26. It is however far more practical and great as a vacuum for cleaning out the car. Also the Miele S4212 is compact, powerful and by the looks of Dyson's most impractical thick pipe, both Miele and Sebo have thinner hoses and handles for more flexible use.
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 31, 2010 8:32 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Its not exactly original. Dyson are just trying to pull in buyers after compact cylinder vacuums, a fact when most of them are either bagless/fabric filter type or bagged with minimal but similar dust capacity and also offering something a bit larger than their cordless hand held. I think a Baby model was definately on the cards for a very long time. The DC26 has been on the market for some time. I rather like the idea of it as it would be handy for holiday homes or short term lets in small homes. Sadly for me though I'll keep my Miele S4212 and Sebo K1. The basic K1 is 5.5kg and is thus only a little heavier than the DC26. It is however far more practical and great as a vacuum for cleaning out the car. Also the Miele S4212 is compact, powerful and by the looks of Dyson's most impractical thick pipe, both Miele and Sebo have thinner hoses and handles for more flexible use.

Yes, in Japan and UK.  The DC26 in these markets, like the Canada market, do not use the hose wrap around the vacuum feature like DC22 and DC23.  DC26 is just too tiny for such and more conducive to the DDM application than DC22 with DDM, hence perhaps the discontinuation of DC22..................????  {My Opinion}.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #5   Jul 31, 2010 8:48 am
Freespace Evo vacuum cleanersFreespace Evo vacuum cleanersFreespace Evo vacuum cleanersFreespace Evo vacuum cleaners

Well it hasn't stopped Hoover from doing a Dyson copy of similar hose storing. This is the latest from Hoover UK under their Freespace range, called the "Freespace Evo." Their Freespace range is a line of compact cylinder vacuums (their bagless ones are awful) and weigh 5.7 kg on average with 2.3 litre dust capacity bags.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jul 31, 2010 9:13 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Well it hasn't stopped Hoover from doing a Dyson copy of similar hose storing. This is the latest from Hoover UK under their Freespace range, called the "Freespace Evo." Their Freespace range is a line of compact cylinder vacuums (their bagless ones are awful) and weigh 5.7 kg on average with 2.3 litre dust capacity bags.

Eureka did it back in the 60's with its O style cann using a wrap that was concealed in a round sandwich like vacuum design  HOOVER used a similar feature around the same time hidden with its portable line of canisters where the hose wrapped inside a boxed design.  As our illustrious Moderator likes to say: What's old is new again. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #7   Jul 31, 2010 2:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Now we know with certainty the kind of engineers dyson employs: Marketing engineers.  Nothing changes except the spin.  Same as a straight suction nozzle DC22, called by a new name, and price drop of $200.  Figures.  Japanese customers where the original baby dyson was launched are known for paying premium.  DC22 has run its course there.  Pick up and sell in Canada with some marketing twists. 

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine, you got my drift.  If I used the term "original" it was purely for irony's sake.  By the way, I feel the hose wrap idea can't work on this model because the vacuum's just too small..  I also think the public is being cheated for the the 500 bucks Canadian as what is offered with this cleaner is the "flat out"  nozzle (now a $50.00 option for other Dysons) witn no brush mechanism for serious bare floor cleaning but  just velcro fitted on for rugs and bare floors.

I'm glad the space-challenged Japanese had the kind of disposable income to go after the mini-vac.  Dyson should follow that old Jello advertising campaign -- "Just when you think there isn't room for one thing more . . ."  you can still fit a Dyson in your closet.

Venson

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #8   Aug 17, 2010 1:36 pm
Well, it looks like Dyson just launched the DC23 Animal in the US. It's basically a DC23 Turbinehead with a turbo tool, purple plastic, and a $100 price bump. My first thought, "Are they serious?!" http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC23-ANIMALUS
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42