Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Hoover Recall
Original Message   Jun 2, 2010 11:38 am
Hoover Recalls Upright Vacuum Cleaners Due to Fire and Shock Hazards U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 27, 2010 Release #10-248 Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 891-2054 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908 Hoover Recalls Upright Vacuum Cleaners Due to Fire and Shock Hazards WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. Name of Product: Hoover(r) WindTunnel T-Series(tm) Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners with Cord Rewind Feature Units: About 108,000 Importer: Hoover Inc., of Glenwillow, Ohio Hazard: The power cord is not properly routed or securely seated in the cord rewind assembly allowing the power cord to be pulled loose. This poses fire and shock hazards. Incidents/Injuries: Hoover has received three reports of minor burns to carpet and furniture and one report of a minor burn to a consumer's hand. Description: This recall involves Hoover(r) WindTunnel T-Series(tm) Bagless Upright vacuum cleaners with the cord rewind feature. This feature enables the cord to wind inside the vacuum for storage. The following model numbers and manufacturing codes are included in the recall. Model Numbers / Manufacturing code ends with... UH70110 UH70120 / HO9A O9A UH70200 UH70205 / JO9A KO9A UH70210 Vacuums with the manufacturing code KO9A followed by a green dot are not included in this recall. Vacuum cleaners with the cord rewind feature sold after November 2009 and with any other manufacturing code are not included in this recall. The model number and manufacturing code can be found on a label on the lower rear part of the vacuum cleaner. Sold at: Mass merchandisers, department stores and independent vacuum retailers nationwide and online from August 2009 through May 2010 for between $100 and $160. Manufactured in: Mexico Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled vacuum cleaners and contact Hoover for a free repair. Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Hoover toll-free at (888) 891-2054 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.hoover.com/tseriesrewindrecall To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10248.html
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Venson

Re: Hoover Recall
Reply #1   Jun 2, 2010 12:40 pm
Hi Lucky1,

A thumbs-up to you for the heads-up.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #2   Jun 2, 2010 1:25 pm
Here's a picture.

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #3   Jul 5, 2010 1:40 am
Yet another reason to go with a Dyson, Electrolux, or Bosch if you want a bagless machine.
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 5, 2010 7:09 am
Hertz wrote:
Yet another reason to go with a Dyson, Electrolux, or Bosch if you want a bagless machine.

Considering no dyson uprights despite their exorbitant prices come standard with a cordwinder, this HOOVER T series for $130, which tied with dyson's DC28 for $600 in the latest edition of Consumer Reports [March 2010] as equal in product performance and handling, and comes with an automatic cord rewind, are reasons to buy it.  IMHO  A cord rewind recall is easy, free, and quick to repair since it already has one.

Carmine D. 

M00seUK

Reply #5   Jul 5, 2010 1:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Considering no dyson uprights despite their exorbitant prices come standard with a cordwinder, this HOOVER T series for $130, which tied with dyson's DC28 for $600 in the latest edition of Consumer Reports [March 2010] as equal in product performance and handling, and comes with an automatic cord rewind, are reasons to buy it.  IMHO  A cord rewind recall is easy, free, and quick to repair since it already has one.

Carmine D. 

One the first point, this looks like a good value vacuum for the price. On the second point, I've never used an upright with a cord winder; one reason James Dyson gave for not using cord winders on his machines (also likely cost / benefit - to him) is that they frequently have reliability issues (as proved by the recall).
CarmineD

Reply #6   Jul 5, 2010 1:44 pm
M00seUK wrote:
One the first point, this looks like a good value vacuum for the price. On the second point, I've never used an upright with a cord winder; one reason James Dyson gave for not using cord winders on his machines (also likely cost / benefit - to him) is that they frequently have reliability issues (as proved by the recall).

Hello M00seUK:

HOOVER is one of the first upright brands to use cord winders.  It's track record for reliability of the winders, up to this particular model, is pristine.  Sir James kow towed manual rug height adjustments for years in favor of self-adjusting head nozzles.  He put these concerns to rest once and for all with TOL dyson DC28 which uses manual rug height adjustments.  I put more reliance on the actual track record of the HOOVER winders, which to HOOVER/TTI's credit, were voluntarily recalled, than Sir James' proclaimations about avoiding them.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #7   Jul 5, 2010 3:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello M00seUK:

HOOVER is one of the first upright brands to use cord winders.  It's track record for reliability of the winders, up to this particular model, is pristine.  Sir James kow towed manual rug height adjustments for years in favor of self-adjusting head nozzles.  He put these concerns to rest once and for all with TOL dyson DC28 which uses manual rug height adjustments.  I put more reliance on the actual track record of the HOOVER winders, which to HOOVER/TTI's credit, were voluntarily recalled, than Sir James' proclaimations about avoiding them.

Carmine D.

Yeah, I would agreed that JD's decision on these points was likely more to do with cost at the time: "people don't want cord winders (which often are the first to break) " and "height adjusters aren't useful to most people". Both statements are true for people like me, but not everyone.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jul 5, 2010 5:31 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Yeah, I would agreed that JD's decision on these points was likely more to do with cost at the time: "people don't want cord winders (which often are the first to break) " and "height adjusters aren't useful to most people". Both statements are true for people like me, but not everyone.

I respectively disagree M00seUK.  Sir James Dyson does not make product feature decisions based on their respective costs.  Look at a few of his products:  10 inch fan priced at $300.  6 minute operating handheld priced at $270.  Electric Hand Dryer priced at $1400.  Lights priced at $900.  Dysolv carpet cleaner for $12.  The premise sounds good.  Excellent retailer spin by dyson.  But, no, I can't accept/believe that prohibitive costs have ever served as a reason for dyson to keep typical industry wide features from becoming standard for his products.  Not with dyson having 500 full time engineers on board whose payroll overhead expenses have to be factored into the prices of all his consumer products.  Sir James has shown time and time again he has no qualms about pricing his products 200-300 times higher than the industry competition. 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #9   Jul 5, 2010 6:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I respectively disagree M00seUK.  Sir James Dyson does not make product feature decisions based on their respective costs.  Look at a few of his products:  10 inch fan priced at $300.  6 minute operating handheld priced at $270.  Electric Hand Dryer priced at $1400.  Lights priced at $900.  Dysolv carpet cleaner for $12.  The premise sounds good.  Excellent retailer spin by dyson.  But, no, I can't accept/believe that prohibitive costs have ever served as a reason for dyson to keep typical industry wide features from becoming standard for his products.  Not with dyson having 500 full time engineers on board whose payroll overhead expenses have to be factored into the prices of all his consumer products.  Sir James has shown time and time again he has no qualms about pricing his products 200-300 times higher than the industry competition. 

Carmine D.

Um, no - you've jumped to the wrong conclusion. I didn't mean that people *won't* pay extra for these features. I meant the J.Dyson *thinks* (either rightly or wrongly) that most people don't *need* these features and that Dyson needn't go to the cost / trouble of including them. Of course Dyson makes decisions on cost (to them) as a feature that might not be priority for most people will eat in to their margin.
Venson

Reply #10   Jul 5, 2010 7:21 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Um, no - you've jumped to the wrong conclusion. I didn't mean that people *won't* pay extra for these features. I meant the J.Dyson *thinks* (either rightly or wrongly) that most people don't *need* these features and that Dyson needn't go to the cost / trouble of including them. Of course Dyson makes decisions on cost (to them) as a feature that might not be priority for most people will eat in to their margin.

Hi M00seUK,

The Dyson DC28 rated well in our Consumer Reports and is probably the first of Dysons that merited a higher rating over other Dyson models.  Besides a better brushroll, it had, at last, a height adjustment. 

Conveniences like height adjustment for upright vacuums and canisters with power nozzles, lights for illumination in badly lighted areas, cord reels and speed/suction adjustment are boons. 

Speaking of cord reels I have new vacs that have them and forty year old vacs that also have them.  They're all working.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jul 5, 2010 7:32 pm
M00seUK wrote:

Then, let me backtrack and restate my conclusion which differs from yours.  For years Sir James Dyson was mislead about the importance of manual rug height adjustments.  He was mislead because he concluded they were not a priority for most people.  Rather than eating into his profit margin with their inclusion, instead he gave buyers ONLY a self-adjusting floating head nozzle.  Lo and behold sometime before June 2009, Sir James had an epiphany about the matter and reversed course in his thinking on manual rug height adjustments. So he added them to the DC28, which retails for $599 an increase of about $100 over the typical dyson upright up to that time.  I conclude from this occurence that:  If Sir James Dyson believes/feels the feature is a priority [either rightly or wrongly] he builds it into the product without concern for profit because dyson prices the product upwards for its inclusion.  Cost is not the issue for the feature's inclusion.  Something else other than the increased cost that will diminish his profit margin [as you claim] is the motivating reason for its inclusion. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Jul 5, 2010 7:42 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi M00seUK,

The Dyson DC28 rated well in our Consumer Reports and is probably the first of Dysons that merited a higher rating over other Dyson models.  Besides a better brushroll, it had, at last, a height adjustment. 

Conveniences like height adjustment for upright vacuums and canisters with power nozzles, lights for illumination in badly lighted areas, cord reels and speed/suction adjustment are boons. 

Speaking of cord reels I have new vacs that have them and forty year old vacs that also have them.  They're all working.

Venson

Hi Venson:

On the subject of cord winders, I believe Sir James Dyson's statement that they are problematic and hence unworthy of inclusion is just a misguided excuse for not offering them on his upright models.  Just as was his excuse for not including the manual rug height adjustments which he reversed course in June 2009 with DC28.  And upped the MSRP.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #13   Jul 5, 2010 10:08 pm
But they are problematic on older machines. I've worked on several Panasonic uprights that had auto cord rewinds and the company copied Hoover UK in the 1980s by fitting the auto cord rewind at the top recess just above or below the carry handle. Panasonic got so fed up with recalled vacuums that they stopped auto cord rewinds on their 1990 vacuums. Physically by design if a motor that rewinds a cable from the floor upwards all the time at the end of cleaning, its no wonder that the weight and pull of the plug and associated cord weakens the mechanism over time. The Mach 6 in the UK (by Vax/TTi) and the old Vax VX series have auto cord rewinds located at the bottom which is a much better thought out idea. Still, though it is something that is "another thing," like to go wrong over time.

Carmine - I had no idea that Dyson fitted a manual adjuster on the DC28. How does it work? Does it follow the standard that there are selective notches/dial style that the owner can adjust themselves to different carpet heights or something completely different?
CarmineD

Reply #14   Jul 6, 2010 2:26 am
vacmanuk wrote:
But they are problematic on older machines. I've worked on several Panasonic uprights that had auto cord rewinds and the company copied Hoover UK in the 1980s by fitting the auto cord rewind at the top recess just above or below the carry handle. Panasonic got so fed up with recalled vacuums that they stopped auto cord rewinds on their 1990 vacuums. Physically by design if a motor that rewinds a cable from the floor upwards all the time at the end of cleaning, its no wonder that the weight and pull of the plug and associated cord weakens the mechanism over time. The Mach 6 in the UK (by Vax/TTi) and the old Vax VX series have auto cord rewinds located at the bottom which is a much better thought out idea. Still, though it is something that is "another thing," like to go wrong over time.

Carmine - I had no idea that Dyson fitted a manual adjuster on the DC28. How does it work? Does it follow the standard that there are selective notches/dial style that the owner can adjust themselves to different carpet heights or something completely different?

From the dyson web site:

Airmuscle™ technology

Airmuscle™ technology

DC28 Animal combines three cleaner head technologies, each precisely adjusting to clean every floor type thoroughly.

Explore Airmuscle™ technology

Fingertip controls

Fingertip controls

Automatically adjusts (or de-activates) the brush bar for different floor types using a powered cam. No bending down. No awkward dials.

DC28 defaults to the medium pile position when powered up and until adjusted by the user to another rug setting.  HOOVER used a very similar fingertip control, no dials and no bending down, in its oft maligned Z upright which debutted in 2005, 4 years before the AirMuscle technology was introed by dyson. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jul 6, 2010 2:36 am
vacmanuk wrote:

With the HOOVER cordwinder recall, the issue was the leads inside the winder pulling off/apart with user pulling too hard.  Not the plug.  Since 2005, the HOOVER bagless Elite Rewind upright, which sells for $90 to $110 by most retailers now in US, has used a cordwinder without any problems/issues based on my reading and research.  The complaint/issue most often cited with the HOOVER Elite rewind is the cord length, called short by some at 24 feet, not its mechanism.  At the current price, it is a budget model that is a popular seller among most US retailers.  No cord rewind problems so far after 5 years of sales to my knowledge. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #16   Jul 6, 2010 7:13 am
Interesting about the Dyson but as you know I've never gone past the DC07..

Regardless of cord winder problems most brands just won't go there with auto cord rewinds in the UK. The reason being that they think the mechanism will break and SEBO also have the same feelings. Much as I'd love an auto cord rewind on my X1.1 and X4, with the daily abuse the existing cord gets anyway, I doubt that any auto cord rewind would stand the length of the machine's long lasting ability. Electrolux have started putting a cord rewind on the back of their latest uprights the "@ease" models, the same models the U.S have had for some time:

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jul 6, 2010 7:22 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Interesting about the Dyson but as you know I've never gone past the DC07..

Regardless of cord winder problems most brands just won't go there with auto cord rewinds in the UK. The reason being that they think the mechanism will break and SEBO also have the same feelings. Much as I'd love an auto cord rewind on my X1.1 and X4, with the daily abuse the existing cord gets anyway, I doubt that any auto cord rewind would stand the length of the machine's long lasting ability. Electrolux have started putting a cord rewind on the back of their latest uprights the "@ease" models, the same models the U.S have had for some time:

The Electrolux lightweight Intensity bagged upright from 2005, and still sold today, uses a cordwinder.  From what I hear and see, the winder feature works well.  The model is now sold at budget prices too in the USA about $100.  I disagree with you on the feature's inclusion.  IMO uprights will start, already have, to move toward cordwinders.  The latest is the new LG Kompressor.  Many canisters already do.  Why should consumers feel different for them on uprights?

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #18   Jul 6, 2010 7:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
The Electrolux lightweight Intensity bagged upright from 2005, and still sold today, uses a cordwinder.  From what I hear and see, the winder feature works well.  The model is now sold at budget prices too in the USA about $100.  I disagree with you on the feature's inclusion.  IMO uprights will start, already have, to move toward cordwinders.  The latest is the new LG Kompressor.  Many canisters already do.  Why should consumers feel different for them on uprights?

Carmine D.

I guess its personal choice. Could you imagine an auto cord rewind on an Oreck? Would they be able to tie it in to match the current weight or do you think it would adjust the total weight? This gets me thinking about a few things, namely brands that I'm aware of who aren't out to make life easier for the consumer. Dont know about the U.S but in the UK we are having to suffer with a few things that could make life easier? Why don't all uprights have the following features, for example such as:

* Long hose or a hose that compacts into itself like the Miele hose extender idea on their cylinders, thus not having to whip out an extendable longer hose that has to store somewhere else each time you are required to clean?
* Auto cord rewinds.
* Brush on / off control (only high end models like TTi, Miele, Sebo have them)
* Free spares like filters and belts. Nothing worse than having to buy a bagless cheapie only to find that there are no spare filters or belts.

This week for example I've tested a TTi inspired upright in the form of a high street goods shop (Argos) with their own Argos Value bagged upright. It is based on a Vax model but it may well appear in the U.S under a different brand any time soon. It is very plasticky although it does the job very well whilst remaining lightweight. So you can imagine the fun I had when I found 6 screws in the box it came in. Since the price was so cheap *and unheard of around £37 (currently $56.13) you can imagine the fun I had having to screw the bin assembly to the main motor, then the clip on tool attachment had to be screwed in, then the handle had to be screwed in and then finally the top cord wrap/carry handle. Took me the best part of 15 minutes and a tiny crosshead screwdriver. The MECCANO idea of building a vacuum didn't impress me much having to put screws into get the thing going!!!

Argos Value VU-201 Bagged Upright Cleaner

Now the ONLY thing that this came with was a couple of free dust bags. The Bagless version however came with a spare filter.
This message was modified Jul 6, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jul 6, 2010 8:05 am
vacmanuk wrote:
I guess its personal choice. Could you imagine an auto cord rewind on an Oreck? Would they be able to tie it in to match the current weight or do you think it would adjust the total weight? This gets me thinking about a few things, namely brands that I'm aware of who aren't out to make life easier for the consumer. Dont know about the U.S but in the UK we are having to suffer with a few things that could make life easier? Why don't all uprights have the following features, for example such as:

* Long hose or a hose that compacts into itself like the Miele hose extender idea on their cylinders, thus not having to whip out an extendable longer hose that has to store somewhere else each time you are required to clean?
* Auto cord rewinds.
* Brush on / off control (only high end models like TTi, Miele, Sebo have them)
* Free spares like filters and belts. Nothing worse than having to buy a bagless cheapie only to find that there are no spare filters or belts.

This week for example I've tested a TTi inspired upright in the form of a high street goods shop (Argos) with their own Argos Value bagged upright. It is based on a Vax model but it may well appear in the U.S under a different brand any time soon. It is very plasticky although it does the job very well whilst remaining lightweight. So you can imagine the fun I had when I found 6 screws in the box it came in. Since the price was so cheap *and unheard of around £37 (currently $56.13) you can imagine the fun I had having to screw the bin assembly to the main motor, then the clip on tool attachment had to be screwed in, then the handle had to be screwed in and then finally the top cord wrap/carry handle. Took me the best part of 15 minutes and a tiny crosshead screwdriver. The MECCANO idea of building a vacuum didn't impress me much having to put screws into get the thing going!!!
Now the ONLY thing that this came with was a couple of free dust bags. The Bagless version however came with a spare filter.

Not with the current US ORECK gauge cord which meets OSHA requirements for commercial grade.  Too wide for winder use. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 10, 2011 7:25 am
Latest on HOOVER Recall's

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/09/hoover-vacuum-recall-can-short-circuit-catch-fire/

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #21   Feb 10, 2011 9:07 am
CarmineD wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/09/hoover-vacuum-recall-can-short-circuit-catch-fire/

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I also received a recall alert re the T-series bagless upright this morning.

http://isurfhopkins.com/local-news/9759-hoover-vacuums-recalled-due-to-fire-and-shock-hazard.html?tmpl=component

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I also received a recall alert re the T-series bagless upright this morning.

http://isurfhopkins.com/local-news/9759-hoover-vacuums-recalled-due-to-fire-and-shock-hazard.html?tmpl=component

Venson

Hi Venson:

The T series cord rewind recall is the subject of the thread and if I'm correct first dates back to May 2010.  The Hoover WT cann is China made.  The WT up is Mexican made.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #23   Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

The T series cord rewind recall is the subject of the thread and if I'm correct first dates back to May 2010.  The Hoover WT cann is China made.  The WT up is Mexican made.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine.  So much for speedy info delivery.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #24   Feb 11, 2011 7:08 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine.  So much for speedy info delivery.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Yes and No.  Due to the nature of vacuum sales, it's not uncommon for recall notices to be repeated 6 to 9 months after the initial notification.  Especially if the number of units presented after the first recall notification does not match up to the production numbers of the suspected products in need of repair. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 12, 2011 7:20 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

I noted that local TV news reporting stations/channels yesterday covered the HOOVER recall on the canister WRT the power head pig-tail cord.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42