Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > carpet types that cause vacuums to fail

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Original Message   May 26, 2010 1:54 pm
Several people have commented that Oreck's aren't in general heavy duty vacuums.  So what carpet types are Oreck's most appropriate for?   I believe CR gave most of the Oreck's tested in the last several years scores of good to very good for cleaning medium pile carpeting.   

Carmine has mentioned the failure of a Dyson DC07 on wool carpeting. 

I would think that deep shag and berber carpeting would have special challenges different from medium pile carpeting.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: carpet types that cause vacuums to fail
Reply #29   May 30, 2010 2:21 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Actually the ESP was more like $30.  That is hard to pass up when all I had to do was take the vac in and get a brand new replacement if mine failed.  Before you spout off that was the way the ESP worked back then. 

It didn't at that time, now or ever.  Read the ESP brochure you got from BEST BUY if you still have it.  

This is a myth [you bought into] that was started on several vacuum Forums and perpetrated by a few pro-dyson posters years ago.  As near as I can tell, the sole purpose was to increase BEST BUY's revenue stream by pushing extra cost ESP for dyson vacuums when dyson's warranty was 2 years and not 5.  The issue went away on August 15, 2006.  Can you guess why? 

The BEST BUY ESP contract states that the ESP ALWAYS reverts first to the manufacturer's warranty if still under the product's original warranty period.  If the product is past the maker's warranty, the ESP says it will repair the product fault for the period of the extended warranty.  If the fault can't be repaired, then it will replace with an item/product of the same value.  It doesn't guarantee a new product replacement with the same brand and model.  BEST BUY determines what the product replacement is and will be, not the customer.  

Product replacement plans, which is what you describe, is a seperate and distinct animal from an ESP [extended service plan].  To my knowledge no retailers of dyson vacuums offer replacement plans.  That was true for the 2 and 5 year warranty periods.

On a similar note, Consumer Reports discourages ESP for most products including vacuums as a waste of money.  I agree. 

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #30   May 31, 2010 5:23 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Point very well made.....gotta say i have to agree with you....even though i dislike bagless.

Wool ......for the most part is a lux item here in the south where red clay dirt is the norm and will destroy even the cheapest contractor grade carpets. When the carpets at the courthouses got replaced ..i will say i or we did go through alot of bags....a bagless would have been nice. but in the end a bag is better...just my view,

The dynamites were actually good....powerful but that cone filter was the pits....you gotta agree on that. i tried a dacron filter for a shop vac over them and it made a world of diff, a bojack soloution indeed but one that worked....in general do you use the ddvl from time to time and if so areyou still happy with its long term use.

turtle

Hey Turtle
Sadly we don't have a filter option - its the paper cone pleated type or nothing. I haven't seen a different type although you've got me interested! I think the U.S do have different filters for this machine but I may be wrong judged on the grainy photos on the Internet.

I've had the Dirt Devil for about 5 years now and before that another model, same type with silly pink decals on the bin (now replaced by silver). The Black Vax is perhaps one of the best uprights I've had in a long time; yes its Chinese made but I don't really care; it stands up to a lot of abuse, became a lot lighter to glide once the squeegee was removed and still cleans hard floors without damage. The paper pleats do get coked in dirt but its all a matter of principle- quick twist, pull up and brush clean or alternatively let the bigger SEBO deal with sucking out the dust. I've kept it because its very handy, very compact and great at cleaning bed mattresses to shock my friends/show how powerful it is. My mother adores it because its tiny but does a great job.

As a matter of interest I wrote to Vax UK suggesting that they should import the Dynammite Plus model with the hose on the back as the UK has only ever had the one without it (true upright design then in the traditional sense, like a Hoover Junior cos tubes and hoses mean zilch suction) and Vax's reply at the time was that they were working on a mini upright which would eventually become the basis for their new Mach Air Dyson DC24 Baby copied upright. I have that one too (has Windtunnel and of course, the Mach filter). Strangely enough, although it is similar to the little Dynammite, it doesn't feel as well made and I've had endless problems with it (review on here). As a replacement model, its not as good as the good ol' Dirt Devil / Vax despite having a hose on the back.
CarmineD

Reply #31   May 31, 2010 8:20 am
Consumer Reports rates this Dirt Devil Featherlight bagless a Best Buy for $60.  Rating it Very Good on carpets; Excellent on bare floors, and Good with tools.  Impressive for the price.  Customer reviews are middlin but for the price........such a deal, as my Jewish Aunt would say.

Carmine D.

Dirt Devil M085850 Featherlite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

See larger image

Dirt Devil Dynamite:

Dirt Devil M084600 Dynamite Bagless Quick Vac, Red

See larger image and other views

Dirt Devil M084600 Dynamite Bagless Quick Vac, Red

Dirt Devil M085850 Featherlite Bagless Upright

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #32   May 31, 2010 1:36 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Hey Turtle
Sadly we don't have a filter option - its the paper cone pleated type or nothing. I haven't seen a different type although you've got me interested! I think the U.S do have different filters for this machine but I may be wrong judged on the grainy photos on the Internet.

I've had the Dirt Devil for about 5 years now and before that another model, same type with silly pink decals on the bin (now replaced by silver). The Black Vax is perhaps one of the best uprights I've had in a long time; yes its Chinese made but I don't really care; it stands up to a lot of abuse, became a lot lighter to glide once the squeegee was removed and still cleans hard floors without damage. The paper pleats do get coked in dirt but its all a matter of principle- quick twist, pull up and brush clean or alternatively let the bigger SEBO deal with sucking out the dust. I've kept it because its very handy, very compact and great at cleaning bed mattresses to shock my friends/show how powerful it is. My mother adores it because its tiny but does a great job.

As a matter of interest I wrote to Vax UK suggesting that they should import the Dynammite Plus model with the hose on the back as the UK has only ever had the one without it (true upright design then in the traditional sense, like a Hoover Junior cos tubes and hoses mean zilch suction) and Vax's reply at the time was that they were working on a mini upright which would eventually become the basis for their new Mach Air Dyson DC24 Baby copied upright. I have that one too (has Windtunnel and of course, the Mach filter). Strangely enough, although it is similar to the little Dynammite, it doesn't feel as well made and I've had endless problems with it (review on here). As a replacement model, its not as good as the good ol' Dirt Devil / Vax despite having a hose on the back.

Hi Vacman

Well the the dacron cover is a sleeve...for the shop vac....avail at homedepot/lowes over here.it will need a shake out and a once a month washing...but thats it and will give the dredded cone filter years of life....we at the shop also used it on the windtunnel bagless vac and it gave us years of use out of the cone filter it used...it was a service everything vac and a great one at that...was put to the test day after day and the sleeve worked very well.

Many swear by ddvl and ive used it myself on a few occations at the shop...really does a good job...hard to complain.....the purple royal version does a great job also.

I prefer the hoseless/or dont use it ...for general use...a portable cann for tool use..just me. its proven itself to be a pretty tuff bugger....love the brushroll and the way it cleans overall.

turtle 

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #33   May 31, 2010 1:42 pm
As happenstance would have it, as I was driving out of the the community this morning, being trash day despite the holiday, I see an empty Dirt Devil Featherlite box at the curb of one of the neighborhood houses. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #34   May 31, 2010 2:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
As happenstance would have it, as I was driving out of the the community this morning, being trash day despite the holiday, I see an empty Dirt Devil Featherlite box at the curb of one of the neighborhood houses. 

Carmine D.

Pretty ironic...hahaha my friend.

turtle

vacmanuk

Reply #35   May 31, 2010 3:01 pm
We have the Dirt Devil Featherlight in many different guises but they come under supermarket and exclusive brand names rather than Vax or Dirt Devil. I had one for a year; not as noisy as the Dynammite but not as efficient either. The biggest problem I had was cleaning the plastic impeller style shroud and escaping dust. The handle folded down at the rear making it great for storage though and the hose was a decent length. Didn't like the height adjustable setting though as it rarely cleaned deep down even with the height adjuster allowing the brushes to get right down to the floor. It's also substantially bigger than the old little Dynammite:

http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/4/9/03271394/g_03271394_002.jpghttp://imagesb.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/755/Woolworths_Upright_Cyclonic_Vacuum__6651755.jpgProaction VC9630S4
HARDSELL

Reply #36   May 31, 2010 6:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Was the Oreck that was being replaced in the garbage also?
procare

Reply #37   May 31, 2010 8:01 pm
One of the big problems for the Dynamite, that has occurred in my area is the brushroll bearings are going bad and a new brusholl is needed if they can be found. Belts are extremely hard to find as well at Walmart where the customers buy them. Availability of these Chinese machine parts are hard to get even from Dirt Devil.

Procare

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by procare
CarmineD

Reply #38   May 31, 2010 8:20 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Was the Oreck that was being replaced in the garbage also?

You just had to put your foot in your mouth didn't you...............it was a dyson DC07.  Biggest mistake they say that they ever made.

Carmine D.

Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42