Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson in the news
Original Message   May 29, 2010 10:01 am
Dyson has this week released details of their end of year 2009 performance and generally paints a positive picture. Highlights include:-

• Despite the recession, global sales for the company increased 23% to 770m GBP
  • Operating profits more than doubled from 90m to 190m GBP
  • The Dyson Air Multiplier is a top seller in Australia; within 6 weeks, representing 64% of the market for desk fans, by value.
  • In the UK and US markets, the updated 'ball' range represents more than half of the Dyson cleaners sold.
  • In the UK, the company has a total market share for vacuum cleaners, by value, of 40%.
  • Dyson is the market leader for vacuum cleaner sales (by value) in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand.

Looking ahead, the company talks about new product launches scheduled towards the end of 2010 - a fair number of which (my speculation) are likely to continue the trend of offering a completive advantage by using digital motor technology. Ironically, a technology originally developed for use in their full-size vacuums, while all current models continue to use traditional motors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dyson-profits-double-thanks-to-rd-investment-1983841.html

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/10603/Dyson_cleans_up

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/channel/Entrepreneurship/news/1006022/sales-vacuum-dyson-gadgets-cost-worth-paying/

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/25296/Dyson-doubles-operating-profits.aspx - note: this has the statement 'The company has also confirmed plans to launch a robotic version of its bagless vacuum cleaner' - dunno if that's significant, but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere.

Replies: 38 - 47 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson in the news
Reply #38   Jun 6, 2010 2:49 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

I don't see that need of a desktop fan requires all the  over-build here or the hked up price.  Yet, I also believe that if you want to sell one and then sell more in worthwhile amounts, consider what it actually is and price it accordingly. There is nothing about this fan that in the least way convinces me that it costs more than ten or twelve American dollars each to mass produce and box up for shipping.

There are venues that we refer to as schlock-shops here in the U.S.  They sell usable goods but none of great speciality or great price. We usually head for "better" stores for the fancy stuff and are more susceptible to influence by way of the type of store to pay more for what we might readily buy for less elswhere.  If, per your feeling, high volume sales may not be of issue and the possibility of this machine's speciality is intentionally being posed to justify price then I think the purposes of all involved are better served by placing the fan in high-end stores like Neiman-Marcus, Bloomingdalse or even Macy's where people with the wherewithal to drop a few hundred bucks on small items are far more likely to be found.

Where is the logic in placing a $300 fan in venues where entire air conditioners are selling at two-thirds the price and far more powerful fans sitting right besided it can be had for one-tenth the price?  Selling speciality items has not only to do with the product itself being sold but where you place it for sale. Presentation means a lot.

Target and Wal-Mart could carry the very same stuff as Tiffany and Company but to what end?  The quality of jewelry sold at Costco is not the same as at a high-end vendor and most people who happen to make a purhcase there do not have the same expectations or make the same execeptions in regard to price as they would if, as an example, they walk into Harry Winston's.

If I walk into an everyday venue, as needed and with no particular urgency of purchase involved, I'm already programmed to think forty bucks or so for a desk fan or blender, maybe $300- 350 for a vacuum cleaner, maybe four to six hundred bucks it there's a good sale on TVs.  That is not written in stone as like everyone else I'm willing to go higher if I see product that appears to genuinely merit its price.  Nonetheless, I don't think that reflects my thinking alone and I don't think it aids Dyson much.

If Dyson's belief is that people everywhere are going to love the fan so much that they'll drop $300 wherever they happen to see it I think they need to think again.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Agree.  To my way of thinking, dyson/Sir James in good times and bad, can't decide if it should market itself as a niche seller or mainstream seller.  As with vacuums, its mainstay, dyson is and always will be, if its existing brand remains unchanged, a niche market and products company.  Based on the products and prices.  True to its form and content, dyson fans are no different than its vacuums.  [Making SEVERUS' point that consumers associate overprice of its fans with overprice of its vacuums a real risk for advertising].  Dyson fans are very much in the same vein as its vacuums.  Niche sellers.  Period, end of discussion.  From both a product and price perspective.  On this point alone, if there is agreement, all M00seUK's fan points above fall apart.  While they may sound convincing in a Forum post/company sound bite, they are all moot.  Contrarily, your points about dyson, its products, and the current state of consumers' spending, are right on the money.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 6, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #39   Jun 7, 2010 11:50 am
Hi,

I haven't shopped at Macy's in years.  Lots of nice stuff that I can get elsewhere for less. At one point in time it had its own charge card but I don't know if the like is still in existence.  Posessing a Macy's charge card was sometimes an some an excuse not to shop around.  Guess they carried your balance longer than most.

In any event check out -- http://www1.macys.com/search/index.ognc?SearchTarget=*&Keyword=dyson

The prices on Dyson vacuums and acoutrements are way up there but I don't think anyone's complaining 'cause it's Macy's.  However, I did not find the Dyson fan.  The site offers no desk top fan at higher than 90 bucks.

Hammacher-Schlemmer, a great place for those with flights of fancy, does have the bladeless fan along with a variety of other brands and models.  Among them HS lists a $40 model as the best desktop fan.

http://www.hammacher.com/Search/Default.aspx?query=fan

Bed, Bath and Beyond is offering the DDyson fan in two colors --

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/SearchSKU.asp?order_num=-1&&LIMIT=0&COLOR=0&RNT=0&BTSmode=false&BRAND=162&BRND=0&RN=&IPPsearch=72

Though I thought the fan would be a sure-shot for Sharper image and Nieman-Marcus it appears to be in neither's listings.

Venson

This message was modified Jun 7, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #40   Jun 7, 2010 2:09 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

I haven't shopped at Macy's in years.  Lots of nice stuff that I can get elsewhere for less. At one point in time it had its own charge card but I don't know if the like is still in existence.  Posessing a Macy's charge card was sometimes an some an excuse not to shop around.  Guess they carried your balance longer than most.

In any event check out -- http://www1.macys.com/search/index.ognc?SearchTarget=*&Keyword=dyson

The prices on Dyson vacuums and acoutrements are way up there but I don't think anyone's complaining 'cause it's Macy's.  However, I did not find the Dyson fan.  The site offers no desk top fan at higher than 90 bucks.

Hammacher-Schlemmer, a great place for those with flights of fancy, does have the bladeless fan along with a variety of other brands and models.  Among them HS lists a $40 model as the best desktop fan.

http://www.hammacher.com/Search/Default.aspx?query=fan

Bed, Bath and Beyond is offering the DDyson fan in two colors --

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/SearchSKU.asp?order_num=-1&&LIMIT=0&COLOR=0&RNT=0&BTSmode=false&BRAND=162&BRND=0&RN=&IPPsearch=72

Though I thought the fan would be a sure-shot for Sharper image and Nieman-Marcus it appears to be in neither's listings.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Interesting findings.  Thank you.

• Macy's carries dyson vacuums BUT not the Air Multiplier.  Raises questions.
  • H/S carries Air Multiplier BUT not dyson vacuums. Understandable.
  • BB&B carries dyson vacuums and Air Multiplier.  As would be expected.
  • Sharper Image and NM both don't carry vacuums and no Air Multiplier.  Understandable for vacuums.  Raises questions for Air Multiplier absence. 

Not sure what the implications and conclusions are other than those already discussed above.  I certainly can see the retailers which carry dyson vacuums also carrying the Air Multipliers too.  Why?  I suspect, regardless of all the posts above, that dyson would encourage its current retailers to accept and sell the Air Multipliers at no risk.  How?  At the end of the summer season, the unsold dyson fans could be returned for dyson credit toward other merchandise like vacuums. 

You're absolutely right.  Sharper Image and Nieman Marcus are ideal retailers for dyson's Air Multiplier.  If I can read the tea leaves on the conspicious absence of dyson's fans at these retailers I'd say both don't think much of the item/pricing and/or both.  Here's where advertising and media blitz campaigns are useful for dyson's Air Multiplier.  If consumers see it and it attracts their interest, as you said, customers of Macy's, H-S, and N-M would probably inquire and possibly the stores would be more likely to carry and sell them.  I suppose the dyson media people would say their target market would see Air Multipliers on YouTube and facebook.  That might be true.  But, realistically the old rich are more likely to be customers of retailers like Macy's and Neiman Marcus and more likely to buy there if at all. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 7, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #41   Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm
CarmineD wrote June 1, 2010:
The B-P mess in the Mexico gulf will have major USA and UK back lashes in the very near and far off into the distant future.  He's trying to get a jump on the bad economic environment that will inevitably cause a major trade schism between the US and Europe [as a result of the euro] and the pound and UK due to BP.  It will get very very very ugly.  Some in the US are already talking about a US federal government takeover of BP.  What did it earn last year?  $20 BILLION. 

Carmine D.

It's beginning to happen.  June 10, 2010.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #42   Jun 11, 2010 5:54 am
CarmineD wrote:
Not sure what the implications and conclusions are other than those already discussed above.  I certainly can see the retailers which carry dyson vacuums also carrying the Air Multipliers too.  Why?  I suspect, regardless of all the posts above, that dyson would encourage its current retailers to accept and sell the Air Multipliers at no risk.  How?  At the end of the summer season, the unsold dyson fans could be returned for dyson credit toward other merchandise like vacuums. 

Add-on sales are always important in retail, allowing you to pitch further products after the buyer has made their decision on the main purchase. Dyson and the retailer could get great millage here by offering the Air Multiplier at a discounted price, when brought at the same time as a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Given the large sales margin on the Air Multiplier product, this could be an effective way to promote both lines whilst gaining increased revenue per customer.
vacmanuk

Reply #43   Jun 12, 2010 9:49 am
Nah, Dyson should offer free accessories with the fan like different rings to colour match your room of desired use.
vacmanuk

Reply #44   Jun 21, 2010 7:00 pm
IM told that there's going to be news released very soon from DYSON.
Venson

Reply #45   Jun 21, 2010 7:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
IM told that there's going to be news released very soon from DYSON.

Hi vacuumanuk,

If its the following, well  . . . http://www.dyson.com/store/fans.asp

There's now a twelve-incher, a "tower" and a pedastal model.  If "Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door," is true -- I wish they'd make mouse traps.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #46   Jun 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Does anyone know and care to update here what ever became of the new range of stylish lights that were intro'ed by Sir Jame's son awhile back?  I believe it was M00seUK who first posted about them here.  Any news to update?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #47   Jun 21, 2010 7:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Does anyone know and care to update here what ever became of the new range of stylish lights that were intro'ed by Sir Jame's son awhile back?  I believe it was M00seUK who first posted about them here.  Any news to update?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Haven't got a clue as to how well they're doing but they're around. http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Table&language=en-US&pid=MLFBLUE  (Get out the smelling salts before you look at the price.)

Oh yeah -- and then they wrote . . . http://www.conranusa.com/productlist.aspx?cid=Wall&language=en-US

The hot new thing as far as lighting goes, I think, is LED bulbs.  Some vacuum makers are using them as headlights for uprights and P/Ns  but they are also appearing on the shelf in places like Home Depot.  Though about $25 a pop, they can offer light equal to standard incandescent and flourescent screw-in bulbs but run with even lower electrical draw.  I'm just waiting for a tad of mad money and all of the flourescent curlie-cue bulbs I've been using will be out of here.

Dyson doesn't appear to be either in the energy saving or money-saving vein.

Venson

This message was modified Jun 21, 2010 by Venson
Replies: 38 - 47 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42