Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Piranha 8lb lightweight vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Piranha 8lb lightweight vacuum
Original Message   Jun 11, 2010 12:54 am
Sam's club is offering this 8 lb vacuum that is advertised as being made in the US.   It seems like this used to be sold under the Rubbermade brand, the Bissell brand, and the Kenmore brand.  Not sure about the availability of bags.  Has anyone used one of these? 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=189078&navAction=push#desc

Description

At only 8 lbs., Piranha's lightweight vacuum has the power to deliver heavyweight commercial cleaning results with an incredible 160 CFM. Tackling even the toughest commercial cleaning tasks, this 8 lb. vacuum will not only maximize cleaning speed and results, it will help minimize on-the-job injuries and worker's compensation claims due to its light weight.

Specifications

• Dual fan technology
  • Ergonomic handle with easy to use switch
  • Extra wide, non-marking injection molded rubber bumper
  • Powerful motor that delivers 160 CFM
  • Aluminum fan motors resist wear out from metal objects such as paper clips and coins
  • Moves effortlessly from carpet to hard floor surfaces
  • Self-adjusting brush roll

• Warranty

Assembled Country

Component Country

USA

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
    Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
    vacmanuk

Re: Piranha 8lb lightweight vacuum
    Reply #9   Jun 19, 2010 2:25 pm
    IN the U.S and U.K the D'art isn't on sale but worldwide the model is still for sale. Just because a model isn't in production in one country doesn't mean its like that internationally. Its the same with SEBO; they stopped selling their X1 Automatic long ago but in some other countries the X1 is still sold. What I'm getting to is that Miele could build a new vacuum using the existing bag and match it as per its capacity. They've already done it with the S4 using the FJM 3.5 litre/4 litre bag and the bigger S5 series with the GN bags. Quite why Miele called the S2 the S2 is beyond me as it has a bigger bag capacity than the more compact S4. Several people say the S2 will eventually replace the S4 so who knows...?
    CarmineD

Reply #10   Jun 19, 2010 3:18 pm
    vacmanuk wrote:
    IN the U.S and U.K the D'art isn't on sale but worldwide the model is still for sale. Just because a model isn't in production in one country doesn't mean its like that internationally. Its the same with SEBO; they stopped selling their X1 Automatic long ago but in some other countries the X1 is still sold. What I'm getting to is that Miele could build a new vacuum using the existing bag and match it as per its capacity. They've already done it with the S4 using the FJM 3.5 litre/4 litre bag and the bigger S5 series with the GN bags. Quite why Miele called the S2 the S2 is beyond me as it has a bigger bag capacity than the more compact S4. Several people say the S2 will eventually replace the S4 so who knows...?

Not on the MIELE International web site.  Have to presume its not part of the current product line.  Just sold as old stock where available.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 19, 2010 by CarmineD
    Trebor

Reply #11   Jun 19, 2010 7:32 pm
    The only reason the ART did not sell well was its price. If they had priced it right, it would have sold well,  Why do i say that?  It was ideal for bare floors,strong suction, smooth handling, with no weight to support, on board tools.
    Venson

Reply #12   Jun 19, 2010 8:13 pm
    Trebor wrote:
    The only reason the ART did not sell well was its price. If they had priced it right, it would have sold well,  Why do i say that?  It was ideal for bare floors,strong suction, smooth handling, with no weight to support, on board tools.

Hi Trebor,

I kind of agree.  When the Art first came out I was interested but I'd also assumed automatically that it had a brushroll.  Once I'd discovered it did not, I lost interest almost totally. You're talking a fancy stick vac with tools that should not have cost more than a couple hundred bucks. The inclusion of a brushroll might have made the shelf price more excusable. 

Save for the attachment set-up, the idea of the Art wasn't necessarily revolutionary anyway as years before Eureka and Westinghouse put out spins on what was basically a cansiter vac able to execute floor work without tools.  Neither lasted on the market long.

Purely a personal aesthetic, the second thing is that I could only stand looking at the Art model they had in a solid color.  The idea of flowers and fancy designs on a vacuum cleaner has left me turned off since the psychedelic '70s.

As for price, with Miele, by now I think I've gotten used to its ridiculous mark-up on whatever it puts out. That said, I would never buy anything Miele without some substantial discount in the deal.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #13   Jun 20, 2010 7:10 am
    The MIELE Art series was marketed to consumers with more dollars than sense.  The noveau riche in the USA who made huge fortunes in the tech stocks and Wall Street rally during the high flying 80-90's.  When both tanked, the Art series did too.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #14   Jun 20, 2010 8:31 am
    CarmineD wrote:
    The MIELE Art series was marketed to consumers with more dollars than sense.  The noveau riche in the USA who made huge fortunes in the tech stocks and Wall Street rally during the high flying 80-90's.  When both tanked, the Art series did too.

Carmine D.

Interesting point Carmine.  I wonder what's going to happen in future regarding consumers who still have no sense but even less dollars. If necessity is the mother of invention will it also prove to be the author of practical thought?

Venson

Trebor

Reply #15   Jun 20, 2010 1:59 pm
    The Art could not simply have had a brush roll inserted into its existing chassis. The motor was not designed to power both suction fans and a brushroll. Even if you get around that one, the chassis was steeply rounded, meaning the pulleys would not have been able to to line up to drive the brush. No room for a second motor, and there goes the weight if you add one. No, better to simply have sold it for what it was, a very powerful, effective, convenient bare floor vacuum, but at a more reasonable price.  I think had they hung in with it for a year or two more, people might have gotten over the sticker shock and purchased one. Hard floors are not cheap, and are not easy to properly maintain. The Art had suction strong enough to clean upholstery, not typical of your average stick vac. Some people just don't like canisters, period, and the Art filled a niche that remains empty.
    This message was modified Jun 20, 2010 by Trebor
    Venson

Reply #16   Jun 20, 2010 3:52 pm
    Trebor wrote:
    The Art could not simply have had a brush roll inserted into its existing chassis. The motor was not designed to power both suction fans and a brushroll. Even if you get around that one, the chassis was steeply rounded, meaning the pulleys would not have been able to to line up to drive the brush. No room for a second motor, and there goes the weight if you add one. No, better to simply have sold it for what it was, a very powerful, effective, convenient bare floor vacuum, but at a more reasonable price.  I think had they hung in with it for a year or two more, people might have gotten over the sticker shock and purchased one. Hard floors are not cheap, and are not easy to properly maintain. The Art had suction strong enough to clean upholstery, not typical of your average stick vac. Some people just don't like canisters, period, and the Art filled a niche that remains empty.

Hi,

I am not saying the exact same design would fit the ticket but something very similar with the motor mounted crosswise allowing a spindle on the opposte end of the motor shaft for belt drive.  How this would or would not allow for a sealed system I can't say but considering as it was of molded plastic, the sky's the limit for the arrangement of things internal.

My only other argument as regards the sticker price is for what this machine cost to buy, you could have bought either a can with P/N or a well accoutered upright and gotten better value for the expense.  The Art however did address limited storage issues.  One question -- was this machine designed for haning flat on a wall?

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #17   Jun 20, 2010 9:11 pm
    I liked the Art's design but having used one, the bags were far too small on dirt capacity and its L shaped suction channel meant blockages happened rather a lot than necessary. Miele could have put a brush roll in if they wanted - hell, Electrolux's small stick vacs from the 1980s have been made to accomodate brush rolls and there was nothing stopping Miele from doing so. I rather think though that Miele's reason to bring out the D'Art wasn't just for Americans - Germans tend to have hard floor surfaces everywhere as it tends to be more hygienic than keeping carpeting.
    CarmineD

Reply #18   Jun 20, 2010 9:25 pm
    vacmanuk wrote:
    I liked the Art's design but having used one, the bags were far too small on dirt capacity and its L shaped suction channel meant blockages happened rather a lot than necessary. Miele could have put a brush roll in if they wanted - hell, Electrolux's small stick vacs from the 1980s have been made to accomodate brush rolls and there was nothing stopping Miele from doing so. I rather think though that Miele's reason to bring out the D'Art wasn't just for Americans - Germans tend to have hard floor surfaces everywhere as it tends to be more hygienic than keeping carpeting.

Yet, no longer on the German MIELE site as current production.

Carmine D.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42