Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

hotel vacuums
Original Message   Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm
Recently in my travels in the midwest (i.e. Tom Gasko's state of Missouri), I have been seeing more bagless vacuums used at hotels.  At a boutique hotel, Hoover Commercial Bagless Hush Upright Vacuums were being used (similar to http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11519346&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|103|4716|28521&N=4009938&Mo=24&pos=1&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28521&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC24713-Cat4716&topnav=). 

At an Embassy Suites hotel, they were using a bagless Bissell in the lobby, a lightweight Sanitaire SC9050 Duralite Lightweight BAGGED Upright Vacuum on my floor, and I spotted some bagged Orecks on other floors.

At a small hotel, they were still using very old commercial Hoover Elite bagged vacuums. 

There does seem to be a trend towards bagless - even the dreadful bagless with a filter in the dirt canister.   

Interesting article on energy efficiency of vacs in Europe, sorry if this is a repost:

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/efficiency/studies/doc/ecodesign/eup_lot17_final_report_issue_1.pdf

The report is somewhat critical of the trend towards cheap bagless vacuums with high energy consumption and not so great performance.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: hotel vacuums
Reply #1   Jun 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Hello SEVERUS:

For years Mr. G posted prophecies that a certain bagless brand, beginning with D, would produce and market a commercial grade upright vacuum cleaner for sale in the US market.  A prophency that has gone, at least for 8 plus years in the USA and even more in the UK, unfulfilled.  Certainly commercial cleaning applications offer an excellent venue for bagless, as you witnessed by the HOOVER bagless commercial in use and BISSELL bagless [non-commercial rated].  While I would only recommend a commercial rated upright for hotel use, to ensure a valid warranty, sadly the mighty D brand doesn't offer such a product.  A failure on the part of Sir James and the illustrious company he founded to meet a market demand well suited for his bagless boasting.  Instead, he has fettered time and resources on hand driers, fans, and yet to be marketed kitchen wares.  Strange that a brilliant designer with a cadre of 500 engineers, credited with revolutionizing the vacuum industry, missed a market, at least so far, that others, like Tom, were insistent early on he would surely come to and conquer.

Thanks too for the link to the EU vacuum and energy efficiency report.  It seques very well from across the pond to a thread started by Venson here just recently for similar developments by the vacuum industry in the USA.  I've gleaned the report and intend to print/read more thoroughly.  It has a wealth of info and facts relevant to many of the discussions here. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Jun 30, 2010 8:45 pm
Hi Severus,

Thanks for the post.  I've downloaded the PDF and will give it a thorough read.

Venson

This message was modified Jun 30, 2010 by Venson
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #3   Jun 30, 2010 10:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello SEVERUS:

For years Mr. G posted prophecies that a certain bagless brand, beginning with D, would produce and market a commercial grade upright vacuum cleaner for sale in the US market.  A prophency that has gone, at least for 8 plus years in the USA and even more in the UK, unfulfilled.  Certainly commercial cleaning applications offer an excellent venue for bagless, as you witnessed by the HOOVER bagless commercial in use and BISSELL bagless [non-commercial rated].  While I would only recommend a commercial rated upright for hotel use, to ensure a valid warranty, sadly the mighty D brand doesn't offer such a product.  A failure on the part of Sir James and the illustrious company he founded to meet a market demand well suited for his bagless boasting.  Instead, he has fettered time and resources on hand driers, fans, and yet to be marketed kitchen wares.  Strange that a brilliant designer with a cadre of 500 engineers, credited with revolutionizing the vacuum industry, missed a market, at least so far, that others, like Tom, were insistent early on he would surely come to and conquer.

Thanks too for the link to the EU vacuum and energy efficiency report.  It seques very well from across the pond to a thread started by Venson here just recently for similar developments by the vacuum industry in the USA.  I've gleaned the report and intend to print/read more thoroughly.  It has a wealth of info and facts relevant to many of the discussions here. 

Carmine D.

It's possible that the Bissell bagless was a commercial model at Embassy Suites.  I didn't get a very good look (since it was in use at the time), but come to think of it it did have a 3 prong end on the cord.

While it might have been interesting to see Tom's vacuum cleaner museum, my family was more interested in the St. Louis zoo, Grant's Farm, and the Vatican exhibit at the Museum History museum. 
This message was modified Jun 30, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 1, 2010 7:27 am
Severus wrote:
It's possible that the Bissell bagless was a commercial model at Embassy Suites.  I didn't get a very good look (since it was in use at the time), but come to think of it it did have a 3 prong end on the cord.

While it might have been interesting to see Tom's vacuum cleaner museum, my family was more interested in the St. Louis zoo, Grant's Farm, and the Vatican exhibit at the Museum History museum. 

Hi SEVERUS:

Not familiar with a commercial rated BISSELL vacuum.  Must be new.  St. Louis is a grand city, the heartland of America.  Saw 2 of the 3 sights you mention. The Vatican exhibit post dates my time there.  Don't know if you got up to the Arch, the Gateway to the West.  How would you like to vacuum the carpet up there on a windy day?  Great view of the city.

Carmine D.

PS:  You make an excellent point about vacuums and their interest to visitors and tourists.  Not high on the scale of must see sights.  Really very low, and an afterthought for most out of towners on tour of the city. 

This message was modified Jul 1, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

Reply #5   Jul 1, 2010 10:54 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS:

Not familiar with a commercial rated BISSELL vacuum.  Must be new.  St. Louis is a grand city, the heartland of America.  Saw 2 of the 3 sights you mention. The Vatican exhibit post dates my time there.  Don't know if you got up to the Arch, the Gateway to the West.  How would you like to vacuum the carpet up there on a windy day?  Great view of the city.

Carmine D.

PS:  You make an excellent point about vacuums and their interest to visitors and tourists.  Not high on the scale of must see sights.  Really very low, and an afterthought for most out of towners on tour of the city. 

It's not so much lack of interest, but St James (i.e. location of the vacuum museum in which Tom Gasko is curator) is at least an hour away from St Louis.   If it happened to be on my path, I would have seriously considered making a stop. 

I'm not fond of the elevator to the top of the arch - cramped, no air conditioning, and expensive.  Once was enough.  Nice view though.  Wife really enjoyed the Vatican Splendors exhibit.  Nice alternative to a trip to Italy.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jul 1, 2010 1:47 pm
Severus wrote:
It's not so much lack of interest, but St James (i.e. location of the vacuum museum in which Tom Gasko is curator) is at least an hour away from St Louis.   If it happened to be on my path, I would have seriously considered making a stop. 

I'm not fond of the elevator to the top of the arch - cramped, no air conditioning, and expensive.  Once was enough.  Nice view though.  Wife really enjoyed the Vatican Splendors exhibit.  Nice alternative to a trip to Italy.

I've done it several times mostly because I was providing tours/sightseeing to friends and family visiting me while I was in St. Louis, MO.  I agree.  Close quarters and on an occasion or two the cars came to a stop en route to the top.  Remided me of being in a clothes washer tub/dryer.

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #7   Jul 1, 2010 11:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello SEVERUS:

Carmine D.

Perhaps the first Dyson commercial vacuum will be branded under the Oreck name.   David Oreck would make sure it had the ideal combination of features for commercial usage. 

CarmineD

Reply #8   Jul 2, 2010 5:36 am
Severus wrote:
Perhaps the first Dyson commercial vacuum will be branded under the Oreck name.   David Oreck would make sure it had the ideal combination of features for commercial usage. 

It would be a win win SEVERUS.  For dyson and ORECK.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #9   Jul 2, 2010 8:36 pm
SEBO America have substantially updated their website and includes user videos for mostly all of their vacuums incl. their commercial series.

http://www.sebo.us/index.aspx
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42