Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Are we ready to back up???

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Are we ready to back up???
Original Message   Jun 22, 2010 7:51 am
It's been debated that vacuum cleaners  -- good ones of course -- that use high power draw can help you clean faster and better.  Having used both high-amp and low-amp machines, I have yet to see my actual work time significantly decreased or increased either way. 

Nevertheless, thinking on rising costs for household electricity just about everywhere in the country, do you think we're ready to seriuosly contemplate a move toward vacuums that work well but require less power draw?  We learned this back in the day with cars and came to accept that six-cylinders or even less could be as much fun as eight -- especially because it left more cash in the wallet.

As well, if a trend toward real energy efficiency in vacuums and other appliances were to come about, how long do you think it would take OR would not take to be relected ecologically?

Venson

Replies: 15 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Are we ready to back up???
Reply #15   Jun 24, 2010 1:22 pm
Venson wrote:
I don't know what to say except that I'm a cynic regarding the matter.  When "big government" gets its hands on things "big business" is usually somewhere in the wings prompting its cues.  (Here we are back the oil spill.)

That's why I also feel the need for accurate information from unbiased sources is essential.  Industry reacts faster to what the public will not buy but the public can't always decide that without a regular flow of info.

Took a trip to a P.C. Richard store to look at the new LG uprights.  There was a very nice guy handling the vac department.  Turned out that he'd been there three whole weeks but hadn't a clue as to the function of either machine.  It was obvious that the floor model(LuV200) had been heavily demoed as its collection bin was quite full.  When I inquired if the "kompressor" feature did its job well all I got was a very quizzical look.  At that point I walked over to cleaner and flipped open the maker's info tag that hung on it so that he could read about what I was asking.  I fiddle around with the LuV200 and LuV300 but walked away more than sure the salesman would probably not take time to bone up on any of the product in a department that carried several brands of vacs all the way to Miele.  Definitely not confidence building but definitely not new.  I've seen enough of this same thing to have learned to take a grain of salt along with any information I'm being fed by vendors or manufacturers.

P.S. -- regarding the curly-cue bulbs lupus sufferers should take a look at the following: http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_magazineback.aspx?articleid=884&zoneid=67

Venson

Thanks Venson.  Not surprisng that the vacuum department gets the least qualifed.  Often times part timers and students.  Curious if any of the indies are planning to stock and sell the latest LG models?  If so, why?

The article about the potential risks of the new bulbs to lupus sufferers is interesting.  Adding a color shroud to the light given off, further reduces the light provided. 

Big business takes a back seat to gov't involvement.  Figured out long ago that there is no partnering with bureacrats.  It's a losing proposition.  Rare is the time and occurrence for good to come out of such a partnership.  Big business prefers IMHO to step aside, let big gov't go its merry way then follow the path of least resistance to conform.  usually through political donations to the right organizations and people.  Most agree that the laws in place were sufficient to prevent the deepwater rig from exploding.  But oversight and approvals were lax and blameworthy.  I would agree.  Hence my concern whenever the gov't gets involved to "help." 

Carmine D.

Replies: 15 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42