Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Hoover Recall
Original Message   Jun 2, 2010 11:38 am
Hoover Recalls Upright Vacuum Cleaners Due to Fire and Shock Hazards U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 27, 2010 Release #10-248 Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 891-2054 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908 Hoover Recalls Upright Vacuum Cleaners Due to Fire and Shock Hazards WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. Name of Product: Hoover(r) WindTunnel T-Series(tm) Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners with Cord Rewind Feature Units: About 108,000 Importer: Hoover Inc., of Glenwillow, Ohio Hazard: The power cord is not properly routed or securely seated in the cord rewind assembly allowing the power cord to be pulled loose. This poses fire and shock hazards. Incidents/Injuries: Hoover has received three reports of minor burns to carpet and furniture and one report of a minor burn to a consumer's hand. Description: This recall involves Hoover(r) WindTunnel T-Series(tm) Bagless Upright vacuum cleaners with the cord rewind feature. This feature enables the cord to wind inside the vacuum for storage. The following model numbers and manufacturing codes are included in the recall. Model Numbers / Manufacturing code ends with... UH70110 UH70120 / HO9A O9A UH70200 UH70205 / JO9A KO9A UH70210 Vacuums with the manufacturing code KO9A followed by a green dot are not included in this recall. Vacuum cleaners with the cord rewind feature sold after November 2009 and with any other manufacturing code are not included in this recall. The model number and manufacturing code can be found on a label on the lower rear part of the vacuum cleaner. Sold at: Mass merchandisers, department stores and independent vacuum retailers nationwide and online from August 2009 through May 2010 for between $100 and $160. Manufactured in: Mexico Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled vacuum cleaners and contact Hoover for a free repair. Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Hoover toll-free at (888) 891-2054 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.hoover.com/tseriesrewindrecall To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10248.html
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Hoover Recall
Reply #16   Jul 6, 2010 7:13 am
Interesting about the Dyson but as you know I've never gone past the DC07..

Regardless of cord winder problems most brands just won't go there with auto cord rewinds in the UK. The reason being that they think the mechanism will break and SEBO also have the same feelings. Much as I'd love an auto cord rewind on my X1.1 and X4, with the daily abuse the existing cord gets anyway, I doubt that any auto cord rewind would stand the length of the machine's long lasting ability. Electrolux have started putting a cord rewind on the back of their latest uprights the "@ease" models, the same models the U.S have had for some time:

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jul 6, 2010 7:22 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Interesting about the Dyson but as you know I've never gone past the DC07..

Regardless of cord winder problems most brands just won't go there with auto cord rewinds in the UK. The reason being that they think the mechanism will break and SEBO also have the same feelings. Much as I'd love an auto cord rewind on my X1.1 and X4, with the daily abuse the existing cord gets anyway, I doubt that any auto cord rewind would stand the length of the machine's long lasting ability. Electrolux have started putting a cord rewind on the back of their latest uprights the "@ease" models, the same models the U.S have had for some time:

The Electrolux lightweight Intensity bagged upright from 2005, and still sold today, uses a cordwinder.  From what I hear and see, the winder feature works well.  The model is now sold at budget prices too in the USA about $100.  I disagree with you on the feature's inclusion.  IMO uprights will start, already have, to move toward cordwinders.  The latest is the new LG Kompressor.  Many canisters already do.  Why should consumers feel different for them on uprights?

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #18   Jul 6, 2010 7:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
The Electrolux lightweight Intensity bagged upright from 2005, and still sold today, uses a cordwinder.  From what I hear and see, the winder feature works well.  The model is now sold at budget prices too in the USA about $100.  I disagree with you on the feature's inclusion.  IMO uprights will start, already have, to move toward cordwinders.  The latest is the new LG Kompressor.  Many canisters already do.  Why should consumers feel different for them on uprights?

Carmine D.

I guess its personal choice. Could you imagine an auto cord rewind on an Oreck? Would they be able to tie it in to match the current weight or do you think it would adjust the total weight? This gets me thinking about a few things, namely brands that I'm aware of who aren't out to make life easier for the consumer. Dont know about the U.S but in the UK we are having to suffer with a few things that could make life easier? Why don't all uprights have the following features, for example such as:

* Long hose or a hose that compacts into itself like the Miele hose extender idea on their cylinders, thus not having to whip out an extendable longer hose that has to store somewhere else each time you are required to clean?
* Auto cord rewinds.
* Brush on / off control (only high end models like TTi, Miele, Sebo have them)
* Free spares like filters and belts. Nothing worse than having to buy a bagless cheapie only to find that there are no spare filters or belts.

This week for example I've tested a TTi inspired upright in the form of a high street goods shop (Argos) with their own Argos Value bagged upright. It is based on a Vax model but it may well appear in the U.S under a different brand any time soon. It is very plasticky although it does the job very well whilst remaining lightweight. So you can imagine the fun I had when I found 6 screws in the box it came in. Since the price was so cheap *and unheard of around £37 (currently $56.13) you can imagine the fun I had having to screw the bin assembly to the main motor, then the clip on tool attachment had to be screwed in, then the handle had to be screwed in and then finally the top cord wrap/carry handle. Took me the best part of 15 minutes and a tiny crosshead screwdriver. The MECCANO idea of building a vacuum didn't impress me much having to put screws into get the thing going!!!

Argos Value VU-201 Bagged Upright Cleaner

Now the ONLY thing that this came with was a couple of free dust bags. The Bagless version however came with a spare filter.
This message was modified Jul 6, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jul 6, 2010 8:05 am
vacmanuk wrote:
I guess its personal choice. Could you imagine an auto cord rewind on an Oreck? Would they be able to tie it in to match the current weight or do you think it would adjust the total weight? This gets me thinking about a few things, namely brands that I'm aware of who aren't out to make life easier for the consumer. Dont know about the U.S but in the UK we are having to suffer with a few things that could make life easier? Why don't all uprights have the following features, for example such as:

* Long hose or a hose that compacts into itself like the Miele hose extender idea on their cylinders, thus not having to whip out an extendable longer hose that has to store somewhere else each time you are required to clean?
* Auto cord rewinds.
* Brush on / off control (only high end models like TTi, Miele, Sebo have them)
* Free spares like filters and belts. Nothing worse than having to buy a bagless cheapie only to find that there are no spare filters or belts.

This week for example I've tested a TTi inspired upright in the form of a high street goods shop (Argos) with their own Argos Value bagged upright. It is based on a Vax model but it may well appear in the U.S under a different brand any time soon. It is very plasticky although it does the job very well whilst remaining lightweight. So you can imagine the fun I had when I found 6 screws in the box it came in. Since the price was so cheap *and unheard of around £37 (currently $56.13) you can imagine the fun I had having to screw the bin assembly to the main motor, then the clip on tool attachment had to be screwed in, then the handle had to be screwed in and then finally the top cord wrap/carry handle. Took me the best part of 15 minutes and a tiny crosshead screwdriver. The MECCANO idea of building a vacuum didn't impress me much having to put screws into get the thing going!!!
Now the ONLY thing that this came with was a couple of free dust bags. The Bagless version however came with a spare filter.

Not with the current US ORECK gauge cord which meets OSHA requirements for commercial grade.  Too wide for winder use. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 10, 2011 7:25 am
Latest on HOOVER Recall's

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/09/hoover-vacuum-recall-can-short-circuit-catch-fire/

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #21   Feb 10, 2011 9:07 am
CarmineD wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/09/hoover-vacuum-recall-can-short-circuit-catch-fire/

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I also received a recall alert re the T-series bagless upright this morning.

http://isurfhopkins.com/local-news/9759-hoover-vacuums-recalled-due-to-fire-and-shock-hazard.html?tmpl=component

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I also received a recall alert re the T-series bagless upright this morning.

http://isurfhopkins.com/local-news/9759-hoover-vacuums-recalled-due-to-fire-and-shock-hazard.html?tmpl=component

Venson

Hi Venson:

The T series cord rewind recall is the subject of the thread and if I'm correct first dates back to May 2010.  The Hoover WT cann is China made.  The WT up is Mexican made.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #23   Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

The T series cord rewind recall is the subject of the thread and if I'm correct first dates back to May 2010.  The Hoover WT cann is China made.  The WT up is Mexican made.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine.  So much for speedy info delivery.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #24   Feb 11, 2011 7:08 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine.  So much for speedy info delivery.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Yes and No.  Due to the nature of vacuum sales, it's not uncommon for recall notices to be repeated 6 to 9 months after the initial notification.  Especially if the number of units presented after the first recall notification does not match up to the production numbers of the suspected products in need of repair. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 12, 2011 7:20 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

I noted that local TV news reporting stations/channels yesterday covered the HOOVER recall on the canister WRT the power head pig-tail cord.

Carmine D.

Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42