Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > carpet types that cause vacuums to fail

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Original Message   May 26, 2010 1:54 pm
Several people have commented that Oreck's aren't in general heavy duty vacuums.  So what carpet types are Oreck's most appropriate for?   I believe CR gave most of the Oreck's tested in the last several years scores of good to very good for cleaning medium pile carpeting.   

Carmine has mentioned the failure of a Dyson DC07 on wool carpeting. 

I would think that deep shag and berber carpeting would have special challenges different from medium pile carpeting.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 38NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Reply #1   May 26, 2010 4:45 pm
This topic couldn't arrive at a better time. Ive recently read a review on Epinions about one buyer in particular who has reviewed their Oreck after buying the new Platinum model that swivels. (http://www1.epinions.com/review/Oreck_XL_Platinum_Pilot_Vacuum/content_509893578372). Their particular problem isn't so much carpet but: "...What I found was that it was a good machine on low pile carpet, but not good on area rugs or plush carpet. It did not do so hot on hard surfaces. I felt sand spitting out and scattering in all directions. *The light shows this very clearly! ..."
CarmineD

Reply #2   May 26, 2010 5:00 pm
Interestingly some of criticisms typical of ORECK, like noisey, is not a criticism by this user.  The statement that says it all is:

"Do I think Oreck makes a good machine well...yes!  They give you 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't love it!  Additionally this bad boy comes with a 10 year warranty and free annual tune ups too!  So yes, I think they make a good machine...but not for me.  "

I believe the user says that he will go back to a full size vacuum instead.  That's fine.  At some point he may change his mind [or his spouse may] and decide I think its time for the ORECK.  Until then, he's lost nothing to return it and decide to use a full size, which will be a bagged vacuum and not bagless according to his review.

BTW, he was criticl for the ORECK for leaving grooming patterns and areas in his carpet after using.  Perhaps somebody needs to tell him that means the ORECK is doing the job properly. 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #3   May 26, 2010 5:54 pm
When I was shopping a few years ago I went into a Oreck Clean Home Store.  Wonderful, friendly, low pressure people.    What the man told me was the Oreck did not do well on the Frizze or Shag style carpeting.  It excells on low pile and Berber.  On Plush style carpeting it will groom and pull surface litter, but don't expect too much deep cleaning.
retardturtle1

Reply #4   May 26, 2010 5:58 pm
We use the orecks throughout the county buildings and other commercial accounts.....we have about 15 in use everyday all the time. Its proven itself to be one of the most durable cleaners we use....year after year....but proper maint. every 6mos has been the key to its long abused life.

On commercial/low carpet it does very good.....med/contractor apt grade carpet ,,does good if its in good condition and not worn and matted down..on carpeted mats and rubber types it does very good..I think it does better on grouted type tile [less to no scatter] then on flat smooth vinyl.

Altho not a vacuum for all...its a great vacuum for most. A heavy-duty commercial vac you can also use in the home....by far not the deep cleaner/nap resetting vacuum a tempo is........but a great muliti surface tool it is.

turtle

budmattingly

Reply #5   May 26, 2010 8:16 pm
I just bought the Electrolux Duralite also know as the Sanitaire Duralite. It is designed after the Eureka Ultra. I had a Eureka Ultra and wished I had kept it. I had hoped that they may eventually bring it back. Well this vacuum uses the same type bag the Ultra used, Style Z. The Ultra had a Vibra Groomer II, while this one has a wooden brush roll and different base plate. If the base plate wasn't a different style a Vibra Groomer II would work in it. This vacuum is 5 amps. Even at 5 amps this vacuum is very powerfull. These are also being sold on QVC. In reading the reviews people were saying this is not good removing pet hair on carpeting, but great on bare floors. After much testing the problem seems to be this. It is self adjusting and with a new bag in it the brush roll will stall or slow down. I even changed the belt to make sure. Once the bag gets some household dirt in it and the airflow is decreased  the problem disappears. I changed the bag and same thing happens...I have short plush carpeting in my home. It is only 3 years old. This vacuum would work great for business or low nap carpeting but probably would not work on very plush carpeting. I am keeping it all the same and put it in my collection for a keeper. I think I know a fix for this. The base plate also houses the front wheels. These wheels need to be a little larger than the ones on it, perhaps Electrolux will realize this and correct the problem.

In my case, it is not the carpet causing my Electrolux to fail, but a design flaw.

Sincerely,

Bud

One other note: My Eureka Ultra was almost twice as expensive as this vacuum, but the quality was much better. I prefer quality to a cheaper price. Also, one of the reasons I like the Ultra so well was the great easy change bag. That is still the same on the new Electrolux.

Improvements over the Ultra

Dual zipper outer bag.

Things I liked better on the Ultra

Vibra Groomer II

More slim line design

Did not stall out on any type of carpet and I believe it had a 6 amp motor

Attachment set was available for it if needed

Button for suction control on front of nozzle. I always used it on normal, unless using the attachements and needed a lower suction

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #6   May 27, 2010 12:12 am
So is it fair to say that if you have low pile carpeting, the top rated Hoover Windtunnel in the leading consumer magazine is probably overkill and not a good fit?  Just as a Oreck may not be a good fit for deep pile carpeting? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #7   May 27, 2010 6:23 am
Severus wrote:
So is it fair to say that if you have low pile carpeting, the top rated Hoover Windtunnel in the leading consumer magazine is probably overkill and not a good fit?  Just as a Oreck may not be a good fit for deep pile carpeting? 

Low pile carpeting, especially that with an evenly cut pile should be relatively easy to clean with just about anything save for situations where sizable abundances of pet hair accumulate.  A` vacuum that's fast and effective on deep pile may not necessarily be overkill.  (Overkill is more often an issue of how much you put yourself out on a limb for pricewise.)  If the vacuum also serves well for other cleaning tasks around the house then it's a solid asset.

As for Oreck, you must always consider the households it may serve in.  That matter, as with any other vacuum type or brand, is always varied. Rug cleaning needs are definitely different household to household and are magnified more by way of neglect than machinery.

Keeping deep pile carpet clean and looking good is more likely a real issue if -- it bears a lot of traffic and the owner is not fond of vacuuming.  I honestly believe that if you vacuum frequently, daily or several times a week, your chances of getting up destructive grit, etc., before it's worked all the way down into the rug are good.  Think of it this way, what would your hair look like if instead of combing or brushing it everyday, you opted to tend to it once a week OR every two weeks. Naturally, the longer you overlooked it, the longer it would take to get it in proper order.  Frequent vacuumers have a lot less to worry over in regard to depth of clean or the look of their carpeting.

Oreck is not my favorite machine nor the one I might suggest for someone whose moved into an environment where a "ravaged" rug cannot be replaced but it does serve a purpose and, used properly, may be as valid a buy as any Hoover depending upon the user's likes and frequency of use.  Really ratty appearing rugs can experience improvement with regular thorough professional cleaning where possible and vacuuming often as needed as opposed to when you feel like it.  Been there, done that and with the vacuum I had but not the vacuum I liked.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #8   May 27, 2010 6:41 am
Severus wrote:

I have to come down on the same side as Venson WRT this statement.  Depends on the amount of low pile carpet to clean and how often you vacuum.  HOOVER WT may be just what the vacuum doctor ordered if you have 1500-2000 plus sq foot of low pile carpet and vacuum 1 or 2 a week.  On the other hand an ORECK is the best fit for 400 sq foot of high thick woven wool white carpet vacuumed daily.  Especially if the user for the latter is an older man/woman.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #9   May 27, 2010 6:59 am

Electrolux EL9025A Duralite Pro Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Electrolux EL9025A Duralite Pro Upright Vacuum Cleaner - click to enlarge
Features
Specifications
  • Specially designed 5-amp motor moves more air at less RPMs for a longer life and superior energy efficiency
  • The extra wide, clog resistant air path is nearly 3x bigger than the nearest competitor
  • Can lie flat (down to just 6'') to reach under beds and other furniture
  • Magnesium components are lighter than steel or aluminum yet exceptionally durable
  • Crevice and dusting tools stored at your fingertips
  • Large, easy-roll wheels with rubber protects hard surfaces and improves mobility
  • Dual-edge cleaning for easy cleaning along baseboards
  • Positive lock, wear resistant magnesium handle release and magnesium dual-support handle socket and bag assembly for exceptional durability
  • Power: 5 amps
  • Filtration Type: CRI Green Clean Approved
  • Capacity: 6.6 quarts
  • Brush Type: -
  • Cleaning Path: -
  • Hose Length: -
  • Power Cord: 30'
  • Attachments: Crevice tool, dusting brush
    Dimensions and Weight
  • Size: 44.5H x 12.75''W x 11.75''D
  • Weight: 12 lbs.
    Warranty:
  • 2 years

Shipping Weight: 15.00 lbs.

UPC: 023169121973

Please note:
    This appliance complies with the U.S. Electrical Standard.

Please note:
    This appliance complies with the U.S. Electrical Standard.

This message was modified May 27, 2010 by CarmineD
    Severus

Reply #10   May 27, 2010 11:55 am
    Just for the sake of argument, I think I will disagree.   If it's true that almost any vacuum will clean low pile carpeting, would you really want to use a vacuum that has a very aggressive brush roll?   There are certainly a lot of Kenmores, Panasonics, and European brands with softer brushes.     Just because the Windtunnel is optimal for medium pile carpeting, is it really optimal for low level carpeting? 

Replies: 1 - 10 of 38NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42