Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson in the news
Original Message   May 29, 2010 10:01 am
Dyson has this week released details of their end of year 2009 performance and generally paints a positive picture. Highlights include:-

• Despite the recession, global sales for the company increased 23% to 770m GBP
  • Operating profits more than doubled from 90m to 190m GBP
  • The Dyson Air Multiplier is a top seller in Australia; within 6 weeks, representing 64% of the market for desk fans, by value.
  • In the UK and US markets, the updated 'ball' range represents more than half of the Dyson cleaners sold.
  • In the UK, the company has a total market share for vacuum cleaners, by value, of 40%.
  • Dyson is the market leader for vacuum cleaner sales (by value) in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand.

Looking ahead, the company talks about new product launches scheduled towards the end of 2010 - a fair number of which (my speculation) are likely to continue the trend of offering a completive advantage by using digital motor technology. Ironically, a technology originally developed for use in their full-size vacuums, while all current models continue to use traditional motors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dyson-profits-double-thanks-to-rd-investment-1983841.html

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/10603/Dyson_cleans_up

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/channel/Entrepreneurship/news/1006022/sales-vacuum-dyson-gadgets-cost-worth-paying/

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/25296/Dyson-doubles-operating-profits.aspx - note: this has the statement 'The company has also confirmed plans to launch a robotic version of its bagless vacuum cleaner' - dunno if that's significant, but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere.

Replies: 81 - 90 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Dyson in the news
Reply #81   Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I went by a local K-Mart today and saw that it is open 24 hours.  Also noted that there was not a dyson to be seen, not a display, brochure, and/or part like filters and tools.  Gone.  Lock stock and barrel.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I wonder what they're doing. The K-Mart website is overloaded with Dyson vacs AND fans no less.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?keyword=dyson

Do chain store branches have the option to independently decide not to stock?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #82   Nov 22, 2010 4:54 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I wonder what they're doing. The K-Mart website is overloaded with Dyson vacs AND fans no less.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?keyword=dyson

Do chain store branches have the option to independently decide not to stock?

Venson

Hello Venson:

Yes, store managers for retailers have flexibility to stock/not to stock product in their stores as long as the brands and models are sanctioned by their Corporate Office.  In this store's case, the dyson vacuum products are being outsold by other vacuum brands and models and have been for quite awhile.  So a joint local-Corporate management decision was made to ditch in-store dysons.  In the current economy, and based on the vacuum competition, dyson vacuums on the K-Mart web site right now will probably sell as well as the dyson fans. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #83   Nov 25, 2010 7:13 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
My store is open on Thanksgiving, and I cannot wait for the lack of traffic on that day. Sears is a sinking ship, and is desperate for any strategy to bring in customers and sales.

Hi all,

I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to ask -- who went shopping or worked in the stores this grand Thanksgiving day and what did you see?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #84   Nov 26, 2010 7:46 am
Venson wrote:
Hi all,

I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to ask -- who went shopping or worked in the stores this grand Thanksgiving day and what did you see?

Venson

Hi Venson:  Don't know if you are a daily hard copy newspaper suscriber.  After perusing the sales and ads, I'd say dyson was by far the biggest advertised vacuum product by big box retailers with the largest discounts offered: 25-35-50 percent from MSRP. 

Carmine D. 

Venson

Reply #85   Nov 26, 2010 8:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:  Don't know if you are a daily hard copy newspaper suscriber.  After perusing the sales and ads, I'd say dyson was by far the biggest advertised vacuum product by big box retailers with the largest discounts offered: 25-35-50 percent from MSRP. 

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

No need for newspapers around here. I haven't had a cat, bird or puppy for years.

I generally get my news off the net from all sorts of sources but mainly by way of the New York Times online. I also use Google for news alerts re vacuums. An interesting article re Dyson pricing in the UK appeared today. I pretty sure vacmanuk knows the skinny for real.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/nov/25/vacuum-cleaner-price-check

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #86   Nov 26, 2010 2:26 pm
This is what dyson is offering its owners on-line for the next 3 days.  Not really that good.

Carmine D.

DysonNot displaying correctly? See email in full | Unsubscribe

15% Off new Dyson vacuums
 We're running a special 3 day promotion on our website for Black Friday. As a Dyson owner, we wanted you to know first. 

Until midnight EST on November 28, 2010, you can buy any new Dyson vacuum on Dyson.com with 15% off plus free shipping. It includes the latest Dyson Ball™ machines, such as the ultra-compact DC24 Animal, and the powerful new Dyson handhelds.

Visit the online store

Abbreviated Terms: The 15% off Black Friday promotion will be in effect on Dyson.com from 12:01 a.m. EST, Friday, November 26, 2010 until 11:59 p.m. EST, Sunday, November 28, 2010. This offer is only valid while supplies last. This offer applies to the purchase of a new Dyson upright, canister or handheld vacuum cleaner product only. Excludes: parts, accessories, Dyson Air Multiplier™ fans and refurbished vacuum cleaner products. This offer may only be modified by a Dyson representative. Dyson reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time. Full terms and conditions are on the Dyson website.

CarmineD

Reply #87   Dec 4, 2010 7:08 am
Venson wrote:
Hi all,

Venson

Some details, Venson.  [Don't know if the NPD link shed any light on this].  Cyber Monday registered record returns for on line orders.  Number of people logging onto web sites hit record levels.  Compared to Black Friday, Cyber Monday on line sales were 31 percent higher.  Average order increased by 2.1% aided by increase in luxury good sales.  AMAZON was biggest winner on cyber Monday.  Wal*Mart next.  Then TARGET......  BEST BUY, KOHL's, SEARS were all in top 10. BEST BUY cyber Monday sales increased 50% and best ever.  Overall cyber Monday sales rose 19.4 % over last year which tops 14 % [last year] which was the highest in 7 years.

So based on early returns Christmas sales are off to a good start.  Too early to tell if the momentum will continue.  Retailers have offered biggest discounts in years and stretched out the sales season.  Two factors could combine to result in minimal growth at best for holiday sales season. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #88   Dec 6, 2010 9:19 am
CarmineD wrote:
Some details, Venson.  [Don't know if the NPD link shed any light on this].  Cyber Monday registered record returns for on line orders.  Number of people logging onto web sites hit record levels.  Compared to Black Friday, Cyber Monday on line sales were 31 percent higher.  Average order increased by 2.1% aided by increase in luxury good sales.  AMAZON was biggest winner on cyber Monday.  Wal*Mart next.  Then TARGET......  BEST BUY, KOHL's, SEARS were all in top 10. BEST BUY cyber Monday sales increased 50% and best ever.  Overall cyber Monday sales rose 19.4 % over last year which tops 14 % [last year] which was the highest in 7 years.

So based on early returns Christmas sales are off to a good start.  Too early to tell if the momentum will continue.  Retailers have offered biggest discounts in years and stretched out the sales season.  Two factors could combine to result in minimal growth at best for holiday sales season. 

Carmine D.

I've received email ads from several big box retailers that they are continuing cyber Monday sales prices today too, on vacuums. 

Carmine D. 

Venson

Reply #89   Jan 16, 2011 10:39 am
Good morning all,

I was browsing the daily vacuum news alerts I'm hooked up for and came across an article about the new DC35 Dyson Digital Slim -- "the world’s most powerful lightweight, cordless cleaner."   I'm usually not all that interested in Dyson announcements but due to the manufacturer's claims -- a motor that peaks at 104,000 rpm, 22.2 volt lithium battery, anti-static carbon fiber brushes to improve dust pick-up on bare floors  (huh??), 15-minute runtime per charge and the vacuum's body being made from carbon fiber which the company claims is, pound for pound, stronger than steel -- I'm including a link so that you may make your own decisions.  Don't know whether the thing works well or not but, economy considered,  I assume we may be glad as the article says the motor department was upped by 30 employees during this cleaner's ten years of development.

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8789084.A_new_magic_wand_in_Malmesbury_for_Dyson_/

Great picture of Lord Jimmy too, nearly weilding the DC35 as though it were Excalibur.

Happy Sunday,

Venson

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #90   Jan 16, 2011 2:20 pm
Hi Venson:

One error I spied from reading the narrative is the run time.  Artilce says 15 minutes on a charge.  According the dyson web site the 15 minutes is in the low setting with straight suction only.  Add the brush attachment and the run time drops to 13 minutes [in low mode].  In the extra suction mode the run time falls to 6 minutes.  Dyson site doesn't say with/without the brush attachment for the high speed run time.  I noted [someone correct me if I'm wrong and missed it] that dyson foregoes the air watt rating on this gem in its official web site narrative.  Maybe it cleans by magic rather than air watts......

I  believe we had this exchange before on the thread on DC35 Slim.  But it was awhile back.  So I take no credit whatsoever for my above post but defer instead to the original poster  who posted this already.  It may have even been me since this sounds very familiar to me and my thought stream on this magic cleaning wand.

Carmine D.

PS:  The dyson site does indicate air watts for the DC35 Slim at 65 AW for high [6 minute run time]  and 28 AW for low [at 15 minute run time unless used with brush attachment and it falls to 13 minutes].  This is a degradation of air watts for DC35 in low speed compared to DC31 hand held which is rated at 38 AW on low speed BUT ONLY 10 MINUTES of run.  Dyson increased the run time on DC35 Slim over the DC31 by lowering the AW rating.  Nice twist of magic. 

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by CarmineD
Replies: 81 - 90 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42