Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 205 - 214 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #205   Jun 22, 2010 1:22 pm
Carmine - are you suggesting then that the S4 isn't suitable for the U.S ? How does that work out for the Dyson Baby model then? Comparatively speaking Miele's testings on both the S5 and S4 bags are supposedly longer lasting than their rivals and both bags are claimed to last three months each? Granted buyers will know what they're buying at the time given the known dirt capacities, features and price.

In defence of Miele though, this has been an effective problem in the UK because the S4 has the same motors as the S5; you just buy what you need with Miele and due to its particular model and pricing structure most buyers are happy to buy basic and then add the filter costs in as per their need.

Also out of interest - www.eureka.com doesn't seem to be loading properly.. any reasons??
This message was modified Jun 22, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #206   Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Carmine - are you suggesting then that the S4 isn't suitable for the U.S ? How does that work out for the Dyson Baby model then? Comparatively speaking Miele's testings on both the S5 and S4 bags are supposedly longer lasting than their rivals and both bags are claimed to last three months each? Granted buyers will know what they're buying at the time given the known dirt capacities, features and price.

In defence of Miele though, this has been an effective problem in the UK because the S4 has the same motors as the S5; you just buy what you need with Miele and due to its particular model and pricing structure most buyers are happy to buy basic and then add the filter costs in as per their need.

Also out of interest - www.eureka.com doesn't seem to be loading properly.. any reasons??

Vacmanuk:  I didn't give it any thought until you did.  Excellent question.  I don't and can't speak for MIELE.  But out of curiosity I cut and pasted this excerpt from the MIELE USA site:

What conclusions do you/others draw?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 22, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #207   Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
When Miele launched the S4 Gold Edition model, they promised buyers a "year's supply of dust bags." What did they get? One box of four bags when ONE bag is claimed to last three months. Miele also did a special offer on an S5 limited edition model with the same "free" one box of bags. Therefore it's easy to multiply the cost of one box of bags by 5 to work it out.

As for filters, its difficult to say - dependent on the model and the owner's choice. They either put up with the free Super Air clean filters they'd get with the bags anyway or have to replace the yearly cartridge type filters such as the HEPA or the Active Air Clean Charcoal type filter.

If you're going to keep a vacuum bag for 3 months, I would think you'd want to have a charcoal type filter to prevent a stench.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
vacmanuk

Reply #208   Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm
Not necessarily. I know of many who use the Super Air Clean filters. Having used them myself for a year before I even knew I could get a HEPA filter or Air Active Clean filter for my old S571 "Super Air Clean," branded Miele, the microfiltration actually isn't so bad. Then you have the option at least to add air fresheners or bicarb as the other more expensive filters warn against using scented caps etc.
HARDSELL

Reply #209   Jul 7, 2010 10:51 pm
Carmine,  you never told us you sold DTD back when.

A

little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, to be

confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum

cleaner.

'Good  morning,' said the young man. 'If I

could take a couple minutes of your time, I would like to

demonstrate the very latest in high-powered vacuum

cleaners.

"Go away!" said the old lady. ''I'm broke and

haven't got any money!'', and she proceeded to close the

door.

Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in

the door and pushed it wide open.  'Don't be too

hasty!' he said. ''Not until you have at least seen my

demonstration.''

And with that, he emptied a bucket of

horse manure onto her hallway carpet.

''Now, if this

vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse

manure from your carpet, Madam, I will personally eat the

remainder.''

The old lady stepped back and said, ''Well let

me get you a fork, 'cause they cut off my electricity this

morning."

procare

Reply #210   Jul 7, 2010 11:34 pm
Hardsell,

All vacuum cleaners were sold door to door back in the 50's. That joke started back when the people in the country started to get electricity. There were areas that  a city slicker didn't know they didn't have electricity yet. When they did it was buy anything electric. I heard one manager say to the salespeople he sold everyone on this one road a new cleaner. My Father said , "Don't forget to tell them the people just got electricity."

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #211   Jul 8, 2010 6:49 am
procare wrote:
Hardsell,

All vacuum cleaners were sold door to door back in the 50's. That joke started back when the people in the country started to get electricity. There were areas that  a city slicker didn't know they didn't have electricity yet. When they did it was buy anything electric. I heard one manager say to the salespeople he sold everyone on this one road a new cleaner. My Father said , "Don't forget to tell them the people just got electricity."

Procare

Hello Procare:

Do you recall the Abott and Costello skit that put this joke to stage/TV.  Costello sells tank type vacuums, of course generic name, and enters a lady's home.  Says if the vacuum does not pick up all the dirt he throws on the floors and rugs, he'll eat up all the dirt.  Lo and behold no place to plug in the vacuum! 

HARDSELL: How's your problem workiong out?

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #212   Jul 8, 2010 10:58 am
Carmine,

You are right. If I remember correctly the movie was "Little Giant". He became the top salesman in the company. Had some good math problems in there too.

Procare

HARDSELL

Reply #213   Jul 8, 2010 12:25 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Procare:

Do you recall the Abott and Costello skit that put this joke to stage/TV.  Costello sells tank type vacuums, of course generic name, and enters a lady's home.  Says if the vacuum does not pick up all the dirt he throws on the floors and rugs, he'll eat up all the dirt.  Lo and behold no place to plug in the vacuum! 

HARDSELL: How's your problem workiong out?

Carmine D.

I didn't use dirt.  I referred to what you promote.

CarmineD

Reply #214   Jul 8, 2010 1:11 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I didn't use dirt.  I referred to what you promote.

I promote you.  Wherever you go you attract flies.  

Carmine D.

Replies: 205 - 214 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42