Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > carpet types that cause vacuums to fail

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Original Message   May 26, 2010 1:54 pm
Several people have commented that Oreck's aren't in general heavy duty vacuums.  So what carpet types are Oreck's most appropriate for?   I believe CR gave most of the Oreck's tested in the last several years scores of good to very good for cleaning medium pile carpeting.   

Carmine has mentioned the failure of a Dyson DC07 on wool carpeting. 

I would think that deep shag and berber carpeting would have special challenges different from medium pile carpeting.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Reply #1   May 26, 2010 4:45 pm
This topic couldn't arrive at a better time. Ive recently read a review on Epinions about one buyer in particular who has reviewed their Oreck after buying the new Platinum model that swivels. (http://www1.epinions.com/review/Oreck_XL_Platinum_Pilot_Vacuum/content_509893578372). Their particular problem isn't so much carpet but: "...What I found was that it was a good machine on low pile carpet, but not good on area rugs or plush carpet. It did not do so hot on hard surfaces. I felt sand spitting out and scattering in all directions. *The light shows this very clearly! ..."
CarmineD

Reply #2   May 26, 2010 5:00 pm
Interestingly some of criticisms typical of ORECK, like noisey, is not a criticism by this user.  The statement that says it all is:

"Do I think Oreck makes a good machine well...yes!  They give you 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't love it!  Additionally this bad boy comes with a 10 year warranty and free annual tune ups too!  So yes, I think they make a good machine...but not for me.  "

I believe the user says that he will go back to a full size vacuum instead.  That's fine.  At some point he may change his mind [or his spouse may] and decide I think its time for the ORECK.  Until then, he's lost nothing to return it and decide to use a full size, which will be a bagged vacuum and not bagless according to his review.

BTW, he was criticl for the ORECK for leaving grooming patterns and areas in his carpet after using.  Perhaps somebody needs to tell him that means the ORECK is doing the job properly. 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #3   May 26, 2010 5:54 pm
When I was shopping a few years ago I went into a Oreck Clean Home Store.  Wonderful, friendly, low pressure people.    What the man told me was the Oreck did not do well on the Frizze or Shag style carpeting.  It excells on low pile and Berber.  On Plush style carpeting it will groom and pull surface litter, but don't expect too much deep cleaning.
retardturtle1

Reply #4   May 26, 2010 5:58 pm
We use the orecks throughout the county buildings and other commercial accounts.....we have about 15 in use everyday all the time. Its proven itself to be one of the most durable cleaners we use....year after year....but proper maint. every 6mos has been the key to its long abused life.

On commercial/low carpet it does very good.....med/contractor apt grade carpet ,,does good if its in good condition and not worn and matted down..on carpeted mats and rubber types it does very good..I think it does better on grouted type tile [less to no scatter] then on flat smooth vinyl.

Altho not a vacuum for all...its a great vacuum for most. A heavy-duty commercial vac you can also use in the home....by far not the deep cleaner/nap resetting vacuum a tempo is........but a great muliti surface tool it is.

turtle

budmattingly

Reply #5   May 26, 2010 8:16 pm
I just bought the Electrolux Duralite also know as the Sanitaire Duralite. It is designed after the Eureka Ultra. I had a Eureka Ultra and wished I had kept it. I had hoped that they may eventually bring it back. Well this vacuum uses the same type bag the Ultra used, Style Z. The Ultra had a Vibra Groomer II, while this one has a wooden brush roll and different base plate. If the base plate wasn't a different style a Vibra Groomer II would work in it. This vacuum is 5 amps. Even at 5 amps this vacuum is very powerfull. These are also being sold on QVC. In reading the reviews people were saying this is not good removing pet hair on carpeting, but great on bare floors. After much testing the problem seems to be this. It is self adjusting and with a new bag in it the brush roll will stall or slow down. I even changed the belt to make sure. Once the bag gets some household dirt in it and the airflow is decreased  the problem disappears. I changed the bag and same thing happens...I have short plush carpeting in my home. It is only 3 years old. This vacuum would work great for business or low nap carpeting but probably would not work on very plush carpeting. I am keeping it all the same and put it in my collection for a keeper. I think I know a fix for this. The base plate also houses the front wheels. These wheels need to be a little larger than the ones on it, perhaps Electrolux will realize this and correct the problem.

In my case, it is not the carpet causing my Electrolux to fail, but a design flaw.

Sincerely,

Bud

One other note: My Eureka Ultra was almost twice as expensive as this vacuum, but the quality was much better. I prefer quality to a cheaper price. Also, one of the reasons I like the Ultra so well was the great easy change bag. That is still the same on the new Electrolux.

Improvements over the Ultra

Dual zipper outer bag.

Things I liked better on the Ultra

Vibra Groomer II

More slim line design

Did not stall out on any type of carpet and I believe it had a 6 amp motor

Attachment set was available for it if needed

Button for suction control on front of nozzle. I always used it on normal, unless using the attachements and needed a lower suction

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #6   May 27, 2010 12:12 am
So is it fair to say that if you have low pile carpeting, the top rated Hoover Windtunnel in the leading consumer magazine is probably overkill and not a good fit?  Just as a Oreck may not be a good fit for deep pile carpeting? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #7   May 27, 2010 6:23 am
Severus wrote:
So is it fair to say that if you have low pile carpeting, the top rated Hoover Windtunnel in the leading consumer magazine is probably overkill and not a good fit?  Just as a Oreck may not be a good fit for deep pile carpeting? 

Low pile carpeting, especially that with an evenly cut pile should be relatively easy to clean with just about anything save for situations where sizable abundances of pet hair accumulate.  A` vacuum that's fast and effective on deep pile may not necessarily be overkill.  (Overkill is more often an issue of how much you put yourself out on a limb for pricewise.)  If the vacuum also serves well for other cleaning tasks around the house then it's a solid asset.

As for Oreck, you must always consider the households it may serve in.  That matter, as with any other vacuum type or brand, is always varied. Rug cleaning needs are definitely different household to household and are magnified more by way of neglect than machinery.

Keeping deep pile carpet clean and looking good is more likely a real issue if -- it bears a lot of traffic and the owner is not fond of vacuuming.  I honestly believe that if you vacuum frequently, daily or several times a week, your chances of getting up destructive grit, etc., before it's worked all the way down into the rug are good.  Think of it this way, what would your hair look like if instead of combing or brushing it everyday, you opted to tend to it once a week OR every two weeks. Naturally, the longer you overlooked it, the longer it would take to get it in proper order.  Frequent vacuumers have a lot less to worry over in regard to depth of clean or the look of their carpeting.

Oreck is not my favorite machine nor the one I might suggest for someone whose moved into an environment where a "ravaged" rug cannot be replaced but it does serve a purpose and, used properly, may be as valid a buy as any Hoover depending upon the user's likes and frequency of use.  Really ratty appearing rugs can experience improvement with regular thorough professional cleaning where possible and vacuuming often as needed as opposed to when you feel like it.  Been there, done that and with the vacuum I had but not the vacuum I liked.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #8   May 27, 2010 6:41 am
Severus wrote:

I have to come down on the same side as Venson WRT this statement.  Depends on the amount of low pile carpet to clean and how often you vacuum.  HOOVER WT may be just what the vacuum doctor ordered if you have 1500-2000 plus sq foot of low pile carpet and vacuum 1 or 2 a week.  On the other hand an ORECK is the best fit for 400 sq foot of high thick woven wool white carpet vacuumed daily.  Especially if the user for the latter is an older man/woman.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #9   May 27, 2010 6:59 am

Electrolux EL9025A Duralite Pro Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Electrolux EL9025A Duralite Pro Upright Vacuum Cleaner - click to enlarge
Features
Specifications
  • Specially designed 5-amp motor moves more air at less RPMs for a longer life and superior energy efficiency
  • The extra wide, clog resistant air path is nearly 3x bigger than the nearest competitor
  • Can lie flat (down to just 6'') to reach under beds and other furniture
  • Magnesium components are lighter than steel or aluminum yet exceptionally durable
  • Crevice and dusting tools stored at your fingertips
  • Large, easy-roll wheels with rubber protects hard surfaces and improves mobility
  • Dual-edge cleaning for easy cleaning along baseboards
  • Positive lock, wear resistant magnesium handle release and magnesium dual-support handle socket and bag assembly for exceptional durability
  • Power: 5 amps
  • Filtration Type: CRI Green Clean Approved
  • Capacity: 6.6 quarts
  • Brush Type: -
  • Cleaning Path: -
  • Hose Length: -
  • Power Cord: 30'
  • Attachments: Crevice tool, dusting brush
    Dimensions and Weight
  • Size: 44.5H x 12.75''W x 11.75''D
  • Weight: 12 lbs.
    Warranty:
  • 2 years

Shipping Weight: 15.00 lbs.

UPC: 023169121973

Please note:
    This appliance complies with the U.S. Electrical Standard.

Please note:
    This appliance complies with the U.S. Electrical Standard.

This message was modified May 27, 2010 by CarmineD
    Severus

Reply #10   May 27, 2010 11:55 am
    Just for the sake of argument, I think I will disagree.   If it's true that almost any vacuum will clean low pile carpeting, would you really want to use a vacuum that has a very aggressive brush roll?   There are certainly a lot of Kenmores, Panasonics, and European brands with softer brushes.     Just because the Windtunnel is optimal for medium pile carpeting, is it really optimal for low level carpeting? 

vacmanuk

Reply #11   May 27, 2010 12:57 pm
    For all that I'm not a fan of Oreck I must say Ive found them to be great for deep thick carpeting. The wooden brush rolls and thick bushy bristles are perfect for deep carpeting. Sebo's X suffers with high pile deep thick carpeting though - the sensor gets confused and can't lift the floor head high enough. For low carpet though Sebo's X models are brilliant. I've found the most aggressive brush rolls to be Dyson uprights.
    CarmineD

Reply #12   May 27, 2010 1:20 pm
    Severus wrote:
    Just for the sake of argument, I think I will disagree.   If it's true that almost any vacuum will clean low pile carpeting, would you really want to use a vacuum that has a very aggressive brush roll?   There are certainly a lot of Kenmores, Panasonics, and European brands with softer brushes.     Just because the Windtunnel is optimal for medium pile carpeting, is it really optimal for low level carpeting? 

Not completely true to mw SEVERUS.  An excellent example to me is the latest HOOVER lightweight bagged upright.  It is higher up off the carpet than the ORECK due to the larger wheels.  Does ok but not nearly as well IMHO as an ORECK.  Can't adjust the height on either the ORECK and/or HOOVER lightweight.  But the height can be adjusted on a HOOVER WT and/or HOOVER TEMPO for low pile carpet.  I certainly would not want to use a 12 inch cleaning swath on an ORECK and/or HOOVER lightweight for 1500-2000 plus sq feet of low pile carpet.  Takes too long.  I would use the 15 inch plus cleaning swath on a TEMPO or WT in a heart beat on this area of low pile carpeting. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #13   May 27, 2010 2:58 pm
    Severus wrote:

Aggressive is a broad term.  Not forgetting that new carpeting usually gives up lots of loose fibers, as long as a brushroll with firm tufts of bristles does not pull up, cut or unravel carpet fibers all should be fine. A decent vacuum cleaner is designed to manage all standard pile heights.  There's no sense or practicality in making or buying a machine that works well with only one carpet type.  As well, there's no sense in producing modern carpeting that hasn't the strength to bear regular vacuuming.

If a vacuum is good on medium and high pile, then one might hope it will be all the more thorough and quick on low pile and cut your work time.

Performance on low pile as it is easy to clean to my knowledge has never been used as an example in selling.  You can't push the "deep clean" hype with it.  That has more to do with our secret longing to live like rich folks.  Thus, in the name of comfort, we're more prone go for harder to clean thick pile of affordable man-made fiber.

The larger part of the world hasn't a clue as to which machines have aggressive brushrolls.  The persons to who that may be of real concern would probably be museum curators or purveyors of antique carpeting.  Any kind of carpet requring a careful preservation regemin should be be cleaned using a straight suction rug nozzle (note that I said nothing about using your upright with the brushroll off) if there is the slightest question or concern regarding damage from vacuuming.  If there was a substantial amount of public demand for different grade brushrolls or an appreciable amount of complaint about unnecessary rug wear, I'm sure the option would be offered.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #14   May 27, 2010 6:08 pm
    Severus wrote:

I agree to a point....although most do well on low carpet , some do far better and are eisier to use. The orecks we use do well in the offices and cubicals..small courtrooms and kitchenetts/brk rooms. short hallways ect....easy to use and small to fit in those tight spots/areas.

On the larger areas where their is far more surface area to cover we use...panasonics, riccars, tempos, sanit comm..ect ...works out very well among the diverse cleaning staff we have....all are happy [at the moment].

My view is this...an aggressive roller can be ajusted to the situation....or most. better to have more than you need in case you need it than to not have enough when needed.

turtle

Just

Reply #15   May 28, 2010 3:48 pm
    The man at Oreck said that the shag/Frize type carpeting was very hard on the vacuum and the belts because the loser strands on this type of carpeting would wrap around the brush roll and put a strain on the motor and belt.    This was the main reason they didn't recommend Oreck for this type of carpeting.
    CarmineD

Reply #16   May 28, 2010 6:24 pm
    Just wrote:
    The man at Oreck said that the shag/Frize type carpeting was very hard on the vacuum and the belts because the loser strands on this type of carpeting would wrap around the brush roll and put a strain on the motor and belt.    This was the main reason they didn't recommend Oreck for this type of carpeting.

As a rule of thumb, I opine that any vacuum, full size and/or lightweight, that does not have a rug height adjustment and instead calls itself self adjusting, like ORECK and dyson to mention 2 off the top of my head, would not fare well on these types of carpets.  To the credit of ORECK in both oral sales pitches like this one and written literature, it specifically disqualifies itslef on high shag carpets.  Of course, there is nothing to lose with the ORECK's 30 day in home no obligation free trial.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #17   May 28, 2010 7:18 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
    As a rule of thumb, I opine that any vacuum, full size and/or lightweight, that does not have a rug height adjustment and instead calls itself self adjusting, like ORECK and dyson to mention 2 off the top of my head, would not fare well on these types of carpets.  To the credit of ORECK in both oral sales pitches like this one and written literature, it specifically disqualifies itslef on high shag carpets.  Of course, there is nothing to lose with the ORECK's 30 day in home no obligation free trial.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Agree and disagree.....a bi-weekly cleaning of the roller and end caps is a good rule of thumb to follow....and one i try to show my customers.
    The oreck is a pretty great vac....a multi-purpose tool but thicker older style carpets really bog it down.....but the service and nohassle guarentee make it a no lose situation.

The floating head i feel ...just does better. with the proper roller and power it is quite the deep cleaner on the riccars and panasonics....what i prefer and has the brushroll head weight to float or glide across the most demanding carpets..     then again the height ajst on the tempos and sanit comm is hard to beat....so i guess we agree to disagree my friend.

turtle

HARDSELL

Reply #18   May 28, 2010 8:00 pm
    CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Nothing to lose except the carpet if it twists around the brush.
    CarmineD

Reply #19   May 29, 2010 1:27 am
    HARDSELL wrote:
    Nothing to lose except the carpet if it twists around the brush.

Who would have thought an ORECK XL Classic for $150 new could sail across medium pile wool loop rug that bogs down a DC07 for $399 with its gawdawful screeching clutch that stops the brushbar.  The proof was in the using and still doing so after 3 years.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 29, 2010 7:27 am
    CarmineD wrote:
    Who would have thought an ORECK XL Classic for $150 new could sail across medium pile wool loop rug that bogs down a DC07 for $399 with its gawdawful screeching clutch that stops the brushbar.  The proof was in the using and still doing so after 3 years.

Carmine D.

I used my DC07 to vacuum plush wool carpet in a home that I inherited.  The carpet was 40 years old.  The Dyson never faltered and the carpet received no damage.

No doubt the Oreck would sail over your carpet.  They are for surface cleaning only.  I have to admit that I was vacuuming very expensive carpet.  My DC07 may also have failed on a builder grade carpet.

CarmineD

Reply #21   May 29, 2010 7:34 am
    HARDSELL wrote:
    I used my DC07 to vacuum plush wool carpet in a home that I inherited.  The carpet was 40 years old.  The Dyson never faltered and the carpet received no damage.

No doubt the Oreck would sail over your carpet.  They are for surface cleaning only.  I have to admit that I was vacuuming very expensive carpet.  My DC07 may also have failed on a builder grade carpet.

Look at the facts not the fiction.  After only 7 years yours was discontinued by dyson, tho you bailed out of it after only 3 and didn't buy a new dyson.  We know the reason.  You upgraded your carpets, 40 years is a bit seasoned even for my liking.  [Did the carpet maker/installer advise you that the rug warranty was void if you use a dyson like we were told by our home builder and his primary carpet contractor].  After 45 years, the same basic ORECK model is going strong and still certified [Gold, its highest seal of approval] by the Carpet and Rug Institute [unlike your fave brand].  I bought 3 more ORECKs just like it.  $150 for the ORECK versus $399 for a dyson.  Not a hardsell unless you are a hard head.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 29, 2010 by CarmineD
    CarmineD

Reply #22   May 29, 2010 8:39 am
    retardturtle1 wrote:
    Hi Carmine

Agree and disagree.....a bi-weekly cleaning of the roller and end caps is a good rule of thumb to follow....and one i try to show my customers.
    The oreck is a pretty great vac....a multi-purpose tool but thicker older style carpets really bog it down.....but the service and nohassle guarentee make it a no lose situation.

The floating head i feel ...just does better. with the proper roller and power it is quite the deep cleaner on the riccars and panasonics....what i prefer and has the brushroll head weight to float or glide across the most demanding carpets..     then again the height ajst on the tempos and sanit comm is hard to beat....so i guess we agree to disagree my friend.

turtle

Turtle:

WRT carpet types and vacuums, if a home has a diverse mix of carpets and thicknesses, I prefer and recommend the height adjustment over self-floating.  If its wall to wall and all the same same, self-adjusting w/o adjustments would do the trick.  Having said that, I still like to adjust the vacuum height to my own liking rather than let the vacuum do it.  Or if primarily floor with carpeting compliments and smallish in size [1700 sq ft with 1000 floor and 700 carpet], like my home, definitely an ORECK.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #23   May 29, 2010 8:55 am
    CarmineD wrote:
    Look at the facts not the fiction.  After only 7 years yours was discontinued by dyson, tho you bailed out of it after only 3 and didn't buy a new dyson.  We know the reason.  You upgraded your carpets, 40 years is a bit seasoned even for my liking.  After 45 years, the same basic ORECK model is going strong and still.  I bought 3 more just like it.  $150 for the ORECK versus $399 for a dyson.  Not a hardsell unless you are a hard head.

Carmine D.

FACT:

During the 3 years that I owned a Dyson you preached doom and gloom for Dyson on every vacuum forum available.  In desperation to stay afloat Hoover introduced a new SKU every other month.  No improvements, just another model # (mostly).  With each introduction you told us how it that model would be the demise of Dyson.  I told you to get in the life boat before you sunk.  You refused and your ship sunk while I am afloat.  Dyson put a whooping on Hoover.  I was able to sell my DC07 while you had to gift the Hoovers to get them out of the way.  I did not buy another Dyson because I like variety.  Take note that I did not replace the DC07 with an electric broom.  Sorry, I meant Oreck.  Isn't it odd that you are now buying Oreck and not Hoover?  For Oreck's sake I hope that your support for them like it was for Hoover doesn't sink their boat.  They have had top take desperate measures just to stay afloat.  Now in big box stores and advertising low,low,low prices on local TV. 

As usual you can't get your imagined facts seperated from the truth.  I never upgraded any carpet in my home in the last 7 years.

The carpet that I referred to belonged to an 85 year old widow.  It was high quality and never abused so she had no justifiable reason to replace.  Unless she just wanted another look. 40 years is a long time for carpet.  So is 45 years for a vacuum that has not changed with the times.  45 years back carpet was more a luxury than a standard.  I am sure the Oreck cleaned fairly well on the linoleum back then. 

CarmineD

Reply #24   May 29, 2010 1:32 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
     Did the carpet maker/installer advise you that the rug warranty was void if you use a dyson like we were told by our home builder and his primary carpet contractor

FACT:  You didn't answer my question. 

I always know when you're caught.  Your posts get historically fictional and more angry.  Here's the real history.  You were gifted a new dyson DC07, actually a refurb.  You say [to look good] you bought it from BEST BUY and paid an extra $49 for the ESP.  Must really have been impressed with the quality of dyson DC07 and planned to keep it awhile.  One would think since you paid an extra $50. Tried it out for a couple of years on 40 year old carpet.  Nothing changed.  Carpet still looked raggedy.  So you splurged.  You upgraded the worn rug areas with new floors.  Buy a new amount of floors and scrub the raggedy carpet.  Wouldn't you want the best vacuum to protect your investment?  Yes, of course, so what do you do?  You sell your new dyson with the ESP after the rug installer says the rugs have years worth of dirt in it, in the backing, and under.  What do you buy?  A Royal Emminence upright with tools on board for $299 from an indy.  Consumer Reports says the Royal Emminence is mediocre on carpets, just like a dyson DC07 you sold.  What do you do now?  You buy a new Kirby Sentria and alternate vacuuming between both the Kirby and Royal for awhile.  Then you decide ehh, I have to try something else.  In January [or thereabouts] of this year you buy and use [still supposedly] a HOOVER bagged Platinum lightweight.  Like the others, you use it once a week, normally.  It's picking up more dirt than ALL the others {and now you have 250 less sq feet of rug].  Well, dah, of course.  It's a HOOVER with WT technology for $299.  Excellent choice but a full size HOOVER would do the job much quicker.  Even a HOOVER TEMPO w/o WT tech for $85 would be great.  And, you would have saved money on the original purchase and the cost of bags in the future.  Doesn't have to be a hardsell.  You just have to use your head.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #25   May 30, 2010 8:36 am
    CarmineD wrote:
    FACT:  You didn't answer my question. 

I always know when you're caught.  Your posts get historically fictional and more angry.  Here's the real history.  You were gifted a new dyson DC07, actually a refurb.  You say [to look good] you bought it from BEST BUY and paid an extra $49 for the ESP.  Must really have been impressed with the quality of dyson DC07 and planned to keep it awhile.  One would think since you paid an extra $50. Tried it out for a couple of years on 40 year old carpet.  Nothing changed.  Carpet still looked raggedy.  So you splurged.  You upgraded the worn rug areas with new floors.  Buy a new amount of floors and scrub the raggedy carpet.  Wouldn't you want the best vacuum to protect your investment?  Yes, of course, so what do you do?  You sell your new dyson with the ESP after the rug installer says the rugs have years worth of dirt in it, in the backing, and under.  What do you buy?  A Royal Emminence upright with tools on board for $299 from an indy.  Consumer Reports says the Royal Emminence is mediocre on carpets, just like a dyson DC07 you sold.  What do you do now?  You buy a new Kirby Sentria and alternate vacuuming between both the Kirby and Royal for awhile.  Then you decide ehh, I have to try something else.  In January [or thereabouts] of this year you buy and use [still supposedly] a HOOVER bagged Platinum lightweight.  Like the others, you use it once a week, normally.  It's picking up more dirt than ALL the others {and now you have 250 less sq feet of rug].  Well, dah, of course.  It's a HOOVER with WT technology for $299.  Excellent choice but a full size HOOVER would do the job much quicker.  Even a HOOVER TEMPO w/o WT tech for $85 would be great.  And, you would have saved money on the original purchase and the cost of bags in the future.  Doesn't have to be a hardsell.  You just have to use your head.

Carmine D.

FACT:  You are the one who is caught twisting the truth as always.  Your quote that I responded to was prior to your editing the post. Therefore there was no question to answer.  My only anger is with your dishonesty, though I have come to expect it.

I already told you how I won a brand new DC07 from the Oreck salesman.  Actually the ESP was more like $30.  That is hard to pass up when all I had to do was take the vac in and get a brand new replacement if mine failed.  Before you spout off that was the way the ESP worked back then. 

I used it once on the 40 year old carpet to prep it for sale of the home that was inherited (wasn't my residence).  Did you miss that in your haste to waste all of our time?

The carpet that I replaced in my home with wood was exceptionally clean to the padding.  Installer claimed he had never seen carpet as dirt free. 

I did want the best vacuum.  That elimanated Oreck.  Dyson wasn't available when I had my carpet installed.  My carpet is a higher grade than builder grade so I wasn't concerned with damage from the Dyson.  I have read reports of Hoovers damaging carpet so I am cautious with the Platinum. I would really be concerned with that cheapo Hoover like you use. 

How quickly you forget.  The Platinum was $399 in January.

If your lies stretched your anatomy other than your nose you could lay off Viagra entirely.

CarmineD

Reply #26   May 30, 2010 8:55 am
    HARDSELL wrote:

"If your lies stretched your anatomy other than your nose you could lay off Viagra entirely."

Do you speak from personal experience my friend?

BTW, I am not the least bit surprised that when push comes to shove you chose HOOVER with WT technology over all others.  I have said here for years and years, thanks to SEVERUS' coining of the expression, that the HOOVER WT is the gold standard of rug cleaning.  Coincidently, so has Consumer Reports said so on many occasions and this particular model you bought was rated number 2 in the upright lineup by CR.  Ironic isn't it.  Two icons, like them or not, that you drudge here constantly.  BUT in the final analysis you end up following and using both.  What's next in the HS household:  An ORECK?

You got taken on the price: $399.  They're being sold pervasively at half that price now.  In fact, were sold at $299 by BEST BUY as early as June of 2009 when the HOOVER bagged platinum lightweight and companion compact canister first launched.  Obviously in direct competition to ORECK.  In marketing it's called follow the leader.

HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY MEMORIAL DAY.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #27   May 30, 2010 11:06 am
    HARDSELL wrote:
    FACT:  You are the one who is caught twisting the truth as always.  Your quote that I responded to was prior to your editing the post. Therefore there was no question to answer.  My only anger is with your dishonesty, though I have come to expect it.

I already told you how I won a brand new DC07 from the Oreck salesman.  Actually the ESP was more like $30.  That is hard to pass up when all I had to do was take the vac in and get a brand new replacement if mine failed.  Before you spout off that was the way the ESP worked back then. 

I used it once on the 40 year old carpet to prep it for sale of the home that was inherited (wasn't my residence).  Did you miss that in your haste to waste all of our time?

The carpet that I replaced in my home with wood was exceptionally clean to the padding.  Installer claimed he had never seen carpet as dirt free. 

I did want the best vacuum.  That elimanated Oreck.  Dyson wasn't available when I had my carpet installed.  My carpet is a higher grade than builder grade so I wasn't concerned with damage from the Dyson.  I have read reports of Hoovers damaging carpet so I am cautious with the Platinum. I would really be concerned with that cheapo Hoover like you use. 

How quickly you forget.  The Platinum was $399 in January.

If your lies stretched your anatomy other than your nose you could lay off Viagra entirely.

For all that is going on here in terms of the conversation and slightly off topic, I'd like to say BAGLESS is A BOON when new carpets are installed. We went through 9 of the 13 litre fill capacity Oreck XL bags when we got our new thick woollen carpets installed right through the entire house. Carmine - you know already of the cost of Oreck bags in the UK! Then I purchased the Dirt Devil Dynammite model (Vax V-045 in the UK) and five empties per day of its tiny dirt cup ensured no more wasted dust bags. When I moved to my flat in the city where the landlord kindly put new thick short looped pile carpeting down I went through a box of bags with my Sebo Felix in two months; my mother would not PART with the Dirt Devil despite its awful loud noise. It made sense in that moment to keep the bagless upright; I still have it whenever we get new rugs for example.

At least the Oreck and Dyson have one thing in common; auto adjusting heads.
    retardturtle1

Reply #28   May 30, 2010 12:47 pm
    vacmanuk wrote:
    For all that is going on here in terms of the conversation and slightly off topic, I'd like to say BAGLESS is A BOON when new carpets are installed. We went through 9 of the 13 litre fill capacity Oreck XL bags when we got our new thick woollen carpets installed right through the entire house. Carmine - you know already of the cost of Oreck bags in the UK! Then I purchased the Dirt Devil Dynammite model (Vax V-045 in the UK) and five empties per day of its tiny dirt cup ensured no more wasted dust bags. When I moved to my flat in the city where the landlord kindly put new thick short looped pile carpeting down I went through a box of bags with my Sebo Felix in two months; my mother would not PART with the Dirt Devil despite its awful loud noise. It made sense in that moment to keep the bagless upright; I still have it whenever we get new rugs for example.

At least the Oreck and Dyson have one thing in common; auto adjusting heads.

Point very well made.....gotta say i have to agree with you....even though i dislike bagless.

Wool ......for the most part is a lux item here in the south where red clay dirt is the norm and will destroy even the cheapest contractor grade carpets. When the carpets at the courthouses got replaced ..i will say i or we did go through alot of bags....a bagless would have been nice. but in the end a bag is better...just my view,

The dynamites were actually good....powerful but that cone filter was the pits....you gotta agree on that. i tried a dacron filter for a shop vac over them and it made a world of diff, a bojack soloution indeed but one that worked....in general do you use the ddvl from time to time and if so areyou still happy with its long term use.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #29   May 30, 2010 2:21 pm
    HARDSELL wrote:
    Actually the ESP was more like $30.  That is hard to pass up when all I had to do was take the vac in and get a brand new replacement if mine failed.  Before you spout off that was the way the ESP worked back then. 

It didn't at that time, now or ever.  Read the ESP brochure you got from BEST BUY if you still have it.  

This is a myth [you bought into] that was started on several vacuum Forums and perpetrated by a few pro-dyson posters years ago.  As near as I can tell, the sole purpose was to increase BEST BUY's revenue stream by pushing extra cost ESP for dyson vacuums when dyson's warranty was 2 years and not 5.  The issue went away on August 15, 2006.  Can you guess why? 

The BEST BUY ESP contract states that the ESP ALWAYS reverts first to the manufacturer's warranty if still under the product's original warranty period.  If the product is past the maker's warranty, the ESP says it will repair the product fault for the period of the extended warranty.  If the fault can't be repaired, then it will replace with an item/product of the same value.  It doesn't guarantee a new product replacement with the same brand and model.  BEST BUY determines what the product replacement is and will be, not the customer.  

Product replacement plans, which is what you describe, is a seperate and distinct animal from an ESP [extended service plan].  To my knowledge no retailers of dyson vacuums offer replacement plans.  That was true for the 2 and 5 year warranty periods.

On a similar note, Consumer Reports discourages ESP for most products including vacuums as a waste of money.  I agree. 

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #30   May 31, 2010 5:23 am
    retardturtle1 wrote:
    Point very well made.....gotta say i have to agree with you....even though i dislike bagless.

Wool ......for the most part is a lux item here in the south where red clay dirt is the norm and will destroy even the cheapest contractor grade carpets. When the carpets at the courthouses got replaced ..i will say i or we did go through alot of bags....a bagless would have been nice. but in the end a bag is better...just my view,

The dynamites were actually good....powerful but that cone filter was the pits....you gotta agree on that. i tried a dacron filter for a shop vac over them and it made a world of diff, a bojack soloution indeed but one that worked....in general do you use the ddvl from time to time and if so areyou still happy with its long term use.

turtle

Hey Turtle
    Sadly we don't have a filter option - its the paper cone pleated type or nothing. I haven't seen a different type although you've got me interested! I think the U.S do have different filters for this machine but I may be wrong judged on the grainy photos on the Internet.

I've had the Dirt Devil for about 5 years now and before that another model, same type with silly pink decals on the bin (now replaced by silver). The Black Vax is perhaps one of the best uprights I've had in a long time; yes its Chinese made but I don't really care; it stands up to a lot of abuse, became a lot lighter to glide once the squeegee was removed and still cleans hard floors without damage. The paper pleats do get coked in dirt but its all a matter of principle- quick twist, pull up and brush clean or alternatively let the bigger SEBO deal with sucking out the dust. I've kept it because its very handy, very compact and great at cleaning bed mattresses to shock my friends/show how powerful it is. My mother adores it because its tiny but does a great job.

As a matter of interest I wrote to Vax UK suggesting that they should import the Dynammite Plus model with the hose on the back as the UK has only ever had the one without it (true upright design then in the traditional sense, like a Hoover Junior cos tubes and hoses mean zilch suction) and Vax's reply at the time was that they were working on a mini upright which would eventually become the basis for their new Mach Air Dyson DC24 Baby copied upright. I have that one too (has Windtunnel and of course, the Mach filter). Strangely enough, although it is similar to the little Dynammite, it doesn't feel as well made and I've had endless problems with it (review on here). As a replacement model, its not as good as the good ol' Dirt Devil / Vax despite having a hose on the back.
    CarmineD

Reply #31   May 31, 2010 8:20 am
    Consumer Reports rates this Dirt Devil Featherlight bagless a Best Buy for $60.  Rating it Very Good on carpets; Excellent on bare floors, and Good with tools.  Impressive for the price.  Customer reviews are middlin but for the price........such a deal, as my Jewish Aunt would say.

Carmine D.

Dirt Devil M085850 Featherlite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

See larger image

Dirt Devil Dynamite:

Dirt Devil M084600 Dynamite Bagless Quick Vac, Red

See larger image and other views

Dirt Devil M084600 Dynamite Bagless Quick Vac, Red

Dirt Devil M085850 Featherlite Bagless Upright

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by CarmineD
    retardturtle1

Reply #32   May 31, 2010 1:36 pm
    vacmanuk wrote:
    Hey Turtle
    Sadly we don't have a filter option - its the paper cone pleated type or nothing. I haven't seen a different type although you've got me interested! I think the U.S do have different filters for this machine but I may be wrong judged on the grainy photos on the Internet.

I've had the Dirt Devil for about 5 years now and before that another model, same type with silly pink decals on the bin (now replaced by silver). The Black Vax is perhaps one of the best uprights I've had in a long time; yes its Chinese made but I don't really care; it stands up to a lot of abuse, became a lot lighter to glide once the squeegee was removed and still cleans hard floors without damage. The paper pleats do get coked in dirt but its all a matter of principle- quick twist, pull up and brush clean or alternatively let the bigger SEBO deal with sucking out the dust. I've kept it because its very handy, very compact and great at cleaning bed mattresses to shock my friends/show how powerful it is. My mother adores it because its tiny but does a great job.

As a matter of interest I wrote to Vax UK suggesting that they should import the Dynammite Plus model with the hose on the back as the UK has only ever had the one without it (true upright design then in the traditional sense, like a Hoover Junior cos tubes and hoses mean zilch suction) and Vax's reply at the time was that they were working on a mini upright which would eventually become the basis for their new Mach Air Dyson DC24 Baby copied upright. I have that one too (has Windtunnel and of course, the Mach filter). Strangely enough, although it is similar to the little Dynammite, it doesn't feel as well made and I've had endless problems with it (review on here). As a replacement model, its not as good as the good ol' Dirt Devil / Vax despite having a hose on the back.

Hi Vacman

Well the the dacron cover is a sleeve...for the shop vac....avail at homedepot/lowes over here.it will need a shake out and a once a month washing...but thats it and will give the dredded cone filter years of life....we at the shop also used it on the windtunnel bagless vac and it gave us years of use out of the cone filter it used...it was a service everything vac and a great one at that...was put to the test day after day and the sleeve worked very well.

Many swear by ddvl and ive used it myself on a few occations at the shop...really does a good job...hard to complain.....the purple royal version does a great job also.

I prefer the hoseless/or dont use it ...for general use...a portable cann for tool use..just me. its proven itself to be a pretty tuff bugger....love the brushroll and the way it cleans overall.

turtle 

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by retardturtle1
    CarmineD

Reply #33   May 31, 2010 1:42 pm
    As happenstance would have it, as I was driving out of the the community this morning, being trash day despite the holiday, I see an empty Dirt Devil Featherlite box at the curb of one of the neighborhood houses. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #34   May 31, 2010 2:06 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
    As happenstance would have it, as I was driving out of the the community this morning, being trash day despite the holiday, I see an empty Dirt Devil Featherlite box at the curb of one of the neighborhood houses. 

Carmine D.

Pretty ironic...hahaha my friend.

turtle

vacmanuk

Reply #35   May 31, 2010 3:01 pm
    We have the Dirt Devil Featherlight in many different guises but they come under supermarket and exclusive brand names rather than Vax or Dirt Devil. I had one for a year; not as noisy as the Dynammite but not as efficient either. The biggest problem I had was cleaning the plastic impeller style shroud and escaping dust. The handle folded down at the rear making it great for storage though and the hose was a decent length. Didn't like the height adjustable setting though as it rarely cleaned deep down even with the height adjuster allowing the brushes to get right down to the floor. It's also substantially bigger than the old little Dynammite:

http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/4/9/03271394/g_03271394_002.jpghttp://imagesb.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/755/Woolworths_Upright_Cyclonic_Vacuum__6651755.jpgProaction VC9630S4
    HARDSELL

Reply #36   May 31, 2010 6:23 pm
    CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Was the Oreck that was being replaced in the garbage also?
    procare

Reply #37   May 31, 2010 8:01 pm
    One of the big problems for the Dynamite, that has occurred in my area is the brushroll bearings are going bad and a new brusholl is needed if they can be found. Belts are extremely hard to find as well at Walmart where the customers buy them. Availability of these Chinese machine parts are hard to get even from Dirt Devil.

Procare

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by procare
    CarmineD

Reply #38   May 31, 2010 8:20 pm
    HARDSELL wrote:
    Was the Oreck that was being replaced in the garbage also?

You just had to put your foot in your mouth didn't you...............it was a dyson DC07.  Biggest mistake they say that they ever made.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42