Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 169 - 178 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #169   Jun 14, 2010 7:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Seems like 99% of new vacuums being introduced are bagless.  No manufacturer is attempting to improve bagged vacs.  All the ads are pushing commercial.  Look on the shelves at all the new bagless models.  Can't find bagged ones.  Bags are also not as plentiful on the racks.  BTW it is idiocy to state that Dyson and Sir James are the only ones pushing bagless.  Of course we have become accustomed to your outright wrong and untruthful comments.

Now are all those other companies writing off bagged?  The writing is on the wall. 

DYSON, THE BRAND MOST IMITATED.  SIR JAMES, THE ONE CARMINE SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #170   Jun 14, 2010 9:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong. 

Carmine D.

Good, now only I am right.
CarmineD

Reply #171   Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Good, now only I am right.

A well known fact, like the dyson ASA rulings and findings, that are not true. 

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #172   Jun 15, 2010 10:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS:

The only person/company pitching bagless over bagged UP UNTIL this point is dyson and Sir James.  It's idiocy to make the bag/bin containment system the be all and catch all of a vacuum's rug cleaning performance.  Let alone clear versus colored bins.  Absurd.  In addition to outright wrong and untruthful.

Let alone, backs him into a corner on any designs/partnering with products and companies for bagged vacuums.  Not a bright business maneuver.  Downright dumb.  Writes off all customers and users who prefer bags over bagless for whatever reasons.  Health being one of the most significant. As stupid as saying in 2006 that bags would be a collector's item. 

Carmine D.

Both bagged and bagless have advantages and disadvantages.   Hardsell's new Hoover Platinum lightweight uses bags that cost nearly $5 a piece.  Yes bags are convenient.  Yes bags are sanitary. 

Rainbow and Filter Queen have also pitched bagless over bagged.  Certainly most shop vacs are bagless.  Many commercial vacuums have shakeout bags. 

There have always been people willing to get up and personal with dirt to save a couple bucks.    Compared to some of the pleated filter in the canister models by some competitors, Dysons are relatively easy to clean and maintain. 

While I prefer the convenience of bags, I have no problem with someone else preferring a bagless system.  My mother in law is certainly happy with her 30 year old Rainbow.  If you vacuum up a small toy with a bagless vacuum, it's likely easier to retrieve from a bagless vacuum than a bagged. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
vacmanuk

Reply #173   Jun 15, 2010 11:44 am
Severus wrote:
Both bagged and bagless have advantages and disadvantages.... Compared to some of the pleated filter in the canister models by some competitors, Dysons are relatively easy to clean and maintain. 

While I prefer the convenience of bags, I have no problem with someone else preferring a bagless system.  My mother in law is certainly happy with her 30 year old Rainbow.  If you vacuum up a small toy with a bagless vacuum, it's likely easier to retrieve from a bagless vacuum than a bagged. 

Why do you think my mother wont get rid of the Dirt Devil Dynammite? The paper pleated cone may well clog with dust and hair, but she always manages to find the backings to her earrings which are forever falling on the floor of her bedroom. The metal bits tend to languish at the bottom and when circling around she knows instantly when metal has been collected up by the noise.
CarmineD

Reply #174   Jun 15, 2010 12:16 pm
Severus wrote:
Both bagged and bagless have advantages and disadvantages.   Hardsell's new Hoover Platinum lightweight uses bags that cost nearly $5 a piece.  Yes bags are convenient.  Yes bags are sanitary. 

Rainbow and Filter Queen have also pitched bagless over bagged.  Certainly most shop vacs are bagless.  Many commercial vacuums have shakeout bags. 

There have always been people willing to get up and personal with dirt to save a couple bucks.    Compared to some of the pleated filter in the canister models by some competitors, Dysons are relatively easy to clean and maintain. 

Thanks SEVERUS.  Silly me.  I thought Sir James invented the first bagless vacuum.  What was I thinking? 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #175   Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm
Severus wrote:
. . .  Rainbow and Filter Queen have also pitched bagless over bagged.  Certainly most shop vacs are bagless.  Many commercial vacuums have shakeout bags. 

Hi Severus,

Just to state fact, Filter Queen is hard for me to think of as "bagless".  They can run a long between dumpings but each time you dump a fresh cellulose filter cone must be put in place. The costs of genuine filter cones, pre-filters and carbon odor filters can vary depending on where you find them. Therefore there is cost of use comparable to a bagged vac.  The cost for Rainbow is no more than the two quarts or gallon of water on your water bill each time you fill the machine.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #176   Jun 15, 2010 7:10 pm
Dont know about you Venson, but when it comes to emptying, you have to be careful; dust with water in it can clog drains although I'd imagine most would either dump the dusty water down the toilet or chuck it in the garden.
Venson

Reply #177   Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Dont know about you Venson, but when it comes to emptying, you have to be careful; dust with water in it can clog drains although I'd imagine most would either dump the dusty water down the toilet or chuck it in the garden.

Hi vacumanuk,

I always dumped Rexair and Rainbow water pans at the toilet.    Everything goes down and later washing and rinsing of the separator and water pan at the kitchen sink -- sacralige to some -- was one, two, three.

Venson

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #178   Jun 16, 2010 12:41 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

Just to state fact, Filter Queen is hard for me to think of as "bagless".  They can run a long between dumpings but each time you dump a fresh cellulose filter cone must be put in place. The costs of genuine filter cones, pre-filters and carbon odor filters can vary depending on where you find them. Therefore there is cost of use comparable to a bagged vac.  The cost for Rainbow is no more than the two quarts or gallon of water on your water bill each time you fill the machine.

Venson

To me bagged means the dirt is contained within a disposable sack (paper, clothlike, whatever) that can be removed from the vacuum and dropped into the trash.  I've never used a Filter Queen, but my impression is that it's a lot like emptying a shop vac.  By my definition, I consider a vacuum with a cloth shake out bag to be "bagless" because it doesn't have a disposable paper bag. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 169 - 178 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42