Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Digital Slim

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Digital Slim
Original Message   Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by M00seUK
Replies: 47 - 56 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Dyson Digital Slim
Reply #47   Oct 27, 2010 7:29 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Always good to have the numbers for evaluation purposes. Here are the runtime figures from Dyson for the DC35:-

• 15 minutes on high power (28 aw - constant)

• 13 minutes when using the motorised brushbar (1,400 RPM)

• 6 minutes when using max power mode (65 aw - constant)

That all sounds reasonable for the small to mid-sized house this type of cleaner would be marketed towards.

Excellent performance but how is it judged? Picking little dirt up on hard floors or a lot? Surely if a carpet has a lot of surface dirt, then performance may struggle. Its all very well if its mains powered but since its cordless is there a secondary motor that is independently running the brush bar? Otherwise if its picking up a lot of dirt, then surely the power is going to run down by the amount of dirt the brush bar has to cope with picking up?
CarmineD

Reply #48   Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Always good to have the numbers for evaluation purposes. Here are the runtime figures from Dyson for the DC35:-

• 15 minutes on high power (28 aw - constant)

• 13 minutes when using the motorised brushbar (1,400 RPM)

• 6 minutes when using max power mode (65 aw - constant)

That all sounds reasonable for the small to mid-sized house this type of cleaner would be marketed towards.

These numbers give only a partial time differential.  This provides the diminished battery run time with the brush roll engaged with 28 AW of power.  Loss of 2 minutes.  The missing piece of information is the battery run time with 65 AW and the brush roll engaged.   At a minimal, one would believe 2 minutes lost.  This leaves a run time of 4 minutes.  Since brush roll usage on carpet surfaces cause increased resistance to the motor operation, 65 AW would be a normal mode.  At 4 minutes of usage, and the price of the product, users would have to be emotionally tied to DC35 to discount the drawbacks in short run time. 

Carmine D. 

M00seUK

Reply #49   Oct 28, 2010 7:25 am
CarmineD wrote:
These numbers give only a partial time differential.  This provides the diminished battery run time with the brush roll engaged with 28 AW of power.  Loss of 2 minutes.  The missing piece of information is the battery run time with 65 AW and the brush roll engaged.   At a minimal, one would believe 2 minutes lost.  This leaves a run time of 4 minutes.  Since brush roll usage on carpet surfaces cause increased resistance to the motor operation, 65 AW would be a normal mode.  At 4 minutes of usage, and the price of the product, users would have to be emotionally tied to DC35 to discount the drawbacks in short run time. 

Carmine D. 

Hello Carmine, I cannot directly answer all your queries as I'm simply reporting the information as presented. Going by the documentation for the similar Dyson handhelds, it suggests the max power mode of 65 air watts is only for occasional use, as needed. I don't even know if the auxiliary power for the brushbar is enabled in max power mode?

The charts below appear to illustrate that even at the lower setting of 28 air watts, the overall performance of the Dyson is more than competitive compared to the other lightweight, cordless vacs on the market.

This message was modified Oct 28, 2010 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #50   Oct 28, 2010 8:11 am
M00seUK wrote:
Hello Carmine, I cannot directly answer all your queries as I'm simply reporting the information as presented. Going by the documentation for the similar Dyson handhelds, it suggests the max power mode of 65 air watts is only for occasional use, as needed. I don't even know if the auxiliary power for the brushbar is enabled in max power mode?

The charts below appear to illustrate that even at the lower setting of 28 air watts, the overall performance of the Dyson is more than competitive compared to the other lightweight, cordless vacs on the market.

Kudos for trying M00seUK.  It's safe to say that dyson produces a powerful hand held.  The issue with its handhelds [from DC16 up thru DC35] has always been run time by the batteries especially now under stress.  This motor run time comes more into question with a revolving brush roll due to the resistance caused by carpet cleaning.  The latter is the point I'm making and I think Vacmanuk too for DC35 slim whatever it is. 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #51   Oct 29, 2010 6:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Kudos for trying M00seUK.  It's safe to say that dyson produces a powerful hand held.  The issue with its handhelds [from DC16 up thru DC35] has always been run time by the batteries especially now under stress.  This motor run time comes more into question with a revolving brush roll due to the resistance caused by carpet cleaning.  The latter is the point I'm making and I think Vacmanuk too for DC35 slim whatever it is. 

Carmine D.

Agreed - It's also a point that we'll be able to better clarify based on inital user testing / reviews.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Oct 29, 2010 8:02 am
M00seUK wrote:
Agreed - It's also a point that we'll be able to better clarify based on inital user testing / reviews.

Yes, agree which is the bases [at least for DC16, DC30, and DC31] for my concern on the meager run times for these dyson hand helds.  DC35 stats just give the full picture for run time at 28 AW with brush roll.  At first glance from dyson stats, it looks like DC35 increases run time at low speed over DC30 and DC31 to 15 minutes from 10.  Impressive?  BUT wait, actually dyson reduces the AW rating on DC35 at low speed from 38 AW in DC30/31 to 28 AW in DC35.  What will this AW reduction do to user perception of the powerful dyson handhelds [based on previous DC30 and DC31]?  Diminish it?  Yes, obviously to me.  Making the high speed even more preferred on DC35 even required now especially with the brush roll since the standard AW at low speed is reduced.  So, 6 minutes at high speed becomes ...????  Don't know from dyson.  Dyson is mum on the issue.  Have to wait and see?  No.  The answer is crystal clear [at least to me]. 

What dyson has done, IMHO, is to gerry rig two seperate products [a hand held and revolving brush] into one supposedly unique product by using "spin" [like reducing AW to show increase run time at LO speed ONLY].  The reason, my opinion, is to market DC35 slim as a new and superior product performance wise over previous same brand and other models but not expressly saying so with all the relevant data.  Instead relying on customers to buy and use first to determine its effectiveness.  One would have to be emotionally tied to this new product/dyson brand to pay the high price and discount the proven drawbacks of the meager past dyson battery run times for its handhelds [the core component of the DC35 slim].  If dyson customers fall for the hype and hawking, mission accomplished.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #53   Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm
End of the day though Carmine, are cordless vacuum cleaners really a good thing? The best dust buster I had was an original Black and Decker. Lasted me about 10 years until the battery completely died. Could I get hold of a fresh battery to keep the old model going? Not at all. Then the internet arrived and there's the *$%@ battery made in China that I could have bought, only the B&D model had been chucked out 5/6 years before hand for the lack of getting a new battery - even B&D couldn't give me proper advice. Consumer outsourcing just came too late and so much for recycling.

I know that Dyson batteries are now available etc etc, but just how big are we going to get in terms of being an infinitely disposable global nation?
This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #54   Oct 30, 2010 8:39 am
vacmanuk wrote:
End of the day though Carmine, are cordless vacuum cleaners really a good thing? The best dust buster I had was an original Black and Decker. Lasted me about 10 years until the battery completely died. Could I get hold of a fresh battery to keep the old model going? Not at all. Then the internet arrived and there's the *$%@ battery made in China that I could have bought, only the B&D model had been chucked out 5/6 years before hand for the lack of getting a new battery - even B&D couldn't give me proper advice. Consumer outsourcing just came too late and so much for recycling.

I know that Dyson batteries are now available etc etc, but just how big are we going to get in terms of being an infinitely disposable global nation?

Vacmanuk: You pack a lot in a little.  Not sure where to begin but I'll give it the college try.

Are cordless vacuum cleaners really a good thing?  Yes. It is the new frontier in the vacuum industry.  After 100 years of electric powered vacuums battery powered is calling.  All things being equal [meaning the battery powered vacuum performance is comparable to corded], and we know they never are equal, some consumers, possibly many, would opt for the cordless over cords.

...but just how big are we going to get in terms of being an infinitely disposable global nation?  Most consumers in the USA are oblivious to "green/conservation" issues.  The only way this will change on a large scale is to infuse tons of guilt into consumers to go green.  Mandating through laws only angers us and causes a backlash.  The guilt trip hasn't happened yet for consumers.  Not sure it ever can and ever will.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2010 by CarmineD
Aviori7

Reply #55   Nov 27, 2010 6:06 am
This Dyson is not exactly what I was expecting it to be and as I like Dyson, this model seems strange to me. So I am very surprised how well is this vacuum selling. I have no experience with this model and wonder if it will make it to the UK?

Vacuums Reviews
CarmineD

Reply #56   Nov 27, 2010 7:17 am
Aviori7 wrote:
This Dyson is not exactly what I was expecting it to be and as I like Dyson, this model seems strange to me. So I am very surprised how well is this vacuum selling. I have no experience with this model and wonder if it will make it to the UK?

Vacuums Reviews

Havent' seen it at any of the retailers in the USA yet.  Not advertised in the Holiday sales for Thanksgiving Day and Friday after.  Just on the USA dyson web site.  At $299 for a 5-10 minute run time, it's a pricey household cleaning tool.  Not really a slim upright or lightweight upright but a modified handheld stick vacuum.  Interesting design and concept after one stops laughing at the price.  But never know.  Dyson may pull it off once its out and about for sale in the USA and discounted to $100-$150.

Carmine D.

Replies: 47 - 56 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42