Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Why Dyson is different.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Why Dyson is different.
Original Message   Jul 10, 2010 4:06 am
A really cool insight to the workings behind the company and how they develop what I believe to be some the most well designed vacuums with overall good-great build quality in history.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
procare

Re: Why Dyson is different.
Reply #17   Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm
Hertz,

Back in 1976-1984 Electrolux(Aerus) had clutches on their uprights and I have not replaced one belt while they had them to this day. They had abetter clutch system as well as a better belt system.

Procare

vacmanuk

Reply #18   Jul 15, 2010 9:23 am
http://www.epinions.com/review/Oreck_XL_Platinum_Pilot_Vacuum/content_509893578372

A member who feels particularly strong about the bagless idea. I rather like this quote:

"...one of the reasons I hate bag-less is because of the mess and bacteria that is clinging to the container...in my opinion this is a health hazard with anyone who suffers from allergies..."
This message was modified Jul 15, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jul 15, 2010 12:57 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Oreck_XL_Platinum_Pilot_Vacuum/content_509893578372

A member who feels particularly strong about the bagless idea. I rather like this quote:

"...one of the reasons I hate bag-less is because of the mess and bacteria that is clinging to the container...in my opinion this is a health hazard with anyone who suffers from allergies..."

I've read this review before.  What I noted right off before reading the narrative is the discrepancy in the rating.  On the 4 rating factors the user rates 3 of the criteria as 4 and one a 5.  Yet, overall rates the product 3 Stars.  I would have thought based on the detail and doing the math, it should be 4.5 Stars.  Unless the user has no intent to tie the individual raatings to the overall rating.

On your note of interest, the user's comment hits the nail on the head about bagless.

I agree with the user's statement.  Anyone who uses any semblance of reasoned argument has to agree with the statement.  It is incontravertible whether you are a fan of bagless or not.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   Jul 15, 2010 1:19 pm
A vacuum could rate 5 stars on each of the categories listed and still be a poor performer.

None of those categories reflect the performance on multi surfaces, cost, or deep cleaning.

How would the reviewer know if the machine was durable when it was returned within 30 days.  He disliked it enough to return it so why give 5 stars overall when looks were the best rated category?

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jul 15, 2010 1:36 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
A vacuum could rate 5 stars on each of the categories listed and still be a poor performer.

None of those categories reflect the performance on multi surfaces, cost, or deep cleaning.

How would the reviewer know if the machine was durable when it was returned within 30 days.  He disliked it enough to return it so why give 5 stars overall when looks were the best rated category?

I suspect you're right.  BUT, it seems counterintuitive to me from just looking at the ratings/stars [without reading the narrative].  Which if you do [read the narrative], the user states in two places that product is high for quality of its construction/warranty and even states that ORECK's water lift [for suction] trumps dyson easily.  User says [on quality]:

"I liked many of the features and based on the data it is a good solid machine!"

"Do I think Oreck makes a good machine well...yes!  They give you 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't love it!  Additionally this bad boy comes with a 10 year warranty and free annual tune ups too!  So yes, I think they make a good machine...but not for me."  

But we digress and divert.  The comment of interest as vacmanuk points out here is the user's observation on the leftover debris in the bin after dumping. 

Incontrovertible using any semblance of reasoned argument.  I agree with the user's conclusion and vacmanuk's rationale for posting the review to prove his point on bagged versus bagless. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #22   Jul 15, 2010 4:35 pm
I dont think ratings tell the right truths most of the time though, Carmine and after all, it is individual which is why I posted the original post, and to show to Hertz and others that one consumer's ideas are different to another- after all how can a consumer give 50% out of 100% with just 5 stars? 6 stars would prove a point, an even number, or even 4 stars so that consumers could fairly rate if star ratings are used. Reviews or opinions in written content are a safer bet, particularly in depth content.

It is completely acceptable that an owner may feel durability to be an issue within 30 days, Hardsell. Hell, I even returned an Electrolux cylinder vac after 5 days use when a bin lid lock broke off that shouldn't have happened.
Hertz

Reply #23   Jul 15, 2010 9:06 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
You know Hertz, people like you turn me off forums like this. Its time to act your age. Your viewpoint suddenly becomes ** law ** and you dont seem to take on what others are saying. I suggest that you start growing up and stop trying to start fights. You are NOT discussing the original post you put on here, but rather trying to get your viewpoint across whilst other members don't get a viable chance to offer a viewpoint.

I suggest that you get yourself a particle meter and test it in conditions. Put in on You Tube when you put the particle meter near the rubber seals of the Dyson bin. Then you'll see if you think that the Dyson filters better than ANY bagged vacuum cleaner that has better filtration. Never mind relying on others videos when there's not a grain of truth scientifically to prove their point.

Dude, this isn't starting any fight, it's simply empirical data that Dyson's own rivalry even admits. Just accept the truth and move on. I totally listen to what others say, but when data and testimonials say otherwise then that's what I tend to believe. Miele already tested the DC25 THUROUGHLY, if you would read the sheet you would see it's high quality in filtration, thus I needn't do my own testing (though I would love to myself). As for bacteria growing in the bin; it's just as bad as having a bag that doesn't filter and have it puff out dust, and you don't lick the bin, you simply shut it closed, and Dyson's filtration would take care of enough of the bacteria to where if any DID come out, then it would be extremely negligible. Also, you can rinse out the bin, it's really quite hygienic if one takes simple preliminary actions to maintain the easy cleanliness of a Dyson dirt cup. I find it's easy for me and I'm sure it's easy for others.
CarmineD

Reply #24   Jul 16, 2010 7:40 am
Hertz wrote:
Dude, this isn't starting any fight, it's simply empirical data that Dyson's own rivalry even admits. Just accept the truth and move on. I totally listen to what others say, but when data and testimonials say otherwise then that's what I tend to believe. Miele already tested the DC25 THUROUGHLY, if you would read the sheet you would see it's high quality in filtration, thus I needn't do my own testing (though I would love to myself). As for bacteria growing in the bin; it's just as bad as having a bag that doesn't filter and have it puff out dust, and you don't lick the bin, you simply shut it closed, and Dyson's filtration would take care of enough of the bacteria to where if any DID come out, then it would be extremely negligible. Also, you can rinse out the bin, it's really quite hygienic if one takes simple preliminary actions to maintain the easy cleanliness of a Dyson dirt cup. I find it's easy for me and I'm sure it's easy for others.

Can rinse the bin.  Even put it in the washer.  Or just wipe it down and dust off.  BUT, how aboutb that nasty shroud that gets plugs with dirt and pet hair.  And the cyclones that clog up with the same.  Can't rinse them.  Dyson says don't use water on the shroud and cyclones.  We have a poster, a MIELE dealer, maybe even Diamond, that shows him blowing out a dyson cyclone outdoors.  He was fortunate he was not fined and ticketed for air pollution.  Dyson repairers will tell you this build up of filtered dirt in the cyclones is the equivalent of operating your vacuum with a overfill bag.  The difference is you can see the dirt in the bag and change the bag.  With dyson cyclones, $70 a pop for new one or $30-$50 to blow out the old. Requires high powered blower. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   Jul 16, 2010 1:57 pm
To my MIELE dealer friend: 

Hope you don't mind me posting this Youtube video which you produced and shared here awhile back.  Drives home the point several posters have made here time and time again much to the denial of dyson fans who boast dyson is different.  Seems they come and go here.  Having contracted pneumonia from airborne bacteria [most likely dirt in my vacuum store repair after 40 years in the business] and now forever susceptible to it, I recommend to you and others who perform these blow out bagless cyclone cleanings that you use a face mask to prevent inhalation of dust blow/flare up.  Warning:  Not for the dirt and dust squeamish. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnad0yuASec

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 16, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #26   Jul 16, 2010 5:21 pm
CarmineD wrote:
To my MIELE dealer friend: 

Warning:  Not for the dirt and dust squeamish.  . . .

Carmine D.

Haven't seen anything like this since the Mummy's Tomb.  I sat gripping the arms of my chair the whole time I watched.  . . .

Seriously, I wonder why they don't make these so they can be separated in half and washed in a sink.  This should definitely be a user manageable task.  There should be no need to go through all that to clean one.

Venson

This message was modified Jul 16, 2010 by Venson
Replies: 17 - 26 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42