Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson in the news
Original Message   May 29, 2010 10:01 am
Dyson has this week released details of their end of year 2009 performance and generally paints a positive picture. Highlights include:-

• Despite the recession, global sales for the company increased 23% to 770m GBP
  • Operating profits more than doubled from 90m to 190m GBP
  • The Dyson Air Multiplier is a top seller in Australia; within 6 weeks, representing 64% of the market for desk fans, by value.
  • In the UK and US markets, the updated 'ball' range represents more than half of the Dyson cleaners sold.
  • In the UK, the company has a total market share for vacuum cleaners, by value, of 40%.
  • Dyson is the market leader for vacuum cleaner sales (by value) in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand.

Looking ahead, the company talks about new product launches scheduled towards the end of 2010 - a fair number of which (my speculation) are likely to continue the trend of offering a completive advantage by using digital motor technology. Ironically, a technology originally developed for use in their full-size vacuums, while all current models continue to use traditional motors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dyson-profits-double-thanks-to-rd-investment-1983841.html

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/10603/Dyson_cleans_up

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/channel/Entrepreneurship/news/1006022/sales-vacuum-dyson-gadgets-cost-worth-paying/

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/25296/Dyson-doubles-operating-profits.aspx - note: this has the statement 'The company has also confirmed plans to launch a robotic version of its bagless vacuum cleaner' - dunno if that's significant, but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere.

Replies: 41 - 50 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson in the news
Reply #41   Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm
CarmineD wrote June 1, 2010:
The B-P mess in the Mexico gulf will have major USA and UK back lashes in the very near and far off into the distant future.  He's trying to get a jump on the bad economic environment that will inevitably cause a major trade schism between the US and Europe [as a result of the euro] and the pound and UK due to BP.  It will get very very very ugly.  Some in the US are already talking about a US federal government takeover of BP.  What did it earn last year?  $20 BILLION. 

Carmine D.

It's beginning to happen.  June 10, 2010.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #42   Jun 11, 2010 5:54 am
CarmineD wrote:
Not sure what the implications and conclusions are other than those already discussed above.  I certainly can see the retailers which carry dyson vacuums also carrying the Air Multipliers too.  Why?  I suspect, regardless of all the posts above, that dyson would encourage its current retailers to accept and sell the Air Multipliers at no risk.  How?  At the end of the summer season, the unsold dyson fans could be returned for dyson credit toward other merchandise like vacuums. 

Add-on sales are always important in retail, allowing you to pitch further products after the buyer has made their decision on the main purchase. Dyson and the retailer could get great millage here by offering the Air Multiplier at a discounted price, when brought at the same time as a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Given the large sales margin on the Air Multiplier product, this could be an effective way to promote both lines whilst gaining increased revenue per customer.
vacmanuk

Reply #43   Jun 12, 2010 9:49 am
Nah, Dyson should offer free accessories with the fan like different rings to colour match your room of desired use.
vacmanuk

Reply #44   Jun 21, 2010 7:00 pm
IM told that there's going to be news released very soon from DYSON.
Venson

Reply #45   Jun 21, 2010 7:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
IM told that there's going to be news released very soon from DYSON.

Hi vacuumanuk,

If its the following, well  . . . http://www.dyson.com/store/fans.asp

There's now a twelve-incher, a "tower" and a pedastal model.  If "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door," is true -- I wish they'd make mouse traps.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #46   Jun 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Does anyone know and care to update here what ever became of the new range of stylish lights that were intro'ed by Sir Jame's son awhile back?  I believe it was M00seUK who first posted about them here.  Any news to update?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #47   Jun 21, 2010 7:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Does anyone know and care to update here what ever became of the new range of stylish lights that were intro'ed by Sir Jame's son awhile back?  I believe it was M00seUK who first posted about them here.  Any news to update?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Haven't got a clue as to how well they're doing but they're around. http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Table&language=en-US&pid=MLFBLUE  (Get out the smelling salts before you look at the price.)

Oh yeah -- and then they wrote . . . http://www.conranusa.com/productlist.aspx?cid=Wall&language=en-US

The hot new thing as far as lighting goes, I think, is LED bulbs.  Some vacuum makers are using them as headlights for uprights and P/Ns  but they are also appearing on the shelf in places like Home Depot.  Though about $25 a pop, they can offer light equal to standard incandescent and flourescent screw-in bulbs but run with even lower electrical draw.  I'm just waiting for a tad of mad money and all of the flourescent curlie-cue bulbs I've been using will be out of here.

Dyson doesn't appear to be either in the energy saving or money-saving vein.

Venson

This message was modified Jun 21, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #48   Jun 22, 2010 7:09 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Haven't got a clue as to how well they're doing but they're around. http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Table&language=en-US&pid=MLFBLUE  (Get out the smelling salts before you look at the price.)

Oh yeah -- and then they wrote . . . http://www.conranusa.com/productlist.aspx?cid=Wall&language=en-US

The hot new thing as far as lighting goes, I think, is LED bulbs.  Some vacuum makers are using them as headlights for uprights and P/Ns  but they are also appearing on the shelf in places like Home Depot.  Though about $25 a pop, they can offer light equal to standard incandescent and flourescent screw-in bulbs but run with even lower electrical draw.  I'm just waiting for a tad of mad money and all of the flourescent curlie-cue bulbs I've been using will be out of here.

Dyson doesn't appear to be either in the energy saving or money-saving vein.

Venson

Thanks Venson.  I was curious to know if these gems were still around and what the prices have become.  I guess I missed my Wife's Mother's Day opportunity for this mood setting, ambiance inspiring, environmental lighting.  HAve to wait for her birthday/Anniversary.  I never knew lights were so fascinating and interesting.  I can only imagine what my dear Wife would say if I presented to her as a gift and she learned the price.  She'd beat me over the head with it to knock sense into me. 

BTW,she doesn't care for curlie-cue lights but I have to say almost 4 years and counting.  I bought an extra supply to use and they are still wrapped and stored.  My Wife has been stockpiling the standard types.  No doubt she's waiting to replace the curlie-cues at the first possible opportunity she gets.

LED's are great addition to vacuums.  I'm a huge fan.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #49   Jun 22, 2010 5:27 pm
It seems that Dyson still have the ability to surprise. We already knew that they were working on a pedestal-mounted version, but these two designs are very creative variants of the original concept. I wonder if they support Kensington lock devices? If they don't have a easy way of securing them I wouldn't like to be a facilities manager, looking after them in a workplace.

Having a remote control makes them much more compatible with portable A/C units which often have the same feature. Purchase price for both is similar. The energy efficiency / cooling of the Dyson models would be very competitive - but for very warm, enclosed spaces, the high-end ability of an A/C unit would be more effective. The Dyson 'fans' certainly create a better-looking home / working environment than using portable A/C units.

James Dyson is due to be on The Late Late show with Craig Ferguson this Thursday (24 May 2010). 'Sounds like it'll be a general chat type-affair, with the opportunity to promote these new fan models to the masses.
vacmanuk

Reply #50   Jun 22, 2010 5:53 pm
No blades. No buffeting.

This will be the "hot" or as it were, cool news. Here was me thinking Dyson were going to launch yet another vacuum cleaner.
Replies: 41 - 50 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42