Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 76 - 85 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #76   May 11, 2010 8:37 pm
Severus wrote:
There is a subtle but important difference between saying (1) you're "too honest" to be in sales, and (2) you have to be DISHONEST to be in sales. 

Sometimes it is not what you say but what you do not say to make a sale that to me is dishonest.

I am not saying that all sales persons are dishonest but so many are.  Speaking out of ignorance to make a sale is borderline dishonest.  Simply keep quiet or say I do not know.

Trebor

Reply #77   May 11, 2010 9:31 pm
Carmine and all,

My friend has managed this store for 10 years. It is the middle one of the three in terms of size, and is the best located.  It consistently outperforms the other two in terms of sales.  He is very honest. He wears his 'repairman' shirt with his name embroidered on it. People perceive him as the repairman and let their guard down and trust him.  He does not run sales, unless Miele or Sanitaire is sponsoring them, so there is no' take it now or no deal' sort of pressure. He listens a lot. and says often that if you listen the customer will tell you how to sell them and have them think it is their idea to buy.  The shop looks full, but not overcrowded. The fact that he carries two major lines reassures the customer that he has already done a lot of the work for them.  He never worries about who will come back, but a huge percentage do, and they hear him say the same things to customers. He is consistent.  "If you want deep cleaning AND extreme filtration that does not come cheap"  When someone says "I want deep cleaning, light weight, and on-board tools" he says 'pick two'   Some of his customers sheepishly walk in with a BAGLESS less than 6 mo old to trade in on a Miele or Sanitaire. It is amusing to watch.
CarmineD

Reply #78   May 11, 2010 9:43 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine and all,

My friend has managed this store for 10 years. It is the middle one of the three in terms of size, and is the best located.  It consistently outperforms the other two in terms of sales.  He is very honest. He wears his 'repairman' shirt with his name embroidered on it. People perceive him as the repairman and let their guard down and trust him.  He does not run sales, unless Miele or Sanitaire is sponsoring them, so there is no' take it now or no deal' sort of pressure. He listens a lot. and says often that if you listen the customer will tell you how to sell them and have them think it is their idea to buy.  The shop looks full, but not overcrowded. The fact that he carries two major lines reassures the customer that he has already done a lot of the work for them.  He never worries about who will come back, but a huge percentage do, and they hear him say the same things to customers. He is consistent.  "If you want deep cleaning AND extreme filtration that does not come cheap"  When someone says "I want deep cleaning, light weight, and on-board tools" he says 'pick two'   Some of his customers sheepishly walk in with a BAGLESS less than 6 mo old to trade in on a Miele or Sanitaire. It is amusing to watch.

Thanks Trebor.  10 years.  One decade.  Wonderful.  At the rate he's going with the brands and models he sells, and his business professionalism, he'll easily have many more years. If you satisfy the customers, they will keep coming back and recommend you to others.   Best way to build and grow the vacuum business.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #79   May 12, 2010 12:11 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

This is what I'm talking about.  You walk into a store and get fairytales. As always, the best consumer is the imformed consumer. It never hurts to keep an open mind and thoroughly research products you think you may be interested in buying.

By the way did the DC28 handle well at its lowest height setting?

Venson

Hi Venson:

The seller knows his DC28 pitch is dishonest.  He claims that a DC28 deep cleans better than any vacuums including the entire array of dysons to date.  [read: Seller's way of saying that a DC28 is the "best" and worth the highest price on the shelves at $599.]  I base my conclusion that he knows he dishonest on 3 reasons:  First, when I asked if he performed the test with a DC28 as the first vacuum followed by another brand/model last, he said yes with certainty and no hesitation.  An honest sales person would have offered more details about the models/brands tested and even better offer to do the tests with a DC28 first.  Using the same zeal he demonstrated to show how well a DC28 would pick up the bin dirt I dumped on the rug.   Second, when I asked if I could go over the same area we just vacuumed with a DC28 with a DC14, his face dropped.  I saw all the energy leave his body.  The time between the two exchanges was probably about 15 or 20 minutes.  Finally, he knew at the moment the DC14 picked up more dirt he lost a sale.  He didn't and couldn't say anything more.  He could have saved himself by saying he never tried vacuuming with a DC14 last, if in fact he didn't and therefore wouldn't have known the outcome.  He didn't [save himself] because he knew the outcome of the test.  I uncovered his dishonest sales pitch.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 12, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #80   May 12, 2010 7:36 am
Severus wrote:
There is a subtle but important difference between saying (1) you're "too honest" to be in sales, and (2) you have to be DISHONEST to be in sales. 

Hello SEVERUS:

Good point.  I'd like to make another distinction WRT marketing and product sales.  There is a line drawn by the courts and legal authorities between "sales puffing" and "dishonesty" when marketing and selling products.  "Never clogs, never loses suction" is a claim that an abitration authority [the ASA], vested with the purpose, ruled was not to be used in writing in product sales literature.  Is it dishonest?  I have to presume so and say yes it is.  If it were "sales puffing," it would be allowable.  While legal and quasi legal entities can regulate what is written by product makers, it can't dictate and police what is said for sales pitches.  As evidenced by the oldest dishonest sales pitch for vacuums in the industry.  Venson's point that an informed consumer is the best remedy for myths [and dishonesty] is right on the money. 

PS: I hope I'm not being "too honest" and offending some person's feelings and beliefs..

Carmine D.  

HARDSELL

Reply #81   May 12, 2010 7:58 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello SEVERUS:

Good point.  I'd like to make another distinction WRT marketing and product sales.  There is a line drawn by the courts and legal authorities between "sales puffing" and "dishonesty" when marketing and selling products.  "Never clogs, never loses suction" is a claim that an abitration authority [the ASA], vested with the purpose, ruled was not to be used in writing in product sales literature.  Is it dishonest?  I have to presume so and say yes it is.  If it were "sales puffing," it would be allowable.  While legal and quasi legal entities can regulate what is written by product makers, it can't dictate and police what is said for sales pitches.  As evidenced by the oldest dishonest sales pitch for vacuums in the industry.  Venson's point that an informed consumer is the best remedy for myths [and dishonesty] is right on the money. 

PS: I hope I'm not being "too honest" and offending some person's feelings and beliefs..

Carmine D.  

Is the Navigator puffing or dishonest?
CarmineD

Reply #82   May 12, 2010 8:12 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Is the Navigator puffing or dishonest?

It is one of several vacuums I'm currently considering for purchase and use.  If and when I do [purchase], and have personal and professional experience with it, I will be in a better position to provide an honest and expert broker's answer to the the question you pose.  In the mean time vacuum buyers should follow Venson's advice.  Be an informed consumer, do your homework and research all products before buying.  Probably want to do more of the latter before spending $599 on a product [DC28] plus tax than $150 [Shark Navigator Pet].

Back to ORECK.  For all the reasons discussed above, I like the Dave Oreck money back guarantee with no questions asked after 30 days of free in home use.  Plus, buyers keep the giveaways for their time and trouble.  Can't beat that for being "too honest" in a sales puffing pitch with ORECK's honest claim: If not completely satisfied, return it before 30 days and get your money back.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #83   May 12, 2010 8:54 am
CarmineD wrote:
It is one of several vacuums I'm currently considering for purchase and use.  If and when I do [purchase], and have personal and professional experience with it, I will be in a better position to provide an honest and expert broker's answer to the the question you pose.  In the mean time vacuum buyers should follow Venson's advice.  Be an informed consumer, do your homework and research all products before buying.  Probably want to do more of the latter before spending $599 on a product [DC28] plus tax than $150 [Shark Navigator Pet].

Back to ORECK.  For all the reasons discussed above, I like the Dave Oreck money back guarantee with no questions asked after 30 days of free in home use.  Plus, buyers keep the giveaways for their time and trouble.  Can't beat that for being "too honest" in a sales puffing pitch with ORECK's honest claim: If not completely satisfied, return it before 30 days and get your money back.

Carmine D.

How does one research if no data is available?  $150 would be money wasted it the vac doesn't perform or fails in a short time.

BB allows 30 days on vacuums. Sears, WM, Lowes and HD allow 90 days.  Costco 1 year.  No questions asked. Even Ol Dave can't beat that when you consider that you overpaid for an electric broom if you keep the Oreck.  BTW, the freebies (worth more than the vac) are not included in the lesser priced Oreck deals.  Neither is the hand held.  By your own admittance (professional view) the Oreck is not a deep cleaning machine. 

CarmineD

Reply #84   May 12, 2010 9:13 am
HARDSELL wrote:
How does one research if no data is available?  $150 would be money wasted it the vac doesn't perform or fails in a short time.

BB allows 30 days on vacuums. Sears, WM, Lowes and HD allow 90 days.  Costco 1 year.  No questions asked. Even Ol Dave can't beat that when you consider that you overpaid for an electric broom if you keep the Oreck.  BTW, the freebies (worth more than the vac) are not included in the lesser priced Oreck deals.  Neither is the hand held.  By your own admittance (professional view) the Oreck is not a deep cleaning machine. 

ORECK and Dave's product claim of complete satisfaction and free in home trial use for 30 days is the only such and best sales endorsement in the vacuum industry.  It is a staple of ORECK sales for over 45 years.  Obvious to me, since no other vacuum company makes the product promise, almost 'too honest' for vacuum sales.

ORECK doesn't clean and groom as well as any of my HOOVER WT uprights: The Gold standard of rug cleaning and grooming.  But it is a decent rug cleaning and grooming contender as well as an excellent barefloor cleaner.  Probably better on floors than any of my HOOVER uprights.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #85   May 12, 2010 5:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK and Dave's product claim of complete satisfaction and free in home trial use for 30 days is the only such and best sales endorsement in the vacuum industry.  It is a staple of ORECK sales for over 45 years.  Obvious to me, since no other vacuum company makes the product promise, almost 'too honest' for vacuum sales.

ORECK doesn't clean and groom as well as any of my HOOVER WT uprights: The Gold standard of rug cleaning and grooming.  But it is a decent rug cleaning and grooming contender as well as an excellent barefloor cleaner.  Probably better on floors than any of my HOOVER uprights.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Orecks guarentee is rock solid....excellent customer service....on trade ins-returns -repairs and sales.

A w\t deep cleaer it isnt,,, but a commercial to low pile heavy duty cleaner it is....commercial tough...just wish it wasnt so loud. cant really use during work hours.

How do you rate the old xl pro clean air upright.....never had a chance to try one out.....so whats your take on it.

turtle

Replies: 76 - 85 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42