Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Making do . . .
Original Message   Jul 7, 2010 8:37 am
Good morning,

I came across this article regarding an increased demand for vacuum and appliance repair.  The number of consumers prepared to make do with what they have is growing.  Covers everything from vacuums to cell phones.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100707/BUSINESS/7070354/More-in-Lee-County-opt-for-appliance-repairs-spurn-new-purchase

Venson

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Making do . . .
Reply #1   Jul 7, 2010 8:49 am
Venson wrote:
Good morning,

I came across this article regarding an increased demand for vacuum and appliance repair.  The number of consumers prepared to make do with what they have is growing.  Covers everything from vacuums to cell phones.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100707/BUSINESS/7070354/More-in-Lee-County-opt-for-appliance-repairs-spurn-new-purchase

Venson

Hi Venson:

Good article. With 38 years in the vacuum business, sales annd service, Courtesy Vacuum in Ft. Myers is probably witnessing the worse national/state economic slump of its business life.  Doing vacuum repairs now offsets the fall off of new vacuum sales.  This is a truism for the economic cycles.    When times are good, more will buy and replace rather than repair.  When times are bad, especially really bad as they are now, more will keep and repair.  A smart business owner, as Courtesy is after 38 years in the business, adapts and overcomes the shortfalls/shortcomings of the economic cycles.  To its credit.  Hence the reason always to sell and service all brand vacuums not just one. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 8, 2010 8:50 am
Venson:

An interesting corollary to this news of repair versus replace is the value of used/rebuilt vacuums.  The latter tends to rise in bad economic times due to the demand for them over new.  Same economic phenomenon for autos now too.  In a study released last week Edmonds.com found that prices for used cars have risen an unprecedented amount in the past year for nearly all auto brands and models EXCEPT toyota, which have declined.

When I started in the business in 1949, we were coming out of WW2 and the Great Depression.  With rationing, most were still inclined to use, reuse, and then use some more.  I did not sell new vacuums until the mid to late 50's with HOOVER's Convertibles.  For the most part business was all repairs, parts, and rebuilts up to the time of the new HOOVER Convertibles.  The HOOVER and Lux rebuilts, which I sold with a one year guarantee just like new, were $40-$50, about half the price of new, and at least 5 plus years old as models.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #3   Jul 9, 2010 7:48 am
Venson:

An interesting event occurred as the country came out of WW2 and prosperity was gained.  HOOVER put out a directive not to sell off its trade ins but destroy them.  The feeling was the old models if repaired and sold as rebuilt would take away from new HOOVER sales.  Not HOOVER's brightest moment.

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #4   Jul 9, 2010 7:20 pm
Carmine ,

I sold many Lux rebuilts clear up to about 1986 I think.Then we stopped selling them when the cost for them had to be as much as a new one. It was a great way to leave a house with a sale. Factory rebuilt was all new attachment and cord . Body was the one thing that was original. One other thing stopped Rebuild - not enough trades coming in. We promoted  fixing the old unit as asecond cleaner.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 10, 2010 7:13 am
procare wrote:
Carmine ,

I sold many Lux rebuilts clear up to about 1986 I think.Then we stopped selling them when the cost for them had to be as much as a new one. It was a great way to leave a house with a sale. Factory rebuilt was all new attachment and cord . Body was the one thing that was original. One other thing stopped Rebuild - not enough trades coming in. We promoted  fixing the old unit as asecond cleaner.

Procare

Hi Procare:

The Lux branches always displayed and sold rebuilt luxes right along side of the new models.  Great way to show pride in product and company. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42