Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson in the news
Original Message   May 29, 2010 10:01 am
Dyson has this week released details of their end of year 2009 performance and generally paints a positive picture. Highlights include:-

• Despite the recession, global sales for the company increased 23% to 770m GBP
  • Operating profits more than doubled from 90m to 190m GBP
  • The Dyson Air Multiplier is a top seller in Australia; within 6 weeks, representing 64% of the market for desk fans, by value.
  • In the UK and US markets, the updated 'ball' range represents more than half of the Dyson cleaners sold.
  • In the UK, the company has a total market share for vacuum cleaners, by value, of 40%.
  • Dyson is the market leader for vacuum cleaner sales (by value) in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand.

Looking ahead, the company talks about new product launches scheduled towards the end of 2010 - a fair number of which (my speculation) are likely to continue the trend of offering a completive advantage by using digital motor technology. Ironically, a technology originally developed for use in their full-size vacuums, while all current models continue to use traditional motors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dyson-profits-double-thanks-to-rd-investment-1983841.html

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/10603/Dyson_cleans_up

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/channel/Entrepreneurship/news/1006022/sales-vacuum-dyson-gadgets-cost-worth-paying/

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/25296/Dyson-doubles-operating-profits.aspx - note: this has the statement 'The company has also confirmed plans to launch a robotic version of its bagless vacuum cleaner' - dunno if that's significant, but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere.

Replies: 53 - 62 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
M00seUK

Re: Dyson in the news
Reply #53   Jun 23, 2010 11:34 am
A good review here of the Dyson Air Multiplier:-
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/23/review_gadgets_dyson_air_multiplier/

“...while in theory this sounds an improvement, I actually found it made the experience oddly artificial. I prefer the in-yer-face feeling of a wind turbine - this is more like an aircon. The airflow is more uniform from a distance, but when you're up close, it’s like you’re in some breezy vortex tunnel of wind.”

“...the Dyson has a smooth dial control for airflow which enables an output of almost unnoticeable - but still cooling - amounts. It works wonders at such a level and for those looking for a subtle breeze to take the edge off things, it's perfect.”

“Aesthetically, it's miles ahead of a traditional fan. Feature wise it's one of the best I’ve used. While the higher pitched output is annoying, the biggest thing letting this bad boy down is the price.”

I agree; get the price down to a more ‘everyday’ value and it would likely be very popular. I understand the reasons for offering premium pricing at the outset, but it looks like it might be a year or two before the average person can buy it on price, with a clear conscience.

CarmineD

Reply #54   Jun 28, 2010 9:56 pm
Latest offer from dyson rec'd by email.  Not surprising since most dyson retailers have been offering the same already.

Carmine D.

Dyson Asthma and Allergy kit. Free with select machines for the Fourth of July

As someone who is interested in Dyson technology, we wanted to let you know about our latest offer. Select machines now come with three free tools to remove dust and allergens around the home. Until July 6, 2010.

Soft dusting brush
Keeps delicate surfaces dust-free.

Mattress tool
Removes dust and dirt from mattresses and upholstery.

Flexi crevice tool
Cleans awkward gaps and spaces.

Asthma and Allergy kit MSRP $69.99

Shop now
Allergy Kit
Certified asthma and allergy friendly

All Dyson uprights and canisters are certified asthma & allergy friendly™ by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.

CarmineD

Reply #55   Jun 29, 2010 7:58 am
vacmanuk wrote:

This will be the "hot" or as it were, cool news. Here was me thinking Dyson were going to launch yet another vacuum cleaner.

If dyson doesn't surprise with a new vacuum product before the end of this year, it will be the first year since its launch in the USA [2002] that it has not added at least one new vacuum to its lineup.  Making one think that the current lineup with some exceptions, like the DC14 and DC16 and perhaps a spinoff or 2 or 3 like the all white DC25 ball, are the mainstay of its future product lineup.  Yet dyson reports more new hires, better profit [we're told] than the years before, a new non-vacuum CEO in charge of day-to day operations, all good things.  But no new vacuum products? 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #56   Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
If dyson doesn't surprise with a new vacuum product before the end of this year, it will be the first year since its launch in the USA [2002] that it has not added at least one new vacuum to its lineup.  Making one think that the current lineup with some exceptions, like the DC14 and DC16 and perhaps a spinoff or 2 or 3 like the all white DC25 ball, are the mainstay of its future product lineup.  Yet dyson reports more new hires, better profit [we're told] than the years before, a new non-vacuum CEO in charge of day-to day operations, all good things.  But no new vacuum products? 

Carmine D.

We will have to wait and see. It's likely that if they *are* looking to launch kichenware products in time for the Christmas market, that a lot of their resources; marketing, certification, logistics that will be allocated towards this. It would perhaps be less important to them than minor improvements / new models in their vacuum range.

By the way, I was speaking to somebody at the weekend who works in healthcare. Apparently, the Dyson AirBlade hand drier is still not widely used in hospitals as it hasn't been pased for infection control - I presume this is currently the domain of fabric and paper towels?
This message was modified Jun 29, 2010 by M00seUK
Venson

Reply #57   Jun 29, 2010 10:34 am
M00seUK wrote:
We will have to wait and see. It's likely that if they *are* looking to launch kichenware products in time for the Christmas market, that a lot of their resources; marketing, certification, logistics that will be allocated towards this. It would perhaps be less important to them than minor improvements / new models in their vacuum range.

By the way, I was speaking to somebody at the weekend who works in healthcare. Apparently, the Dyson AirBlade hand drier is still not widely used in hospitals as it hasn't been pased for infection control - I presume this is currently the domain of fabric and paper towels?

Hi M00seUK,

It may be too pricey to be practical.  And if were talking use by hospital staff  . . .

Infections picked up during hospital stays are high here in the U.S. and disinfectant or anti-bacterials and plain old paper towels are more employed than electric hand dryers.  As well, there's the noise factor.  It's one thing to have hand dryers in public toilet facilities but another to employ them in an intensive care unit or the like.

I also took a moment to ponder if "sanitation stations" for doctors and nurses on the floor (an area for washing and disinfecting hands with a sound dampening surround to allow use of a hand dryer) would prove practical.  Came up with a blank as to room for automation as there is usually not much possibility to supply enough convenient placements for it to make the effort worthwhile.  Doctors and nurses often must travel from one hospital room to the next.  Keeping each room stocked with soap or hand disinfectant and paper toweling is much simpler and helpful to the purpose.

Venson

M00seUK

Reply #58   Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

It may be too pricey to be practical.  And if were talking use by hospital staff  . . .

Infections picked up during hospital stays are high here in the U.S. and disinfectant or anti-bacterials and plain old paper towels are more employed than electric hand dryers.  As well, there's the noise factor.  It's one thing to have hand dryers in public toilet facilities but another to employ them in an intensive care unit or the like.

I also took a moment to ponder if "sanitation stations" for doctors and nurses on the floor (an area for washing and disinfecting hands with a sound dampening surround to allow use of a hand dryer) would prove practical.  Came up with a blank as to room for automation as there is usually not much possibility to supply enough convenient placements for it to make the effort worthwhile.  Doctors and nurses often must travel from one hospital room to the next.  Keeping each room stocked with soap or hand disinfectant and paper toweling is much simpler and helpful to the purpose.

Venson

Cheers Venson - some good thoughts there. I'd imagine paper towels are the norm. A good business case can often be made for using the Dyson hand drier in place of paper towels - they're hugely expensive to buy, store and distribute around a building. However, the capital investment needs to be considered. Installing 4 machines in a busy motorway service station restroom might represent a good case for reducing costs + queing time. Installing at least 500 machines around a hospital would be need a major investement, although leasing and quantity discounts might help. You could install them in only the busiest sites, but I presume hygine practices are only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Maybe the likes of Dyson need to jump through a few more hoops on this one.
Lucky1

Reply #59   Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Latest offer from dyson rec'd by email.  Not surprising since most dyson retailers have been offering the same already.

Carmine D.

Dyson Asthma and Allergy kit. Free with select machines for the Fourth of July

As someone who is interested in Dyson technology, we wanted to let you know about our latest offer. Select machines now come with three free tools to remove dust and allergens around the home. Until July 6, 2010.

Soft dusting brush
Keeps delicate surfaces dust-free.

Mattress tool
Removes dust and dirt from mattresses and upholstery.

Flexi crevice tool
Cleans awkward gaps and spaces.

Asthma and Allergy kit MSRP $69.99

Shop now
Allergy Kit
Certified asthma and allergy friendly

All Dyson uprights and canisters are certified asthma & allergy friendly™ by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.

WOW!!!! Is that cheesy or what? How does just offering cleaning TOOLS qualify as Asthma Relief! Thats stretching reality to the limit. I doubt Shark would even stoop that low...well maybe not. Pathetic. What next, Vacuum companies will add a Hand Turbo and a Charcoal Filter and then call it a Pet Vacuum.....ooops
CarmineD

Reply #60   Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm
M00seUK wrote:
M00seUK wrote:
 You could install them in only the busiest sites, but I presume hygine practices are only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Maybe the likes of Dyson need to jump through a few more hoops on this one.

Putting the cart before the horse?  I have heard that the air dryers require frequent cleanups/sterilization by humans.  Labor costs and human factor are a con for offsetting the money saved on paper towel costs/storage.  I don't presume to know for sure exactly the hygiene concerns preventing AirBlade from passing tests for infection control.  I suspect it's the dyson hand/arm drying well.  Why?  The well accumulates human skin particles in the dried water/soap residue which builds up in the dry well.  Being a haven for storing and hibernating these germs which may or may not be killed with cleaning.  Since this well is an integral feature of dyson's AirBlade, it appears acquiring the health certification, based on the unit's current design, is almost next to impossible.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 29, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #61   Jun 29, 2010 2:17 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
WOW!!!! Is that cheesy or what? How does just offering cleaning TOOLS qualify as Asthma Relief! Thats stretching reality to the limit. I doubt Shark would even stoop that low...well maybe not. Pathetic. What next, Vacuum companies will add a Hand Turbo and a Charcoal Filter and then call it a Pet Vacuum.....ooops

I presume the design and function of the 3 tools allow users to vacuum surfaces which standard vacuum issued tools do not allow.  Requiring users to revert to hand dusting.  In giving users tools for the job, less dirt/dust in the home environment and on its contents.  Stretch?  Most definitely.  Tho the tools are neatly designed to serve cleaning functions.  But like all tools, use/user are often the key to their effectiveness.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Jun 29, 2010 2:29 pm
M00seUK wrote:

Knowing that dyson products are ALWAYS priced at a premium to existing competitors with the same products, I have to opine that dyson will enter the Japanese market first with any new kitchenware products.  Most big cities in Japan pay more for many common everyday services and products.  Japan is an excellent venue for dyson's new entries into a new market like kitchenwares.  Japanese appear to take a cottoning to Sir James too.  So all the more a reason.

Carmine D.

PS:  I suspect Japanese Christians celebrate Christmas but I don't know if it is a national celebration as in other countries and markets.

This message was modified Jun 29, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 53 - 62 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42