Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 102 - 111 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #102   May 13, 2010 1:46 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Carmine - as Ive said before, this is a Sebo commercial model based on the BS36. Weighs in at around 8.6kg. Hardly lightweight like the rest of the Oreck range.

Sebo BS36 Commercial Vacuum Cleaner with Twin Motor BS Range

I know you did and knew you would again.  Very impressive vacuum.  The ORECK XL Pro 14T above weighs in at 19 pounds. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 13, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #103   May 13, 2010 4:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle:  This is one of the Commercial uprights that I had in mind with my post to vacmanuk.  Meets the requirements he listed.  IMHO a good product.

Carmine D.

Advanced Features
Purchase Inquiries

• Durable Dual-Motor complete cleaning system features a 14 inch cleaning path.
  • Quiet operating vacuum – ideal for minimum noise areas.
  • Full set of attachments includes upholstery brush, dusting brush, and crevice tool.
  • Telescopic wand and stretch hose extend more than 9 feet for convenient above-the-floor cleaning.
  • Roller brush motor automatically turns off protecting carpet when tools are in use.
  • Balanced center of gravity prevents tipping when using accessories.
  • Overload protection protects motor and belt.

Hi carmine

Yup thats the one...looks solid. wish they woulda stayed with the oreck bag somehow...they filter great and nice size....hows it clean compared to the other  orecks.

turtle

HARDSELL

Reply #104   May 13, 2010 4:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
A common vacuum consumer problem, especially for the uninformed and lazy, is not knowing what to buy.  Buyers expect the "pros" to tell them what to buy and why.  [I wonder if they make other purchases that way?]  No doubt the reason, in part, Consumer Reports has 20 million faithful monthly readers. 

BTW, I never considered myself a salesman let alone a very good one.  I was told by many customers that I was "too honest" to be a salesman for any one brand/model.   I considered myself a vacuum industry business man and sales was just one part of the business.  

Carmine D.

You liberally spout negative comments about Dyson.  A real pro doesn't do this way.  When asked a simple question that you can't answer you always try to twist out of the hold.  Further evidence that you are lost when it comes to being a pro. I can see you are on the canvas.  Go to the corner and sit on the stool awhile.

I never expected or wanted you to tell me what to buy.  I simply asked you to refer me to the info that you said is so readilly available.  It ain't there and you fell on your rear.  More of the SOS as I said.

You once told us that you would give bad info to close a sale at week's end.  Now you say you were too honest.  I believe the first story.

CarmineD

Reply #105   May 13, 2010 4:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You liberally spout negative comments about Dyson.  A real pro doesn't do this way.  When asked a simple question that you can't answer you always try to twist out of the hold.  Further evidence that you are lost when it comes to being a pro. I can see you are on the canvas.  Go to the corner and sit on the stool awhile.

I never expected or wanted you to tell me what to buy.  I simply asked you to refer me to the info that you said is so readilly available.  It ain't there and you fell on your rear.  More of the SOS as I said.

You once told us that you would give bad info to close a sale at week's end.  Now you say you were too honest.  I believe the first story.

I didn't say I was too honest to sell one brand.... my customers did.  I sodl several brand/s and models concurrently.  Never ORECK except rebuilt/used.  I had the chance right from Dave Oreck.  But turned hiom down. 

Despite the huge mark ups on new dysons [once bragged about by a dyson fan who no longer posts here] I would never sell them unless a customer absolutely insisted.  It's never about the money from one time sales.  It's about building a lasting business realtionship with your customers.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #106   May 13, 2010 5:01 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi carmine

Yup thats the one...looks solid. wish they woulda stayed with the oreck bag somehow...they filter great and nice size....hows it clean compared to the other  orecks.

turtle

Comparable performance.  Has replaceable brush strips, slightly stiffer than home use ORECK's, which are ideal for commercial use.  2 year warranty.  $400-$500 retail.  Good vacuum for the money.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #107   May 13, 2010 5:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I didn't say I was too honest to sell one brand.... my customers did.  I sodl several brand/s and models concurrently.  Never ORECK except rebuilt/used.  I had the chance right from Dave Oreck.  But turned hiom down. 

Despite the huge mark ups on new dysons [once bragged about by a dyson fan who no longer posts here] I would never sell them unless a customer absolutely insisted.  It's never about the money from one time sales.  It's about building a lasting business realtionship with your customers.

Carmine D.

Enough of the ad nauseum about you.  Where is the info that consumers need to make a buying decision? 
CarmineD

Reply #108   May 13, 2010 5:27 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Enough of the ad nauseum about you.  Where is the info that consumers need to make a buying decision? 

I'd prefer to talk about vacuums and your likes and dislikes in those regards. 

You are one consumer not plural.  What's good for you is not good for consumers and vice versa.   You are a perfect candidate for a new dyson and I have said so on several occasions asking what you liked in the new dyson line up.  You tend toward trendy and innovative designed products with high prices and middlin performance.  Dyson's strong points.  Definitely avoid the ORECK brand.  Too old and staunch for a fad status buyer like yourself.  Although I said I would carry and sell dysons to customers who absolutely insisted, you are exception.  I would, based on what I know from your posts here, refer you to a big box retailer.  When I had my store business I did that on some occasions.  Knowing what to sell and when to sell and who to sell, oftentimes has nothing to do with the products but the people.  Some people are just hard to sell.

I hope my honesty doesn't offend you.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 13, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #109   May 13, 2010 6:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I'd prefer to talk about vacuums and your likes and dislikes in those regards. 

You are one consumer not plural.  What's good for you is not good for consumers and vice versa.   You are a perfect candidate for a new dyson and I have said so on several occasions asking what you liked in the new dyson line up.  You tend toward trendy and innovative designed products with high prices and middlin performance.  Dyson's strong points.  Definitely avoid the ORECK brand.  Too old and staunch for a fad status buyer like yourself.  Although I said I would carry and sell dysons to customers who absolutely insisted, you are exception.  I would, based on what I know from your posts here, refer you to a big box retailer.  When I had my store business I did that on some occasions.  Knowing what to sell and when to sell and who to sell, oftentimes has nothing to do with the products but the people.  Some people are just hard to sell.

I hope my honesty doesn't offend you.

Carmine D.

Now we are getting somewhere Carmine.  Appreciate your reply.  Gotta get out the ol Bently and make it over to Allen Jacksons party. 

Have a good night.

CarmineD

Reply #110   May 14, 2010 2:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Now we are getting somewhere Carmine.  Appreciate your reply.  Gotta get out the ol Bently and make it over to Allen Jacksons party. 

Have a good night.

HARDSELL wrote:
I have been using the Platinum combo for several months.  Some of the prior vacs that I used were Kirby, Royal, Dyson, Oreck, Panasonic, Hoover bagless (3 different series).

I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Platinum.  Cord is ample at 35'.  Although the bags are large this vac fills them quicker than others I have used.  A  good indicator that dirt is being removed from the carpet.  It is light weight and feels featherwieght when using.  So far no issues with the quality.  The hand held is an excellent performer with superior suction.

Bags are not cheap and not overly abundant.  I would prefer it to be quieter.  I have had to remove the sole plate and clean under it. IMO this should not occur with the use that I have given it.  It has not affected performance and hopefully will not.

The brush can't be turned off.  I use the hand held on non carpet floors.  Having the hand held gives it an advantoge over Hoover uprights with no brush stop switch.  The WT Hoovers get low scores on reliability.  I have not used one for years so I can only report what I read.

The Platinum has the Hoover name, however I doubt it is a true Hoover design.  All vacs have their quirks.  I can't say that I have found one and I highly recommend the Platinum. You should at least try one at home. Just purchase from a store with liberal return policy.

You like to ask questions and get answers.  Now let's reverse roles for a change.  I have several questions for you:

1. Which of these above mentioned brands/models were you using just before the purchase and use of HOOVER lightweight bagged platinum?  
  2. How long were you using? 
  3. How much square feet of rug are you typically vacuuming?
  4. ..and how often did you vacuum with these vacuums before the HOOVER lightweight and how often do you vacuum now with the HOOVER lightweight bagged Platinum?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Yesterday by CarmineD

Can't get anywhere unless you answer.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #111   May 14, 2010 8:56 pm
WRT the Oreck OBT issue, remember that Oreck stores repair all makes and models. The gather tons of info from the people who walk through the door, from those getting a vac repaired, to those shopping for a new vac, to those just buying bags, whether for on Oreck or other brand.  Hardly any of the OBT uprights that come in still have the tools on board. The customers normally have no clue what happened to them, except that  they fell off. The customers DO like the wand/hose to grab debris out of reach of the upright head, but did not care for the inconvenience of the slinky type hose and the way it collapses when any resistance is applied with a tool.. The majority of the people surveyed, Oreck owners and non, have a small canister for their upholstery, draperies, and so on.

Oreck discarded the 'longer hose-more tools' idea for their lightweight uprights because they offer uprights with a full complement of tools, and suction high enough to deep clean upholstery. To incorporate that concept into the open fan design of the traditional lightweight Oreck uprights is not easily done, and would be superfluous. If you want an Oreck pair, buy it, you want commercial grade OBT upright, buy it, and then there's always the Kirby, but then it does not have OBT (that we have seen, anyway)  No one cleaner has it all. Even Consumer reports says so.
Replies: 102 - 111 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42