Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Upright wanted--Hoover?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
eliot3

Upright wanted--Hoover?
Original Message   May 13, 2010 3:21 pm
I am interested in buying an upright vacuum, bagged, and I am willing to spend up to, say, $350.  It will be used, not heavily, by an older woman who has a shedding cat and is not mechanically apt.  A longish cord and an attachment for a linoleum floor would be a plus.  I'll take any suggestion, but in the absence of any I am looking at a Hoover UH30010COM Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Canister, which is sold on Amazon.  My concern with Hoovers in general is that according to CR they are highly repair prone.  Anybody have experience with this model in particular, recent experience with Hoovers in general, or any other suggestions?
Replies: 55 - 64 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Upright wanted--Hoover?
Reply #55   May 21, 2010 7:50 pm
One brand and model is consistently cited by both Consumer Reports and Consumers Digest as a Best Buy is the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac bagged upright which retails between $120-$140 depending on retailer.  Hard to beat for the price but a tad on the heavy side.  A model that has been around for quite awhile.  At least 10 years by my memory and perhaps a few more than that.

Carmine D.

catlady

Reply #56   May 21, 2010 9:17 pm
eliot3 wrote:
I am interested in buying an upright vacuum, bagged, and I am willing to spend up to, say, $350.  It will be used, not heavily, by an older woman who has a shedding cat and is not mechanically apt.  A longish cord and an attachment for a linoleum floor would be a plus.  I'll take any suggestion, but in the absence of any I am looking at a Hoover UH30010COM Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Canister, which is sold on Amazon.  My concern with Hoovers in general is that according to CR they are highly repair prone.  Anybody have experience with this model in particular, recent experience with Hoovers in general, or any other suggestions?

My grandparents had an Oreck that they loved. It was lightweight and for their needs (no pets), did a great job. I have no experience with Oreck so maybe someone else can chime in on this. The Oreck XL Silver Power Team is $349.00 on their web site. The Oreck XL Classic Power Team is $289.95. Melanie
CarmineD

Reply #57   May 22, 2010 8:07 am
catlady wrote:
My grandparents had an Oreck that they loved. It was lightweight and for their needs (no pets), did a great job. I have no experience with Oreck so maybe someone else can chime in on this. The Oreck XL Silver Power Team is $349.00 on their web site. The Oreck XL Classic Power Team is $289.95. Melanie

COSTCO is offering the ORECK power team now thru June 13 [?] for $240.  ORECK is the iconic lightweight brand.  Good quality, excellent service and parts support from its own stores nationwide.  I own and use the XL Classic upright for the last 3 years and bought 3 more and gifted away to others who use and praise them.  Considering the COSTCO purchase as an upgrade with thoughts of donating mine away.

Carmine D.

PS:  You'll appreciate this Melanie.  ORECK and the US Humane Society offered a special in April 2007 for buying the ORECK XL Classic upright only at $150 with free shipping.  I bought and liked it.  Then bought 3 more for the same price and gifted.  My wife/I use our ORECK every day/every other day for both bare floors and rugs.  Still as good as new and works perfectly.   Belts and bags are the only expense.  Belts are $2 and take a minute to install.  Bags are $12 for 8, year supply and takes 2 months before I replace [using another upright/vacuum in addition to the ORECK].

This message was modified May 22, 2010 by CarmineD
catlady

Reply #58   May 22, 2010 10:13 pm
"You'll appreciate this Melanie.  ORECK and the US Humane Society offered a special in April 2007 for buying the ORECK XL Classic upright only at $150 with free shipping." 

Very cool!
This message was modified May 22, 2010 by catlady
vacmanuk

Reply #59   May 23, 2010 8:12 am
For general carpet dust pick the Oreck XL is good; for pet hair though forget it ; the thin spine at the back often clogs with pet hair and the Oreck's motor isn't strong enough to put the clog into the bag!
CarmineD

Reply #60   May 23, 2010 8:58 am
vacmanuk wrote:
For general carpet dust pick the Oreck XL is good; for pet hair though forget it ; the thin spine at the back often clogs with pet hair and the Oreck's motor isn't strong enough to put the clog into the bag!

I have never had this problem or any other clog with my XL Classic.  Never in 3 years plus of constant usage.  Tho my yellow English lab died recently, she shed year round and hair was a constant issue for house cleaning.  Her hair was comparable to that of a golden retriever.  Oftentimes she was confused for a retriever.  Dog hair was never ever a problem for the ORECK on floors or rugs.  In fact, never even hair wrap on the brush roller.  All dog hair, save some that stuck to the brush end caps, always made their way to the bag.

My daughter uses an ORECK too.  Like us, she has a yellow lab, but American breed.  Shorter hair than the English lab breed.  No problem for the ORECK on floors and rugs.

Carmine D.

PS:  Recall ORECK and the US Humane Society typically sponsor promotions for ORECK vacuums.  I can't believe that the two would partner on these offers if there was even a iota of truth that pet hair would cause clogging. 

This message was modified May 23, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #61   May 23, 2010 12:29 pm
catlady wrote:

Bless you for what your doing....Catlady

The orecks have a no risk return for 30 days.......if you dont like it for whatever reason you can get your money back.

In that time you can run it hard and see first hand for yourself if it does what you want and need it to do....

The oreck could possibly be the in-between vac to help lighten the load on the s-7.... if not happy with the perfpmance and results over a couple weeks you take back for a full refund....nothing to lose.....id say its worth a try.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #62   May 24, 2010 7:10 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Bless you for what your doing....Catlady

The orecks have a no risk return for 30 days.......if you dont like it for whatever reason you can get your money back.

In that time you can run it hard and see first hand for yourself if it does what you want and need it to do....

The oreck could possibly be the in-between vac to help lighten the load on the s-7.... if not happy with the perfpmance and results over a couple weeks you take back for a full refund....nothing to lose.....id say its worth a try.

turtle

Catlady's home pet shelter poses a definite challenge for any and all vacuums full size and lightweight.  An ORECK upright used as suggested would fare well if kept up with belts and bags at usual intervals.  I opine any one who has the patience and heart for all these furry friends can muster the effort to change a $2.00 belt every 4-5 months and bag when needed.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #63   May 24, 2010 4:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Have at it.  Keep me posted.  I'm sure you'll find the rugs looking better both before and after you shampoo too by using this 7X7 procedure.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Well my 7x7 test is over.....im happy with the results.....i cut the bag open and found about 2 weeks worth of dirt/hair/ tiny bit of carpet fuzz....about a 1/4 bag is the norm every 2 weeks doing the up and back method twice a day....1500sqft..not incldg -kitchen/restrooms /carport.....the carpet has a softer feel to it...as soft as contractor grade gets....but will be shampooing with the hoover spinscrub this week since summer is here....so we shall see.

The vacuum i used was a panasonic 585 w/triforce system..xcept ive swapped out the brushstrips for 6 of the riccar comm 8925's...for that agressive clean...as it does a better job overall.

I plan on redoing the 7x7 test as soon as i go thru and check out the radiance that was gifted to me....just to see what comes up?..at worst case ill have really clean carpet so its worth the time to me...but your suggestion works on the 7x7....you can see and feel the diff....well worth the time and effort.....great tip and thank you.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #64   May 24, 2010 7:53 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Well my 7x7 test is over.....im happy with the results.....i cut the bag open and found about 2 weeks worth of dirt/hair/ tiny bit of carpet fuzz....about a 1/4 bag is the norm every 2 weeks doing the up and back method twice a day....1500sqft..not incldg -kitchen/restrooms /carport.....the carpet has a softer feel to it...as soft as contractor grade gets....but will be shampooing with the hoover spinscrub this week since summer is here....so we shall see.

The vacuum i used was a panasonic 585 w/triforce system..xcept ive swapped out the brushstrips for 6 of the riccar comm 8925's...for that agressive clean...as it does a better job overall.

I plan on redoing the 7x7 test as soon as i go thru and check out the radiance that was gifted to me....just to see what comes up?..at worst case ill have really clean carpet so its worth the time to me...but your suggestion works on the 7x7....you can see and feel the diff....well worth the time and effort.....great tip and thank you.

turtle

Hello turtle:

Nice vacuum to use for the 7X7 procedure.

Often recommended the 7X7 method to persons buying vacuums who were w/o a vacuum or using a poor performing rug cleaner and groomer.  This process restores carpets back to normal clean.

Also recommended to persons shampooing their carpets either themselves or professionally.  The more deep down dirt you remove before shampooing, the better the rugs after shampooing.

Carmine D.

MC-UG585
MC-UG585
Performance Plus Platinum Upright Vacuum with HEPA Filter and Motor Protection System

Replies: 55 - 64 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42