Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > carpet types that cause vacuums to fail

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Original Message   May 26, 2010 1:54 pm
Several people have commented that Oreck's aren't in general heavy duty vacuums.  So what carpet types are Oreck's most appropriate for?   I believe CR gave most of the Oreck's tested in the last several years scores of good to very good for cleaning medium pile carpeting.   

Carmine has mentioned the failure of a Dyson DC07 on wool carpeting. 

I would think that deep shag and berber carpeting would have special challenges different from medium pile carpeting.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 13 - 22 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Reply #13   May 27, 2010 2:58 pm
Severus wrote:
Just for the sake of argument, I think I will disagree.   If it's true that almost any vacuum will clean low pile carpeting, would you really want to use a vacuum that has a very aggressive brush roll?   There are certainly a lot of Kenmores, Panasonics, and European brands with softer brushes.     Just because the Windtunnel is optimal for medium pile carpeting, is it really optimal for low level carpeting? 

Aggressive is a broad term.  Not forgetting that new carpeting usually gives up lots of loose fibers, as long as a brushroll with firm tufts of bristles does not pull up, cut or unravel carpet fibers all should be fine. A decent vacuum cleaner is designed to manage all standard pile heights.  There's no sense or practicality in making or buying a machine that works well with only one carpet type.  As well, there's no sense in producing modern carpeting that hasn't the strength to bear regular vacuuming.

If a vacuum is good on medium and high pile, then one might hope it will be all the more thorough and quick on low pile and cut your work time.

Performance on low pile as it is easy to clean to my knowledge has never been used as an example in selling.  You can't push the "deep clean" hype with it.  That has more to do with our secret longing to live like rich folks.  Thus, in the name of comfort, we're more prone go for harder to clean thick pile of affordable man-made fiber.

The larger part of the world hasn't a clue as to which machines have aggressive brushrolls.  The persons to who that may be of real concern would probably be museum curators or purveyors of antique carpeting.  Any kind of carpet requring a careful preservation regemin should be be cleaned using a straight suction rug nozzle (note that I said nothing about using your upright with the brushroll off) if there is the slightest question or concern regarding damage from vacuuming.  If there was a substantial amount of public demand for different grade brushrolls or an appreciable amount of complaint about unnecessary rug wear, I'm sure the option would be offered.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #14   May 27, 2010 6:08 pm
Severus wrote:
Just for the sake of argument, I think I will disagree.   If it's true that almost any vacuum will clean low pile carpeting, would you really want to use a vacuum that has a very aggressive brush roll?   There are certainly a lot of Kenmores, Panasonics, and European brands with softer brushes.     Just because the Windtunnel is optimal for medium pile carpeting, is it really optimal for low level carpeting? 

I agree to a point....although most do well on low carpet , some do far better and are eisier to use. The orecks we use do well in the offices and cubicals..small courtrooms and kitchenetts/brk rooms. short hallways ect....easy to use and small to fit in those tight spots/areas.

On the larger areas where their is far more surface area to cover we use...panasonics, riccars, tempos, sanit comm..ect ...works out very well among the diverse cleaning staff we have....all are happy [at the moment].

My view is this...an aggressive roller can be ajusted to the situation....or most. better to have more than you need in case you need it than to not have enough when needed.

turtle

Just

Reply #15   May 28, 2010 3:48 pm
The man at Oreck said that the shag/Frize type carpeting was very hard on the vacuum and the belts because the loser strands on this type of carpeting would wrap around the brush roll and put a strain on the motor and belt.    This was the main reason they didn't recommend Oreck for this type of carpeting.
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 28, 2010 6:24 pm
Just wrote:
The man at Oreck said that the shag/Frize type carpeting was very hard on the vacuum and the belts because the loser strands on this type of carpeting would wrap around the brush roll and put a strain on the motor and belt.    This was the main reason they didn't recommend Oreck for this type of carpeting.

As a rule of thumb, I opine that any vacuum, full size and/or lightweight, that does not have a rug height adjustment and instead calls itself self adjusting, like ORECK and dyson to mention 2 off the top of my head, would not fare well on these types of carpets.  To the credit of ORECK in both oral sales pitches like this one and written literature, it specifically disqualifies itslef on high shag carpets.  Of course, there is nothing to lose with the ORECK's 30 day in home no obligation free trial.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #17   May 28, 2010 7:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
As a rule of thumb, I opine that any vacuum, full size and/or lightweight, that does not have a rug height adjustment and instead calls itself self adjusting, like ORECK and dyson to mention 2 off the top of my head, would not fare well on these types of carpets.  To the credit of ORECK in both oral sales pitches like this one and written literature, it specifically disqualifies itslef on high shag carpets.  Of course, there is nothing to lose with the ORECK's 30 day in home no obligation free trial.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Agree and disagree.....a bi-weekly cleaning of the roller and end caps is a good rule of thumb to follow....and one i try to show my customers.
The oreck is a pretty great vac....a multi-purpose tool but thicker older style carpets really bog it down.....but the service and nohassle guarentee make it a no lose situation.

The floating head i feel ...just does better. with the proper roller and power it is quite the deep cleaner on the riccars and panasonics....what i prefer and has the brushroll head weight to float or glide across the most demanding carpets..     then again the height ajst on the tempos and sanit comm is hard to beat....so i guess we agree to disagree my friend.

turtle

HARDSELL

Reply #18   May 28, 2010 8:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Nothing to lose except the carpet if it twists around the brush.
CarmineD

Reply #19   May 29, 2010 1:27 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Nothing to lose except the carpet if it twists around the brush.

Who would have thought an ORECK XL Classic for $150 new could sail across medium pile wool loop rug that bogs down a DC07 for $399 with its gawdawful screeching clutch that stops the brushbar.  The proof was in the using and still doing so after 3 years.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 29, 2010 7:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
Who would have thought an ORECK XL Classic for $150 new could sail across medium pile wool loop rug that bogs down a DC07 for $399 with its gawdawful screeching clutch that stops the brushbar.  The proof was in the using and still doing so after 3 years.

Carmine D.

I used my DC07 to vacuum plush wool carpet in a home that I inherited.  The carpet was 40 years old.  The Dyson never faltered and the carpet received no damage.

No doubt the Oreck would sail over your carpet.  They are for surface cleaning only.  I have to admit that I was vacuuming very expensive carpet.  My DC07 may also have failed on a builder grade carpet.

CarmineD

Reply #21   May 29, 2010 7:34 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I used my DC07 to vacuum plush wool carpet in a home that I inherited.  The carpet was 40 years old.  The Dyson never faltered and the carpet received no damage.

No doubt the Oreck would sail over your carpet.  They are for surface cleaning only.  I have to admit that I was vacuuming very expensive carpet.  My DC07 may also have failed on a builder grade carpet.

Look at the facts not the fiction.  After only 7 years yours was discontinued by dyson, tho you bailed out of it after only 3 and didn't buy a new dyson.  We know the reason.  You upgraded your carpets, 40 years is a bit seasoned even for my liking.  [Did the carpet maker/installer advise you that the rug warranty was void if you use a dyson like we were told by our home builder and his primary carpet contractor].  After 45 years, the same basic ORECK model is going strong and still certified [Gold, its highest seal of approval] by the Carpet and Rug Institute [unlike your fave brand].  I bought 3 more ORECKs just like it.  $150 for the ORECK versus $399 for a dyson.  Not a hardsell unless you are a hard head.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 29, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #22   May 29, 2010 8:39 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Agree and disagree.....a bi-weekly cleaning of the roller and end caps is a good rule of thumb to follow....and one i try to show my customers.
The oreck is a pretty great vac....a multi-purpose tool but thicker older style carpets really bog it down.....but the service and nohassle guarentee make it a no lose situation.

The floating head i feel ...just does better. with the proper roller and power it is quite the deep cleaner on the riccars and panasonics....what i prefer and has the brushroll head weight to float or glide across the most demanding carpets..     then again the height ajst on the tempos and sanit comm is hard to beat....so i guess we agree to disagree my friend.

turtle

Turtle:

WRT carpet types and vacuums, if a home has a diverse mix of carpets and thicknesses, I prefer and recommend the height adjustment over self-floating.  If its wall to wall and all the same same, self-adjusting w/o adjustments would do the trick.  Having said that, I still like to adjust the vacuum height to my own liking rather than let the vacuum do it.  Or if primarily floor with carpeting compliments and smallish in size [1700 sq ft with 1000 floor and 700 carpet], like my home, definitely an ORECK.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 29, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 13 - 22 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42