Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 130 - 139 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #130   Jun 9, 2010 1:23 pm
Spending $550 on a vacuum that brings ZERO life-changing/industry-changing innovations, but instead brings a mirror-copy of his competitors vacuums (same use of tired-technologies) is hilarious.  And spending $200 on a easy-to-choke ‘tired’ portable is funny too!  I can’t wait to see how Dishonest Dave uses hype and gimmicks to sell this decades old contraption (chokes-like/works-like their competitors less expensive vacuums).

CarmineD

Reply #131   Jun 9, 2010 1:35 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Spending $550 on a vacuum that brings ZERO life-changing/industry-changing innovations, but instead brings a mirror-copy of his competitors vacuums (same use of tired-technologies) is hilarious.  And spending $200 on a easy-to-choke ‘tired’ portable is funny too!  I can’t wait to see how Dishonest Dave uses hype and gimmicks to sell this decades old contraption (chokes-like/works-like their competitors less expensive vacuums).

My sentiments exactly...........for dumb dyson and Sir James.  Who in their right mind and pocket book would spend $550 on a weighty, ball wheeled, Malaysian contractor made, mediocre performing, over hyped/over hawked vacuum?  Or spend $300 on a 10 inch fan?  Or spend $1,400 on an electric hand dryer.  Or spend $200 on a ball barrow?  Or spend $5,000 on a contra rotating washer?  Or $12 on a small package of dysolv rug cleaner that doesn't remove stains?  History speaks for itself.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Or as Abraham Lincoln said:  You can fool some of the people all of the time; all of the people some of the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.  There are alot of things one can say about his favorite hero's innovative product plunders.  But, the honest thing to say is that they were incredibly bad ideas and he/company got it wrong [over and over again]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 9, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #132   Jun 9, 2010 4:55 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Dustmite,

You're making a lot of assumptions about a product you know nothing about - nothing new.   David Oreck is a much more honest person than you are.  He certainly puts the best spin on his products that he can, but he is very careful not to lie.  Certainly Dave prices his vacuums to include the cost of the annual service.  James Dyson could learn a lot from David Oreck about running a business. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
HARDSELL

Reply #133   Jun 9, 2010 6:26 pm
Severus wrote:
Dustmite,

You're making a lot of assumptions about a product you know nothing about - nothing new.   David Oreck is a much more honest person than you are.  He certainly puts the best spin on his products that he can, but he is very careful not to lie.  Certainly Dave prices his vacuums to include the cost of the annual service.  James Dyson could learn a lot from David Oreck about running a business. 

Ole Dave could learn a lot from several brands about cleaning beyond a hard surface.  Like deep cleaning carpet.performance.

CarmineD

Reply #134   Jun 9, 2010 6:32 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Ole Dave could learn a lot from several brands about cleaning beyond a hard surface.  Like deep cleaning carpet.performance.

Here's a news flash you missed.  ORECK increased market share in 2009 IN UNITS, which is the way the vacuum industry in the USA measures sales, and is poised to do so again in 2010 according to Trebor and Procare in their recent posts.  This in the worse economic recession and worse record of consumer spending since the 1930's.  How's that for cleaning up in hard times.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #135   Jun 9, 2010 7:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My sentiments exactly...........for dumb dyson and Sir James.  Who in their right mind and pocket book would spend $550 on a weighty, ball wheeled, Malaysian contractor made, mediocre performing, over hyped/over hawked vacuum?  Or spend $300 on a 10 inch fan?  Or spend $1,400 on an electric hand dryer.  Or spend $200 on a ball barrow?  Or spend $5,000 on a contra rotating washer?  Or $12 on a small package of dysolv rug cleaner that doesn't remove stains?  History speaks for itself.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Or as Abraham Lincoln said:  You can fool some of the people all of the time; all of the people some of the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.  There are alot of things one can say about his favorite hero's innovative product plunders.  But, the honest thing to say is that they were incredibly bad ideas and he/company got it wrong [over and over again]. 

Carmine D.

By eliminating (filtering out) the competing manufacturers to Dyson and their representatives (competing small time brick and mortar dealers) and eliminating the group that's not happy with themselves and their lack of real-accomplishments...  then it turns out, Sir James has very few critics here in the US and UK - indeed.
This message was modified Jun 9, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #136   Jun 9, 2010 9:51 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
By eliminating (filtering out) the competing manufacturers to Dyson and their representatives (competing small time brick and mortar dealers) and eliminating the group that's not happy with themselves and their lack of real-accomplishments...  then it turns out, Sir James has very few critics here in the US and UK - indeed.

What ever happen to that wonderful HS for engineers that dyson wanted to erect in 2008 in the UK for the good of the Queen and her country?  A very few UK critics were not happy with it?  Must have been buyers/users of dyson products:  Very few critics indeed.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #137   Jun 9, 2010 10:39 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here's a news flash you missed.  ORECK increased market share in 2009 IN UNITS, which is the way the vacuum industry in the USA measures sales, and is poised to do so again in 2010 according to Trebor and Procare in their recent posts.  This in the worse economic recession and worse record of consumer spending since the 1930's.  How's that for cleaning up in hard times.

Carmine D.

IF Oreck increased MS it was due to reduced pricing in Oreck stores and distribution in Big Box stores.  I feel certain that Oreck sales to BB stores are low profit for Oreck.  Combine that with reduced pricing in Oreck stores.  Increased unit sales does not always contribute to the profit line.  Give me the profits you can have the boxes.

I am familiar with Oreck's ability to clean up.  I am not impressed.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #138   Jun 9, 2010 11:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Nothing like reading a manual to know exactly how well a product performs that you never saw in person and never used.  CR testers actually buy, use, and test products before evaluating and expressing opinions.  Big waste of time and money.  You need only read between the lines to know.  Amazing.  Did you earn a BS or BA for mastering such a skill?  Or are you self-taught?  Perhaps with a mentor?  Sir James?  Do tell us your secret of success.  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Carmine D.

So you’re saying the $550 Oreck is not a colossal innovative failure (as advertised), but instead (perhaps) a corporate ‘secret weapon’ packed full with life-changing, industry-changing innovations.  And these innovations have been intentionally omitted from the Oreck marketing.  I’ve got the time...  we’ll see.  Hilarious!

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #139   Jun 10, 2010 1:11 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well the first link shows a very surpremely quiet Oreck! Ive never quite heard one that quiet: Im very impressed.

However the next one from the "android phone," gives a lot of noise. Which one is to be believed??

The two links are not good examples for good sound quality.  The second video has distorted sound.
I really like the ORECK Edge.  It is alot different from the other "8lbs." that have been marketed, from ORECK.  The Edge is not loud like the other ORECKS.  It sounds more like the HOOVER  Platinum bagged upright.  If you look at the Edge, you will see that the company studied the HOOVER quite a bit.  They have the large back wheels, like HOOVER, and notice the outer bag.  The outer bag has the same feel and look at the HOOVER.  Even the top of the bag has the same shape as the top of the HOOVER Platinum.

The attached hose does not have that much power, but I expected that.  The hose w/telescopic crevice tool would do fine for picking up light debris like crumbs.  Don't expect to clean the family automobile w/it.

The bristles are stiff and aggressive, unlike other models.  The vacuum cleaner really lifts the carpet pile as it crawls across the carpeting. 

The upright has a smaller bag than the other ORECK "8lbs.", but the bag prices are the same.

The Edge comes w/a completely different portable vacuum cleaner that has alot of power.  It has a bigger "clothlike"/"HEPA" bag, which is located at the bottom of the machine.  The user must release and remove the upper portion of the machine to gain access to the bag. 

The Edge should do well if people can afford the very high price.

I will write up a full review of it later, as well as the LG and a few others that I have not gotten to yet.
Replies: 130 - 139 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42