Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Why Dyson is different.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Why Dyson is different.
Original Message   Jul 10, 2010 4:06 am
A really cool insight to the workings behind the company and how they develop what I believe to be some the most well designed vacuums with overall good-great build quality in history.
Replies: 115 - 124 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Why Dyson is different.
Reply #115   Mar 10, 2011 7:20 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
And sometimes they buy a Dyson when the Dyson picks up more baking soda. 

Maybe dyson will in tool mode but never in upright mode.  Give dyson twice as many more passes over the same carpet area than an ORECK and ORECK still gets more embedded baking soda.   In fact its exactly what ORECK in-store demo'ers allow the customers to do using baking soda. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #116   Mar 11, 2011 7:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
Maybe dyson will in tool mode but never in upright mode.  Give dyson twice as many more passes over the same carpet area than an ORECK and ORECK still gets more embedded baking soda.   In fact its exactly what ORECK in-store demo'ers allow the customers to do using baking soda

Carmine D.

Since when?
CarmineD

Reply #117   Mar 11, 2011 7:47 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Since when?

Where you been all your life?  Sniffing baking soda?

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #118   Mar 19, 2011 7:08 am
vacmanuk wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ymzkbCMgg

"The Assumption Against Reality."

There's also one with a Riccar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1aCcavRlds

It was interesting to see both youtube videos, Riccar look impressive! Did anyone read the comments as well on there they were interesting to read too! One thing to look out for and will be interesting over the coming years is European Union want to bring in the Energy Label system to Vacuum Cleaners to show there ratings on similar areas to the Energy label System on other white goods (washing machines, fridges, dishwashers etc....). They also want to bring in max wattage (amps in the USA?) to vacuum cleaners for Uprights and Canisters, as it's been mentioned that the wattage of motors since the 1960 typical 500 watts has increased to over 2000 watts today. So it will be interesting to see where vacuum cleaner technology and design will go if and when this comes in. I personally think motor wattage has gone way too high on vacuum cleaners as it does always mean higher motor wattage better pickup which is what the consumer mainly thinks! It's down to airflow and agitation is it not which equal air watts!? Out of interest where what is the amps of both motors in the Riccar Tandem airflow machines? DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #119   Mar 19, 2011 8:41 am
DC18 wrote:
i personally think motor wattage has gone way too high on vacuum cleaners as it does always mean higher motor wattage better pickup which is what the consumer mainly thinks! It's down to airflow and agitation is it not which equal air watts!? Out of interest where what is the amps of both motors in the Riccar Tandem airflow machines? DC18

No it doesn't. The aspects of higher power is used as a selling point to buyers - buyers aren't always interested in how much power a vacuum cleaner has - Dyson after all has bucked the trend for high wattage fitting 1200 watt and 1300 watt motors. Suction/power isn't just down to the air flow and agitation, but sealed suction so that no suction escapes. In the 1970s, cylinder vacuums didn't have a lot of power but as soon as they were given higher powered motors to improve suction power, this was also used as a selling point. However INHO cylinders/canisters and uprights are two very different vacuums.

Riccar Brilliance (as featured in the video) has 2.12 amps. The Radiance model also have this rating. Now, if you need to convert this to watts, you'll need the voltage. Then convert it at: http://www.jobsite-generators.com/power_calculators.html
This message was modified Mar 19, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #120   Mar 19, 2011 8:42 am
DC18 wrote:
It was interesting to see both youtube videos, Riccar look impressive! Did anyone read the comments as well on there they were interesting to read too! One thing to look out for and will be interesting over the coming years is European Union want to bring in the Energy Label system to Vacuum Cleaners to show there ratings on similar areas to the Energy label System on other white goods (washing machines, fridges, dishwashers etc....). They also want to bring in max wattage (amps in the USA?) to vacuum cleaners for Uprights and Canisters, as it's been mentioned that the wattage of motors since the 1960 typical 500 watts has increased to over 2000 watts today. So it will be interesting to see where vacuum cleaner technology and design will go if and when this comes in. I personally think motor wattage has gone way too high on vacuum cleaners as it does always mean higher motor wattage better pickup which is what the consumer mainly thinks! It's down to airflow and agitation is it not which equal air watts!? Out of interest where what is the amps of both motors in the Riccar Tandem airflow machines? DC18

Hello DC18:

Dual motors combine for a full 12 amps of power.  That's probably the most amps for full size USA vacuums, including those rated for commercial grade.  Which if translated to wattage would be the equivalent of  1200-1300 max.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #121   Mar 19, 2011 8:48 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18:

Dual motors combine for a full 12 amps of power.  That's probably the most amps for full size USA vacuums, including those rated for commercial grade.  Which if translated to wattage would be the equivalent of  1200-1300 max.

Carmine D.

Nope. It isn't as easy as that. The SEBO X4 has 10.8 amps but 1300 watt UK power. 12 amps doesn't equate to 1200 - 1300 but rather 1400 watts or more.
This message was modified Mar 19, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #122   Mar 19, 2011 2:26 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Nope. It isn't as easy as that. The SEBO X4 has 10.8 amps but 1300 watt UK power. 12 amps doesn't equate to 1200 - 1300 but rather 1400 watts or more.

Hi Vacmanuk:  The variable is the difference in currents between the USA and UK.  110 vice 220.  Wattage on UK vacuums substantially exceeds USA.  Appliances listed with wattage greater than 1500 are more than likely wired separately in the USA for 220 volts, like washer, driers, heaters, etc. 

Carmine D.

Here's the physics law:

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

This is a list of USA appliances designed for 120 volts.

Typical Wattages of Various Appliances

Here are most examples of the range of nameplate wattages for various household appliances:

• Aquarium = 50–1210 Watts
  • Clock radio = 10
  • Coffee maker = 900–1200
  • Clothes washer = 350–500
  • Clothes dryer = 1800–5000
  • Dishwasher = 1200–2400 (using the drying feature greatly increases energy consumption)
  • Dehumidifier = 785
  • Electric blanket- Single/Double = 60 / 100
  • Fans
    • Ceiling = 65–175
    • Window = 55–250
    • Furnace = 750
    • Whole house = 240–750
  • Hair dryer = 1200–1875
  • Heater (portable) = 750–1500
  • Clothes iron = 1000–1800
  • Microwave oven = 750–1100
  • Personal computer
    • CPU - awake / asleep = 120 / 30 or less
    • Monitor - awake / asleep = 150 / 30 or less
    • Laptop = 50
  • Radio (stereo) = 70–400
  • Refrigerator (frost-free, 16 cubic feet) = 725
  • Televisions (color)
    • 19" = 65–110
    • 27" = 113
    • 36" = 133
    • 53"-61" Projection = 170
    • Flat screen = 120
  • Toaster = 800–1400
  • Toaster oven = 1225
  • VCR/DVD = 17–21 / 20–25
  • Vacuum cleaner = 1000–1440
  • Water heater (40 gallon) = 4500–5500
  • Water pump (deep well) = 250–1100
  • Water bed (with heater, no cover) = 120–380

This message was modified Mar 19, 2011 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #123   Mar 19, 2011 2:29 pm
DC18 wrote:

DC18 and all:

Here's an interesting recent article with topics related oft talked about here but for washers in the USA.  Enjoy.  Whenever the gov't gets involved [read Congress] watch out.  Carmine's law:  Whatever objective the law tries to achieve, just the opposite results.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704662604576202212717670514.html

Carmine D.

adamlau

Reply #124   Mar 20, 2011 2:09 am
Interesting thread. I figured Dyson to be a dirty dog over six years ago, from day one. From perfecting the Dyson dump-shake-and-run technique to the wiping of the fine dust left along the bottom rim of the canister to the pressure washing of the cyclone unit against the advice of the manual, us longtime owners must surely be aware of its shortcomings by now. Three units later, I can safely say that I will likely never purchase a Dyson again. Chalk up my previous Dyson buys to ignorance. Back then if someone had mentioned Miele, Lindhaus, or SEBO, I would have scoffed. Who? What? No thanks. The most expensive brand of vacuum at the local department store is Dyson. Thus and therefore, Dyson must be the best. And I want the best. Kirby? That is for old-timers like my parents. I am young and I want something shiny and new. Dyson, or bust. Never thought to visit an independent dealer to expand my horizons. Thank goodness for the advent of online forums, review sites and shopping options, less I continue to be caught in the Dyson marketing loop forever.
This message was modified Mar 20, 2011 by adamlau

Replies: 115 - 124 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42